Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-02-2014

Default Which dualsky ESC

Advice please guys,

built my durango dex210 and decided to go with dualsky as electrics package but can't decide on which esc, the XC850 or XC870 ?

The 850 comes with instructions but no fan

The 870 is the latest but doesn't come with instructions but does have a fan but I can't see how it is attached as the heatsink in angled and there don't appear to be any screw holes like on the LRP flow

????????????

Your thoughts please

Regs
Old 16-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown4s View Post
Advice please guys,

built my durango dex210 and decided to go with dualsky as electrics package but can't decide on which esc, the XC850 or XC870 ?

The 850 comes with instructions but no fan

The 870 is the latest but doesn't come with instructions but does have a fan but I can't see how it is attached as the heatsink in angled and there don't appear to be any screw holes like on the LRP flow

????????????

Your thoughts please

Regs
Hi,

The man to ask is John jones, John333 on here I think. He's good with all things dualsky.

We have an 850, and all dualsky electrics....I think they're brilliant
Old 16-02-2014
oOple Advertiser

Both are amazing Speedo's, and both are 150 amps. The fan Is screwed on via the slots in the heatsink (sounds weird but works very well) and so can be fitted where it doesn't catch anything. There is info on the SMD website instructions wise.

I these things really are up there with the best, Nathan waters won the last worksop with a dualsky set up, and at west bridgeford buggy blitz this weekend, 3 out of the top 4 ran dualsky.

For the small extra cost I'd go for the 870 as it comes with the fan (won't be needed in 2wd) but you'll have the option of fitting it in a 4wd and fling it around the track with no overheating worries, ever.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 17-02-2014

John many thanks for the response

Regs

Stuart
Old 17-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john333 View Post
The fan Is screwed on via the slots in the heatsink (sounds weird but works very well) and so can be fitted where it doesn't catch anything.
I've got/had 3 or 4 ESCs where the fan screws wedge themselves between the heatsink blades. It works fine.
Old 17-02-2014

I've got the 800tf (same case dimensions as 850tf) and the 870tf.

The 870 is a great speedo, same footprint as the 800 and 850, however the heatsink makes it quite a lot taller which would make it tricky to fit under the shell of a lot of buggies.

For touring car where your pulling serious amps and would benefit from extra cooling I would go 870. For 2WD buggy I would go with 850 because of its compact size.

You will also need to buy the programming dongle if you want to adjust the advanced settings, update firmwares etc.

No need to worry about fans with any of the Dualsky 8xx range when used in 2WD
Old 17-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Run both in 2 and 4 never needed a fan, agree go for the 870 unless you need a lower profile.
Old 17-02-2014

So if I go for the 870 guys this will fit in a durango dex210 with a view to using it in 4wd (prob a durango dex410) ?

And I know you all say you don't need the fan in 2wd but out of interest would the 870 fit in a dex210 with the fan or in dex4
Old 17-02-2014

Quote:
So if I go for the 870 guys this will fit in a durango dex210 with a view to using it in 4wd (prob a durango dex410) ?

And I know you all say you don't need the fan in 2wd but out of interest would the 870 fit in a dex210 with the fan or in dex4
I used to run a 210 with a shorty lipo as far back in the chassis as possible, so could fit my 870 between the servo and the lipo. If you have a shorty lipo I would give that set-up a go as never had an issue and it handled very well

Good choice with dualsky, I've run them since getting back into racing and never had a problem that wasn't self inflicted

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 17-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good choice, I've the 700, 850 & now the 870 can not fault them , I've never ran a fan with mine

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 18-02-2014

I am confused now ?

I was intending to buy normal sized lipos and then purchase the 870 and fit it in along side the battery

Would this work, don't want to end up in a situation where I have purchased both (normal size lipo and 870) and then can't fit the speedo in becasue of space
Old 18-02-2014
Mad Member

With a shortie battery and a small enough ESC, you can mount both on the centerline of the car. As you have enough length.
With a full size battery you just mount the ESC in the side pod, as per normal/the instructions. Only restriction with that is the height of the ESC, which in this car/ESC combination, shouldn't be an issue
Old 18-02-2014

Quote:
I am confused now ?

I was intending to buy normal sized lipos and then purchase the 870 and fit it in along side the battery

Would this work, don't want to end up in a situation where I have purchased both (normal size lipo and 870) and then can't fit the speedo in becasue of space
870 is 28mm tall and a mm for the thickness of double sided tape = 29mm.

Measure the space under your shell to check.

850 is a really small speedo as brushless go so will fit pretty much anywhere, 870 is small footprint but taller, so you just have to check your sizes.

I measure a DEX210 with kit shell as having 30mm inside height from chassis to shell at the side pod.... so 870 should fit, but measure your own car to be sure.

850 will fit with plenty of room around.

Both are excellent speedos and will give you top notch performance. I've had several Dualskys and been very happy with them. For buggy the only difference I think you will notice is that the 870 has a two stage boost.