Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 03-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default As a 2wd

Myself and a club mate have been using the D413 as a 2wd on carpet high traction and have to say that it is working really well.
It works better than my 2wd that I was really happy with.
A MM cheater car.
Im with saddles and CF chassis, mates with shorty and avid chassis. His is a little calmer.
Mine wants to swap ends out of corners with a hard trigger but Im testing a few more things tomorrow.

I can recommend it
Rear arms flipped and shocks on back

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 03-02-2015

hot bodies are making a new 2wd buggy that should be out some time this year.
Old 04-02-2015

What did you do to the centre diff?

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while as my D413 it so easy to drive and virtually indestructible, it’s a tank. LOL

I hope Hot Bodies bring out a 2wd mid motor layout, I bet it will be more likely rear motor like the YZ-2.

Last edited by Muzzie; 04-02-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzie View Post
What did you do to the centre diff?

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while as my D413 it so easy to drive and virtually indestructible, it’s a tank. LOL

I hope Hot Bodies bring out a 2wd mid motor layout, I bet it will be more likely rear motor like the YZ-2.

It looks a little bit like a centro.
Old 23-02-2015

I also tested mine as 2wd on indoor carpet look alike surface. Running shorty and cf chassis. Didn`t do anything with the centerdiff and it worked like a charm. A fellow club driver which is top 2 in Norway tried it and he was very suprised how good it was as a 2wd
Old 23-02-2015

Default 2wd

Same here.
Works superbly as a 2wd. Shortie c/f chassis, esc rear.
Not tried the shocks on the rear yet. Also the front hinge pin holder I have turned it upside down to give the kick up of a 2wd.
Center diff has 300,000wt oil but needs to be about 500,000wt to give the feel I want.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 23-02-2015

Mine too has esc in the rear. But i have added weights in the front/left. Have had some wheelies with it as 4wd so that reduces front lift. Had those on when i used it as 2wd also
Old 24-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm cooking something up at the moment, pictures soon
Old 24-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I ran my project car for the first time last weekend at the Bradby Cup at RHR, I was well pleased with it considering before the event it hadn't turned a wheel

Sneaky peek attached...

Last edited by Richard Lowe; 04-05-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 25-03-2015

Nice , i have been making a prototype model myself, but so far only on 3D in Solidworks. But i have talked with a machine shop and i am ordering a 7075 T6 alu plate for the chassi now.
Old 26-03-2015

Richard is it B5 front? what chassi did you use?

I have made a 3D model with Rb6 front, custom alu chassie. There is some more features to the chassie then usually found. But i will post it the day it`s created.
Old 27-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroy76 View Post
Richard is it B5 front? what chassi did you use?
Yep, B5 front end - the chassis is the kit D413 carbon chassis that I've CNC'd (with my Dremel ) to fit the B5 front. I'll post a chassis picture when I get home from work. The front tower is custom to fit the longer shocks, other than those 2 parts everything else just bolts on with no modification.

Centre diff is still in but with 2.5 million wt oil. This turned out to be a little on the thick side and it was quite easy to get the front end off the ground, maybe 1-1.5 million would be closer.

Last edited by Richard Lowe; 27-03-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 27-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

mrroy be interested in seeing some pics of your conversion using the RB6 front end, I have a RB6 and D413 so sounds good to me!

Rich your car looks good, will it be your chassis of choice for the Nationals??

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 27-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeadling View Post
will it be your chassis of choice for the Nationals??
That's the plan
Old 27-03-2015

Hi Rich. Would I be correct in assuming that you are using the centre diff as a clutch and using the thickness of oils to adjust it ?.
Old 27-03-2015

Just curious about the thick diff oil, I ran it as 2WD last weekend and used 100K ultimate oil. Plenty of braking power. Off course i didn`t have any signs of front wheel lift, but it was medium/low grip surface. I will try it a bit more when we are starting at our high traction astro soon.

Regarding the RB6/D413 combination i will probably launch some really nice exiting chassis CNC`ed. Which can be ordered. I`ll keep ypu posted when i have my prototype finnished.
Old 27-03-2015

I run with 300k in mine but just needs a little bit thicker oil maybe 500k to be ideal.
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 28-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Hi Rich. Would I be correct in assuming that you are using the centre diff as a clutch and using the thickness of oils to adjust it ?.
I've only run it once and left the 2.5 in all day as it'd be a pain to change trackside. I found the car got faster as the run when on which I assume is the centre diff oil heating up and thinning out a bit letting me get on the gas sooner. With the 2.5 in you could lift the front wheels from very slow speeds but on the move it was totally fine.
Old 13-04-2015

I am waiting for my CNC machine to come. In the meantime i am playing with my dremel and a RB6 chassi,

I need to order the front parts for the RB6, but i will probably try to use the d413 front arms/caster/hub and hingepins and attach them to the rb6 hingepinholder(bulkhead) At leaast that will be my initial take on it. If that doesnt work well i will use a comple RB6 front.

The chassiplate doesn`t look so nice, drilled the first set of holes wrong som had to shorten the plate a bit and drill new holes. I will countersing the holes tomorrow, and make the motor and centerdiff holder holes. I also need to carve down a slot for the spur to run free. Can also use a 1 or 2mm shims under the centerdiff holder to get it up from the chassi.

Whats most interesting will be the testing. Because i think the wheelbase length will be around 265-272. I will put shims on the hingepins to get the longest possible wheelbase. Maybe this will give me a quicker car in narrow parts, but probably a bit more unstable car in high speed parts. We will see

I think swapping the rear end back to the original chassi will take me between 5-8 min. I will use plugs for the esc and motor so i can change fast between different motors.

I belive there will be quite mutch weight at the rear compared to other similar 2wd? s like the XB4 conversion
Old 14-04-2015

Raced mine on grass on Sunday. All I can say is superb. The grass was wearing as the day progressed and the car got better and better. The trouble is now that my spare car my son wants to replace his 22 with it in 2wd mode it went that we'll.
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk