Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 21-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
so MRT's will be redundant. I know this has been a hotly disputed topic elsewhere on this forum, but the simple fact is you won't be able to use your MRT transponders at certain clubs in the near future.
That is until they have a fix sorted that is
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 21-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
Definitely agree with this, regardless of temperature issues as clubs are starting to make the move to RC4 anyway so MRT's will be redundant. I know this has been a hotly disputed topic elsewhere on this forum, but the simple fact is you won't be able to use your MRT transponders at certain clubs in the near future.

That's the bad news, the better news is I believe the trade in to equate to a cost of around £30 which isn't too bad when you get a top notch harry pt in exchange.

I can't remember the precise details, but there is a thread on the Silverstone page with all the info.

**Edit - just checked the SRCMCC page and the £30 offer is only to club members. I would assume similar offers will be available to all other clubs too though!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
That is until they have a fix sorted that is
Has anyone talked to MRT, are they actually working on a fix, or are they going to keep selling transponders to people only to have those folks find out in short order they're holding a worthless piece of plastic and circuitry????
Old 21-01-2013

Good question! Anyone care to answer?
Old 21-01-2013

I have spoken to MRT.
This is what they say.....

"We have been unable to assess
either the RC4 'Hybrid' or the full RC4 system updates
for compatibility due to having not been in a position
to carry out tests before now. Until an understanding
of exactly what has changed and how it's not possible
to comment further or to confirm anything either way.

We will be doing everything we can after we've found out
what's going on to enable you to continue in future."
Old 21-01-2013

Thanks Pip!

So does any club who have or 'will' upgrade care to help out here, or is that "against" the unwritten rules here, be it ultimately for the benefit of its racers....?
Old 21-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Thanks Pip!

So does any club who have or 'will' upgrade care to help out here, or is that "against" the unwritten rules here, be it ultimately for the benefit of its racers....?
I don't think that clubs will be jumping to assist you here pal, especially after you've continually let your opinion be known and don't forget most don't care about the racers at all, eh. I understand your frustration I do, but there are ways to get your point across. I even admire your 'look after the little man' I really do. I've constantly said that this hobby is expensive enough without this change, however that is life. It's not our choice and things will only be made more difficult for the 'little guy' if clubs don't move together. At Silverstone we promote cost effective racing at all costs especially as we have so many families starting to race together which make the costs spiral crazily. Any hobby, especially in this country, incur changes and expense. It is the way of the world and I, like you, dislike it, however unlike you I accept it.
Before anyone says I'm supporting BBK/Mylaps because I've managed to setup a cheaper deal for members please don't as this is not true at all. I did try, but the price was nonnegotiable! Silverstone club have setup a deal for trade in off our own back as we want to support and feel for 'the little guy'.
I don't know you Upgrade and I'm sure you're lovely. I'm just giving my opinion and don't want a row about it.
Sorry if I've discussed two threads in one post, but it was easier.
Matt
Old 21-01-2013

Hi Matt,
No worries, and no argument here, it was an open question, which perhaps I already knew the answer to! (wink wink)...

I didn't realise it was "bad" to let people know my opinion! I don't think I said that most clubs didn't care about their racers, I merely said that I thought clubs were there to suppport their racers -in response to a comment made about "hating" mrt's

Like I said on the other thread, I don't do or like the whole cloak and dagger approach...Its actually nice to hear someone (else?) come out and talk honestly (imho) about the costs of it all... I agree there is strength in numbers to look after ALL the racers and maybe thats a bit of why I've banged on about it a bit, do we did we really need to do this so soon? Could we have waited a bit? I do feel bbk/mylaps have done this very agressively and not for the best interests of the customers.. which catches in my throat, but thats just me repeating myself...

oh and me lovely... nah, you must have me mistaken with someone else, just look at what I've been writing recently!!!!
Old 21-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Hi Matt,
No worries, and no argument here, it was an open question, which perhaps I already knew the answer to! (wink wink)...

I didn't realise it was "bad" to let people know my opinion! I don't think I said that most clubs didn't care about their racers, I merely said that I thought clubs were there to suppport their racers -in response to a comment made about "hating" mrt's

Like I said on the other thread, I don't do or like the whole cloak and dagger approach...Its actually nice to hear someone (else?) come out and talk honestly (imho) about the costs of it all... I agree there is strength in numbers to look after ALL the racers and maybe thats a bit of why I've banged on about it a bit, do we did we really need to do this so soon? Could we have waited a bit? I do feel bbk/mylaps have done this very agressively and not for the best interests of the customers.. which catches in my throat, but thats just me repeating myself...

oh and me lovely... nah, you must have me mistaken with someone else, just look at what I've been writing recently!!!!
What we write, say and who we are are sometimes completely different things, although I've made a misjudgement very recently!

I do understand your pain, I promise. From a purely selfish point of view I'm not pleased because I only own MRT's. With a wife, 2 kids under 3 and an RC addiction this is not good news. I will have to go without another couple of luxuries for a while.

Silverstone have made the early move, selfishly. We have very early regional and our winter series will be finished by the time we make the change. We will have a decent amount of handouts available for the racer who wants to race and hasn't upgraded as everyone through the door is a priority, ability regardless! I wouldn't recommend any other club upgrade until they are ready. Everyone's circumstances are completely different.

I hope to meet you at this years regional series.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 21-01-2013
Mad Member

The problem is with the new RC4 Purcys, if clubs do not upgrade and someone turns up with a Purcy how do you count his or her laps?

MRT have copied AMB's/Mylaps product, why shouldn't they protect it? Mylaps freezing out MRT's has been on the cards for a good couple of years now.

I have a 1st gen AMB, so I'm ok but this won't stop me from getting a new Harry or Purcy on the exchange.

It's the clubs with rc2 and old rc3 decoders I feel for.
Old 21-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getpip View Post
I have spoken to MRT.
This is what they say.....

"We have been unable to assess
either the RC4 'Hybrid' or the full RC4 system updates
for compatibility due to having not been in a position
to carry out tests before now. Until an understanding
of exactly what has changed and how it's not possible
to comment further or to confirm anything either way.

We will be doing everything we can after we've found out
what's going on to enable you to continue in future."
Interesting response, but to me it's as if they dropped the ball on this one.
As soon as the RC4 system started becoming available one would have thought they'd have figured out a way to get their hands on one of the first ones.... one way or another.... if for no other reason than to keep their relevance in the hobby and to keep a lot of customers from getting pissed off.