Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 08-05-2014

Default anyone prefer bmax4 v2 over v3?

just curious if anyone prefers the V2 bmax4 composite ball diffed car over the newer V3 gear diffed alu chassis, on loose to medium traction tracks?
Old 08-05-2014

Hello - Yes !!

I have both cars and can defiantly say that the plastic B-max4 is a better car indoors where I race regularly (York).
I’ve been driving the plastic chassis B-Max4’s for a few years now and have become very familiar with the car and my set-up for indoors is spot on, as for the version 3 I have only been running one of these since late January - don’t get me wrong the B-Max4 III is a great car and turns a lot quicker than the plastic car, but I feel it can be a bit “scatty” to drive as it has so much more steering, I have found it far easier to make errors, especially when you really want to push hard in a race - I find the car just starts slipping away from me…..
The plastic B-Max has more of an understeer characteristic in the way it drives and you have to slide it into corners - far more to my liking and I can push the car and still feel in control !!
The version 3 Bmax4 maybe a lot better to drive indoors with the optional ball diff’s fitted and a carbon chassis, but I have my doubts as it would match the plastic car for overall driving satisfaction.

So if you like Yokomo 4wd cars the best advise I could give anybody is:

Indoors - on mixed carpet / polished floors - run a B-Max4 II (plastic chassis car).
Outdoors - on Astro or Dirt - run a B-Max4 III (with gear diffs).

Hope this helps ??

Rob.
Old 09-05-2014

I like the III more, both indoor and outdoor. II is a very solid car as well. So if you want to go cheap, go II, because it's going out of stock everywhere. If you want to go for a little better, go III.
Old 09-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyaflake View Post
I like the III more, both indoor and outdoor. II is a very solid car as well. So if you want to go cheap, go II, because it's going out of stock everywhere. If you want to go for a little better, go III.
is the outdoor track you race on medium to loose traction?

I have found gear diffed cars to be hard to drive on, anything but high traction tracks. Especially if its bumpy, I prefer ball diffs.
Old 10-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
is the outdoor track you race on medium to loose traction?

I have found gear diffed cars to be hard to drive on, anything but high traction tracks. Especially if its bumpy, I prefer ball diffs.
I think once you get the oils in the diffs right it will match a ball diffed car on slippy surfaces. Different car i drive but im faster than ive ever been with the gear diffs indoors on slippy. Much much better outdoors too.

If your struggling on slippy id recommend going much heavier on the oil weight up front to give a more understeery feel.