Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 19-05-2008
Mad Member

Default 3 or 4-gear?

Just out of curiosity, which are the advantages and disadvantages of both 3-gear and 4-gear systems? And is there any other way that might be leading to the holy grail?

Old 19-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

when your on throttle the rotational mass of the armature throws the car’s weight forward onto the front wheels with 3 gear where as 4 Gear turns the motor around so the armature throws the car’s weight back onto the rear wheels so with 3 gear you have more steering but less grip rear end on steering where as with 4 gear you have more rear end grip on throttle but slightly less steering which is over all better as abit of setup change can give you more steering
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nearly ..... depends on which way the motor is facing.

With a convensional 2wd a 3 gear places the motor so the pinion shaft is on the right hand side (viewed from above ... front away from you) so the rotation of the armature helps aid traction as Mike says.

In a mid mounted 2wd a 3 gear reverses this and so the 4 gear transmission is used to correct for this.

There have been belt driven 2wds (Schumacher and Kyosho) but to be honest there is was little too much drag in them compared to the free running gear trains.

I think that there is nothing revolutionary that can happen to 2wds with transverse mounted motors.
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

im not sure your right Roger.

in mid-motor cars the motor still runs 'forwards' and if its go 3 gears in a traditional gearbox setup the kick of the motor will always kick the weight towards the front of the car in a B4 or an X-6

the pinion/spur for 3-gear trans that are done 'right' and not just a home-made-job have the spur/pinion on the right side of the car.

the 4-gear boxes have the spur/pinion on the left and the kick is reversed.
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Chis is spot on. As per usual

I think Roger might be confusing some of the DIY conversions which have been done which actually just spin the gearbox around, this means you need to effectively run the motor in reverse to make the car go forward.

Either that or his explinasion is confusing

Mike explains the "effect" of the two types very well.
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

even the DIY cars, the motor ended up kicking the same way on a 3-gear car because you had to run it backwards
Old 20-05-2008
Mad Member

I'm sorry for interrupting guys, but here is another question
Suppose you have 2wd buggy, which you want to convert to a mid-motor one. Do you think it is possible to have the motor in an other direction (like B44) with endbell pointed forward? With this I mean with the motor as central as possible, maybe even perfectly centered. And would the movement of the motor have any (negative) effect on the car's handling?

Old 20-05-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

Torque reaction/steer? Not so good for making changes in the air

Nortech is ACE!
Old 20-05-2008
Mad Member

So not advisable for a 2wd car? Too bad, as the weight would be positioned very central.

Old 20-05-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rossi View Post
I'm sorry for interrupting guys, but here is another question
Suppose you have 2wd buggy, which you want to convert to a mid-motor one. Do you think it is possible to have the motor in an other direction (like B44) with endbell pointed forward? With this I mean with the motor as central as possible, maybe even perfectly centered. And would the movement of the motor have any (negative) effect on the car's handling?
Something like this ?

Old 20-05-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

thats the one me and matt were thinking of getting a little while ago
Old 20-05-2008
Mad Member

There was another version below, but the spec B was the best, only thing stopping me developing the Spec B at the time was the lack of a decent slipper clutch. It was very nicely balanced and drove like a 4wd.

But now the B44 slipper is out, which is a lot more adjustable who knows lol.

Old 20-05-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Something like this?
Yes, but with the motor further backwards, without the center CVD bone, so against the gear box like the S2 and X-6, but faced in another direction.

Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
im not sure your right Roger.

in mid-motor cars the motor still runs 'forwards' and if its go 3 gears in a traditional gearbox setup the kick of the motor will always kick the weight towards the front of the car in a B4 or an X-6

the pinion/spur for 3-gear trans that are done 'right' and not just a home-made-job have the spur/pinion on the right side of the car.

the 4-gear boxes have the spur/pinion on the left and the kick is reversed.
I would have thought that the armature shaft position relative to the wheel axle would play a part too .... maybe wrong ... will think about it some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
Chis is spot on. As per usual

I think Roger might be confusing some of the DIY conversions which have been done which actually just spin the gearbox around, this means you need to effectively run the motor in reverse to make the car go forward.

Either that or his explinasion is confusing

Mike explains the "effect" of the two types very well.

Ok ..... never seen a 3 gear mid-mounted 2wd with the motor mounted with the so the pinion shaft is on the "conventional" side ..... then I was racing gas for nearly 3 years so may have missed them!
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rossi View Post
Yes, but with the motor further backwards, without the center CVD bone, so against the gear box like the S2 and X-6, but faced in another direction.
I believe in the home made section of oople someone has done this using a ZX-5 gearbox and rear end, looked quite good.
Old 21-05-2008

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
I would have thought that the armature shaft position relative to the wheel axle would play a part too .... maybe wrong ... will think about it some more.
No, the position of the motor relative to the rear axle doesn't matter when considering the weight transfer effects of the motor's rotational inertia. I was surprised when I worked it out, too.

<physics>
Here's my understanding/reasoning: The torque the motor exerts on the driveline has to be counteracted by an equal and opposite torque from the chassis, otherwise the motor would just spin in the car and never turn the driveline. Where does the chassis' torque come from? The ground - it loads up some wheels more than others, which is what we call weight transfer. So, how does the motor's position play into this interaction? Well, torques act over distances (Torque = Force x radius). Obviously, the effective distance between the motor and the chassis (I'll just call it the chassis instead of getting into center of mass and etc) is the same as the from the chassis to the motor. Since the two torques mentioned earlier have to be equal (thanks Newton!), the length terms drop out of the equation. So anywhere the motor is on the chassis - behind the rear axle, mid, up front, anywhere - the weight transfer effect is going to be the same. Changing the motor's direction simply changes the direction of the weight transfer, not its magnitude.
</physics>

Hope that all makes sense.
Old 21-05-2008

Motor... driveline... you're probably right. And maybe somewhere along the driveline, anti-squat will come in and play.
But I think this entire 3-versus-4-gear business isn't about drive train torque, that's the same in any case. I think it's about the rotational inertia of the armature ... ... and pinion. Because they spin so much faster, their combined inertia is much bigger than the inertia of spur, slipper, diff,... the only other factor big enough to be significant being tyres. (tires to you, Paul ) Anyway, yeah, inertia. The thing that makes a motor jump out of your hand when you hit full throttle holding it, that 'kick'. I think it does matter *where* the kick happens. The closer to the rear axle, the bigger the (instantaneous) weight transfer.
I think this is the reason the XX4 flies the way it does, with the motor spinning 'the wrong way' (IMHO) but being way forward.

***Disclaimer*** Been a long day, brain in neutral, fingers in gear.

Last edited by elvo; 21-05-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: because I CAN
Old 21-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Paul your physics are sound with regard to torque couples.

I am however in agreement with Elvo that position on the fast rotating mass of the armature assembly .... particularly when there are large near instantaneous changes in it's speed of rotation.

Again, with Elvo ...... late, heavy day and not exactly firing on all cylinders ... was early when I made my first post.
As I say ... going to have to think about it some more.
Old 21-05-2008

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Agreed; the motor and tires (tyres to you, Elvo ) play the primary roles in the rotational-inertia game, and driveline can be practically discounted. We can even conclude that the tires play a larger role than the motor; if the armature's effect was larger than a "normal" motor-direction car would react oppositely to throttle changes in the air to what they do now - braking would lift the nose, and acceleration would drop it.

Anyways, I guess being a typical physicist I was singling out only the change in motor direction, and theoretically considering everything else on the car to be exactly the same. Further, I was only looking at the magnitude and direction of the torque generated in the chassis. In that case, the effect of flipping the motor would be the same no matter where it was located. The more practical things you guys are talking about - weight distribution, suspension settings, we could get into chassis flex if you wanted - I agree, those will affect how this "chassis torque" is realized as weight transfer, and thus how it is felt by the driver. Testing whether motor placement made a difference could be difficult, I think; you'd have to have two different cars (different motor placements) each with two different transmissions to reverse directions; however the cars couldn't vary much in terms of stiffness, weight distribution, suspension, etc, so that the motor position was the primary variable.

Fun Discussion!
Old 21-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You, Elvo and I will probably find this an interesting debate ..... I think most others will be asleep by the end of the next page ..... LOL

By the way I've finally got around to driving an X6 and I must say well done, quite a car!
The one I drove was a 4 gear but with a "less than perfect" set-up on it (sure the owner won't mind me saying that) but the potential was definately obvious. It wasn't quite as quick around a lap as my RB5 but then again a bit of set-up help for the regulalr owner / driver will no doubt get it there.
You can tell a car that has potential straight off, no matter how far off the set-up, just as easily as you can a car that is always going to be rubbish!