Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 31-03-2011
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

I know your angry at the diffs failing, but coming on oOple slating Durango doesnt do any good. Go to team durango and tell them what your problem is rather than having a dig at them on here!
Old 31-03-2011
Mad Member

We've all been at a dead end sometimes! Have someone else build the diffs for you, and then see exactly how they've done it. You're probably just missing something.

Sounds like you have too much play.

Good luck!

Just for the record: When the B44 came out, some had problems with gearbox havocs all the time. Others never ever. Clearly that was just incorrect shimming. There may be production tolerences as the moulds get worn, so you should always properly check the clearences, not follow the manual blindly. May be wise to start with it too tight, then take off 1 shim. If it's then free, you know you can't make it any tighter... And correct slipper adjustment of course, check that on the track. Make it too loose, then tighten until it slips just slightly. Don't use the "manual/measure setting".

Keep in mind that these are sophisticated racing machines, not toys. So you very seldom get a refund when something breaks. But some guys are extra nice, and give a refund/free parts even when there's been a user error. Doesen't hurt to send the parts and politely ask for new parts. But I'd be a bit humble about it!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 31-03-2011

Have you contacted TD directly? I'm guessing the way to go about these things are ask team drivers/friends/forum members with the same car first then if still no joy a polite email to the manufacturer explaining things clearly. If that solves it great if they just fob you off or fail to respond then bring it up on the forum. I don't think you'll get any refunds or free parts though. Can't see that. It does sound like an incorrect set up and no parts failure involved. When the 1.5mm pin issue came up that was (eventually) addressed and help/discounts given to those who needed it. So the system does work.

I've raced my Durango for over a year with a fairly tight slipper and had no issues like this, nor have I seen any other Durango with this sort of problem. Stick with it though as if this is your only problem a team driver can probably sort this then your off.
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Agree here. Fail to see how you can come on here claiming their built correctly when you have admitted having play in the input shaft.

Defiantly user error. My diffs have been fine since I built t it when they first came out

You should be apologizing to Durango.

I was expecting a few on here to come out with comments like this, read the whole thread before you all post next time. its not like im a noob at building diffs, i know what im doing and take care building them everytime.
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncrabb View Post
IF you need to shim it, you just need some 5mm shims, something like

http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD709015

I rebuilt one yesterday that had too much movement in the input shaft, I thought I would have to shim it, but cleaned it all out, and it closed up nicely with zero play.

Getting the mesh right is the key and no play anywhere.
so are these the shims for behind the 14t gear?
Old 31-03-2011
Mad Member

Good drivers with 10/20/30 years experience still make mistakes...

And trying to resolve this in cyberspace isn't the best solution IMHO. Have someone with the same car rebuild the diffs for you man! Then see step-by-step how they do it. There might be a "aha" along the way...

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 31-03-2011

You've got to love that AHA moment, can't be faked.
Old 31-03-2011
Mad Member

In this case possibly followed by a "monkey slap"

Visit my showroom
Old 31-03-2011

There must be something seriously wrong for you to be having this many problems.

Ive had the car for over 18 months and had no problems at all. This is obviously an isolated issue as nobody else is replying saying they have the problem.

I use the shims as per the instruction manual and have run my car week after week with no failures.

Like people have said, it doesnt do any good coming on here having a rant. Its very hard for people to help when you cant actually see whats going on.

Durango have contact details on their website including a phone number and email address. Your best off speaking to them direct to see if they can shed some light on waht is causing the problem before having a rant on here. Im sure if you call them they will be happy to help.

Let me know where your racing over the next few weeks, and if i happen to be going to the same place, ill personally take a look to see if theres anything obvious causing the problem.

The car has been out for over 18 months and nobody has had so many gear failures, so this is not a common problem at all.

Send me a PM with your contact details and ill give you a call to help if needed.

Craig
Old 31-03-2011

Good morning Captianlip,

sleep well?

the shims can be found on Mugen,Serpent,Kyosho 1/8th cars. we use the to space out the clutch bell

Not sure if Durango uses them on the 1/8buggy.

Yes, some reply with out read the whole thread.......
Old 31-03-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I too am running the gears shimmed as per the manual with no issues.

I'd take Craig up on the offer as he's been very helpful for me.
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

my gearbox is also shimmed per manual, and has no movement left to right, i believe (thanks to bozz) the issue is with the input gear 14t moving in and out, if its shimmed inwards i can see there should be no meshing problems.

my durango diffs should be made of gold the amout ive spent on them. if durango dont supply shims for this then its their fault and should take responsibility as they should have extensively tested this.
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

if someone can point me in the way of the shims for the 14t gear input shaft id be greatful as i cant find any
Old 31-03-2011

You would have a few more issues if they were made of gold surely.

If I were you I'd accept the offer of help now and let it lie. You're probably going to end up with a diff the rest of us will be jealous of.
Old 31-03-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
my gearbox is also shimmed per manual, and has no movement left to right, i believe (thanks to bozz) the issue is with the input gear 14t moving in and out, if its shimmed inwards i can see there should be no meshing problems.

my durango diffs should be made of gold the amout ive spent on them. if durango dont supply shims for this then its their fault and should take responsibility as they should have extensively tested this.
They do not need shims, on the input shaft, there should be no play. Simply take any play out by moving the cvd in or out and locking the grub screw.
So what experience do you have on building and meshing gear diffs?
Old 31-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
if durango dont supply shims for this then its their fault and should take responsibility as they should have extensively tested this.
The thing is you're the ONLY ONE who has had this problem.
All the rest of us who have been running the car for a long time haven't had any problems at all with our diffs.

The fact that you have gone through so many diffs means 2 possibilities.

1) faulty diffs. Slim chance it could be else the rest of us would have problems
2) you didn't build the transmission as good as you make out.

You repeatedly state you built it perfectly, etc, etc. but it keeps failing so perhaps you're not building them as perfectly as you think?

I'm pretty sure all the shims required were supplied in my kit to space everything out correctly too.
Old 31-03-2011

my durango diffs should be made of gold the amout ive spent on them. if durango dont supply shims for this then its their fault and should take responsibility as they should have extensively tested this.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you, the diffs have been extensivley tested and there should be no need for you to shim the input gear.

I have never shimmed the input gear. I have a few diffs with different oils which are all built the same with no issues.

If your doing the Nationals, ill be at Stotfold so come see me and ill take a look.

There has to be a logical explination to whats causing your problem and your initial post of 'Durango cant make diffs for s**t' is not the cause.

Craig
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
They do not need shims, on the input shaft, there should be no play.
read the whole thread and you will see my problem in doing this!
Old 31-03-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I can assure you, the diffs have been extensivley tested and there should be no need for you to shim the input gear.

I have never shimmed the input gear. I have a few diffs with different oils which are all built the same with no issues.

If your doing the Nationals, ill be at Stotfold so come see me and ill take a look.

There has to be a logical explination to whats causing your problem and your initial post of 'Durango cant make diffs for s**t' is not the cause.

Craig[/QUOTE]

it certainly is the case, as there is play forward and backwards in the input shaft, you can defend durango as much as you like, but there is a major flaw with these diffs I have recieved.

ive see pictures of other people with poorly machined parts from durango.

last night i was commented on how smooth and solid the diffs felt! 4 heats later it was they loudest piece of sh!t out there.

i love durangos when they work, but the fact this keeps happening im losing faith fast. durango should be sorting the issue out in extreme cases like this.
Old 31-03-2011

I think they are helping you out as you only posted a strongly worded, less than polite opinion on a forum and within a few hours you've got one of the top Durango drivers in the county offering you personal help, direct phone contact and trying to find out where you'll be racing so he can help out.