Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 16-11-2009

Default Front diff coming loose

As you know I've just replaced the plastic shafts at the front with the steel ones. I've rebuilt the front diff but it seems to keep working loose all the time. Even when I just play with the diff in my hands.

I've tightened the nut so that the diff is smooth to turn and there are no grinds or tight spots. If I tighten it anymore, then it starts to get tight and rough.

Should I be putting some sort of lock-tight on the threads to stop them from coming loose?

Getting back into it after 14 year...so be gentle
Web Design Durham
Old 16-11-2009

You are not tightening it enough, in your hand it should feel rough but not notchy and in the car should feel smooth when turning wheels. To set you need to hold the spur with your thumb and pin down a front wheel and try to turn the other front wheel, the slipper should turn on the spur before the diff slips, if you are locking the diff up to make the slipper work then your slipper is too tight. It is a balancing act but is easy to do with a little practice, but the slipper needs to be set right or you will eat diff gears especially in perm't 4wd.
HTH SimonW.
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 16-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
You are not tightening it enough, in your hand it should feel rough but not notchy and in the car should feel smooth when turning wheels. To set you need to hold the spur with your thumb and pin down a front wheel and try to turn the other front wheel, the slipper should turn on the spur before the diff slips, if you are locking the diff up to make the slipper work then your slipper is too tight. It is a balancing act but is easy to do with a little practice, but the slipper needs to be set right or you will eat diff gears especially in perm't 4wd.
HTH SimonW.
Thanks Simon.

I'll give that a go.

Web Design Durham
Old 16-11-2009

When I turn one of the front wheels, obviously the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction, but should it also be trying to turn the centre shaft? In my mind I'm thinking it should , and that it means I've got the front diff too tight. Am I right?

Web Design Durham