Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 21-12-2009

Default Team Durango's 1/8th Buggy

Anyone have word on Team Durango's 1/8th buggy? Photos, release date, Electric version etc???
Old 21-12-2009

Nope.

It will be revealed at Nuremburg, if anywhere in 2010. It might take longer than that.

I don't know whether there will be an electric version, as info is quite thin on the ground.
Old 21-12-2009

I sure hope it has a chassis layout near identical to the 1/10th version. That would be the motivating factor to change brands for me.
Old 21-12-2009

Totally agree, I came up with a few designs to copy the 1/10 layout, but could never quite work with the size constraints, or they required a new chassis to be made, which I couldn't afford to get made.

I'd like to see what they come up with if they do 1/8 electric. The cynic in me (a large proportion) suggests that it'll be like most of the other 'official' conversions - space for 2 1/10 packs down one side, and everything else on the other - yawn.
Old 22-12-2009
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Totally agree, I came up with a few designs to copy the 1/10 layout, but could never quite work with the size constraints, or they required a new chassis to be made, which I couldn't afford to get made.

I'd like to see what they come up with if they do 1/8 electric. The cynic in me (a large proportion) suggests that it'll be like most of the other 'official' conversions - space for 2 1/10 packs down one side, and everything else on the other - yawn.
how much is too much to get one made? i may be able to help you out
Old 22-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The cynic in me (a large proportion) suggests that it'll be like most of the other 'official' conversions - space for 2 1/10 packs down one side, and everything else on the other - yawn.
Ya normally im not a fan of running 2 packs one on each side, except where they did it on the durango by lifting the drive train. So cool. Then that servo location! wow. If it is like the "official" conversions like you said then that would be disappointing and one would wonder why make a 1/8th buggy if its going to get lost in the pack like that. Well we are getting ahead of ourselves, the gas version is supposed to come out first right? BOOOOOO

Oh hey, if the physics about not using a diff on a 1/10scale 4x4 have the durango 410 the way it is, why does a 1/8th need one either? why not just have a slipper too and save space and rotating mass? Many people i know lock those centers up tight so they dont unload power unevenly anyways.
Old 22-12-2009

The cars are much heavier and the tracks are much rougher in 1/8 than in 1/10 (everywhere but the US anyway...). The centre diff really aids traction over rough parts of the track - try locking your centre diff - you'll lose steering, bump handling ability and traction.
Old 22-12-2009
Super Moderator

Mine was a little bit locked at the Neo '09

G
Old 25-12-2009

Side track. For those who like having a good balance and running 2 packs on either side of the chassis, u can consider going for Caster EX1 or Caster F8T. I have both. They are both designed for electric use. batteries are fitted on either side for a better balance. I'm enjoying mine. I have both. Ha!
Old 25-12-2009

Here you go:

That's the Durango 1/8th electric prototype they were racing at the Neo09.
I like it, i'm working on a conversion with the same layout, 808-based.

The nitro version will come out first, though.
Old 26-12-2009

Can't see where exactly the batteries will be. Looks nice though.
Old 26-12-2009

Either side of the rear driveshaft I guess.

My concern about having the batteries at the back is that it puts a lot of the weight over the back, which means you lose steering.

Nice find by the way.
Old 26-12-2009

Yep, batteries go both sides behind the center diff.

This RC8 has the same mounts since Gerd Strenge helped on its conversion:

I don't think this makes the car lose steering Marvin, it might have a similar or better weight balance than the nitro version.
Besides, the brushless motor weights more than a full tank, that means more weight to the front and it doesn't go away due to fuel consumption.
Old 27-12-2009

yep, guys that use 2x of these packs

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-13...X--dsh-/Detail

at 188g each x2= 376g and will run 10-14 min on most of our buggies or truggies. by comparison Tekin buggy motors are about 340g and truggy weight in at about 400g so actually if you include the diff, servos, esc, receiver and motor the front is alot heavier than the back, and probably about the same even if you use 5kmah packs.

Great job on those pics ty again