Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-11-2014

Default wet care ?

Had a fun but very wet days racing at torch today , was just wondering what people do to keep there rc in top order after ? Thought I herd someone say about striping the diff down as it would of got wet ? That sort of thing thanks for any in put
Old 16-11-2014

Water proof the leccys spray the four corners in wd40 then after racing take the electrics out dry the electrics then spay the car in wd40 then rebuild and clean
Old 16-11-2014

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

-Buy waterproof servos electrics

-Brushed motors work fine even when submerged in water (will corrode if water stay inside though)

-Seal receiver in balloons

-Batteries tend to be OK in practice if just messing in the rain, probably best if they dont get submerged.

I tend to set up one of my cars as a 'beater' with all above waterproofing and will be used in the rain and put away wet, so the nice cars are kept nice.

the beater is always a cheap entry level model though as these are designed as tanks for new drivers and tend to have enough slop that suspension is physically unable to sieze, and jave cheap bearings that wobble after 2 runs, but again cant sieze up.

I hwve had an ansmann master smacker buggy (google it) for 4 years and gave it its first ever clean this summer, after 4 years of running in mud, rain and snow, it was horrible to work on with a layer of brown gunk on everything, and sounded like a nitro car as the origional bearings were so rusty, but it still worked fine in the rain when my nice cars sat on the shelf

Ps: don't run a brushless racing rc through water, it WILL break down, and you WILL be laughed at by fellow racers who 'told you so'

TRY AT OWN RISK, ENTRY LEVEL RC'S DONT TEND TO SEIZE TO MUCH, RACE LEVEL RC'S WILL SEIZE BIG TIME
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Last edited by Ben The Bike; 16-11-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 16-11-2014

Just posted by Mendip RC Raceway Facebook page....
Quote:
Wet Weather Treatment.
With the winter season upon us here's a little advice for our newer racers, don't forget to keep a can of WD40 in your tool box.
With the wheels off your buggy make sure you give the four corners, the front & rear hubs of the buggy, a liberal coating of WD40 making sure the bearings, drive shafts & axles are coated, wipe off any excess before fitting the wheels.
In between races use the airline to blast of dirt, sand & moisture.
After the finals it's a good idea to give the car a good cleaning off with the airline, remove the wheels & give the bearings, drive shafts & axles a good coating of WD40 again, wipe off the excess after a few hours when you get home.
A soft towel & a plastic bag big enough to fit your buggy are useful things to keep in you pit box for the winter.
-Josh Hardwick | FRC
Old 20-11-2014

I use Wet Protect on all my Electrics, works by sealing the components which stops the water from making contact. check the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823Crb9C_I4

Heaths Rc Models has this in stock, same stuff as the Schumacher stuff, but comes in a far mucher larger can

Heaths Rc Models
01702 553700