Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 20-06-2016

Default Help with liquid mask

Hello

I've bought some liquid mask to try but the instructions aren't very clear. So I've got a few question before I use it, hopefully some one on here can help answer. Sorry if they're stupid questions but I don't want to screw up my shell

Do I apply one or several layers of the mask?

How long should I let it dry?

Do I cut all the lines before painting and peel out the sections as I want to paint that area or cut and remove the sections as I want to paint them? (Hopefully that makes sense)

Thanks for you help.
Old 21-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc3009 View Post
Hello

I've bought some liquid mask to try but the instructions aren't very clear. So I've got a few question before I use it, hopefully some one on here can help answer. Sorry if they're stupid questions but I don't want to screw up my shell

Do I apply one or several layers of the mask?

How long should I let it dry?

Do I cut all the lines before painting and peel out the sections as I want to paint that area or cut and remove the sections as I want to paint them? (Hopefully that makes sense)

Thanks for you help.
If you are applying it with a brush or sponge, best to go with three coats, drying in between with Heat.
If using an airgun to apply it, one coat will do and i just leave it overnight to dry.

I find it best to cut all my lines in one go then peal out the first sections i need, You'll find that if you cut as you go, painting say a black section will make it hard to see your sketches and where to cut for the next section
Old 21-06-2016
Mad Member

As above.

You can see when it is dry as it goes from cloudy pale green/blue to a translucent colour. I go for 4 coats as I find it easier to peel. I use either a hairdryer or (if wife is out) put the oven on ~35degC and stick shell in oven for 10 mins between coats. You can also leave on a radiator if heating is on

Definitely cut all lines before as you can't see outlines once you have 1st coat of paint on.

Finally, make sure the LM you have bought is suitable for model making. My first pot was made by Vallejo (or something like) and cutting it was like trying to drag a knife over rubber. It would not cut smoothly. I now use RCS and it is superb stuff.

wash shell in warm soapy water before applying LM and allow to dry fully.
avoid fingerprints on shell once peeling LM as the prints will show in the fine paint layers - especially in fades. I find a pair of needle nose tweezers are the best purchase I have ever made for this.

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 21-06-2016

Be careful if drying with a hairdryer or air gun as if you get it too hot it can bubble.
Old 22-06-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

If you are in a hurry you can dry it but to be honest it is better when left to dry naturally. 3-4 coats, 4 is better as if to thin it is a sod to peal away. Spraying is good as long as you don't have any fiddly areas.
Old 29-06-2016

After a few issues I've finally masked and painted my shell.

The first liquid mask I bought was like painting with treacle and took ages to dry due to being so thick. When it dried it shrunk and lifted in the corners and rippled when I it tried to cut it.

So I bought RCS liquid mask and it's brilliant. Easy to apply, dries quickly and easy to cut. The only problem I had was the paint would stretch instead of tear, I think I was try to remove the mask too soon. How long should I let the paint dry before removing the mask?

I was a bit worried after the first coat as the whole shell went black, but the mask worked perfectly.

I would post a picture but I've haven't finished painting due to running out of paint.
Old 30-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc3009 View Post
After a few issues I've finally masked and painted my shell.

The only problem I had was the paint would stretch instead of tear, I think I was try to remove the mask too soon. How long should I let the paint dry before removing the mask?
As you've already said, its a simple case of the paint not being dry enough! I dry each coat with a hairdryer before lifting any mask, you will usually see the the paint go from a gloss wet look to a very matt dry look. then its safe to lift, as always, layer your paint up in thin coats, drying inbetween