Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 02-01-2013
Mad Member

Default DEX408 vs MBX6 ECO

Has anyone run both these cars. I've got an Mbx6 Eco that I'm looking to run at this years nationals but was wondering what the DEX is like compared with it. I have an Mbx6r-eu as well with loads of spares so the thought of changing is hard,but if the DNX is a lot better then it may make the decision easier.

So the question is, is it easy to work on, drive, set up easy for astro and dirt. I'll be running a 1900 tekin combo.

Cheers
Ross

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 02-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Stay with the mugen mate, all the way. just look around the national scene to see how many durango are being run.
I loved my mugen, only moved away when we lost the uk importer (stuart)I did take a good look at durango, but was advised to steer clear as I run a very tight budget so I now use a losi, that I'm more than happy with so sticking with it

The Durango is like a mistress, sweet on the eye, but costs a fortune to keep

Edit sorry, I am talking the nitro national scene, not sure on car popularity electric

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 03-01-2013

Many guys talk to much about Durango without owning it.

I got a MBX5R, two 808, a JQ, and a Durango. All converted to brushless.

The Durango is by far the easiest and fastest car on high grip tracks, especially on astro. It might "not be big" internationaly, who cares. It's just about the driver anyway, biggest company has the best drivers and that's it. Hobao could be world champion too.

This said the eco is hard to beat for a simple reason: its quality. It's on par with Xray but Durango is not as qualitative. It's very well made but a tad under Mugen. The other thing: most guys are still running the eco on tracks so you will have a massive support. IMO it's a better solution to have one single lipo too (DEX uses two). Unless you already have 2S lipos because you run an other class, it's just more convenient. So once again, the eco is the best choice.

So all in all I would pick the Mugen BUT the Durango -especially the converted DNX408- is one of the most underrated car there is. My girlfriend is running the buggy and had a 808 before and she improved massively with the Durango. I did my best laps with her car the first time I drove it on astro. The car is precise, very easy on the jumps. It's just too easy to drive. This said the weight repartition between the DEX and converted DNX isn't the same

THE eCAR 2WD l MP9 TKI3 l S350 Evo l MP9E TKI l MBX6 Eco USA l 12R5.2 l SP12X l EMB-1H
Old 03-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Stay with the mugen mate, all the way. just look around the national scene to see how many durango are being run.
I loved my mugen, only moved away when we lost the uk importer (stuart)I did take a good look at durango, but was advised to steer clear as I run a very tight budget so I now use a losi, that I'm more than happy with so sticking with it

The Durango is like a mistress, sweet on the eye, but costs a fortune to keep

Edit sorry, I am talking the nitro national scene, not sure on car popularity electric

Its Stewart's fault that I like Mugen lol. I find it hard to move away from them, very easy to work on and maintain, if they go wrong that is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
Many guys talk to much about Durango without owning it.

I got a MBX5R, two 808, a JQ, and a Durango. All converted to brushless.

The Durango is by far the easiest and fastest car on high grip tracks, especially on astro. It might "not be big" internationaly, who cares. It's just about the driver anyway, biggest company has the best drivers and that's it. Hobao could be world champion too.

This said the eco is hard to beat for a simple reason: its quality. It's on par with Xray but Durango is not as qualitative. It's very well made but a tad under Mugen. The other thing: most guys are still running the eco on tracks so you will have a massive support. IMO it's a better solution to have one single lipo too (DEX uses two). Unless you already have 2S lipos because you run an other class, it's just more convenient. So once again, the eco is the best choice.

So all in all I would pick the Mugen BUT the Durango -especially the converted DNX408- is one of the most underrated car there is. My girlfriend is running the buggy and had a 808 before and she improved massively with the Durango. I did my best laps with her car the first time I drove it on astro. The car is precise, very easy on the jumps. It's just too easy to drive. This said the weight repartition between the DEX and converted DNX isn't the same

I have noticed the DEX being very quick on Astro, or the guys at my winter club look to be very quick with it, having said hat I like the look of it....a lot .

I think it will be the Mugen, I have an absurd amount of spare for it and my nitro, so I think it the right choice to make.

How ever you never know I may wake up tomorrow and decided different .

Thanks
Ross

TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Its Stewart's fault that I like Mugen lol. I find it hard to move away from them, very easy to work on and maintain, if they go wrong that is .

I have noticed the DEX being very quick on Astro, or the guys at my winter club look to be very quick with it, having said hat I like the look of it....a lot .

I think it will be the Mugen, I have an absurd amount of spare for it and my nitro, so I think it the right choice to make.

How ever you never know I may wake up tomorrow and decided different .

Thanks
Ross
I forgot a detail: the MBX6 in its eco version won't be replaced soon. I talked about it with two sponsored Mugen drivers and the MBX7 Eco is far from being released. This means if you buy an eco now you won't have to worry about it being replaced in a few months, which is always a good thing.

THE eCAR 2WD l MP9 TKI3 l S350 Evo l MP9E TKI l MBX6 Eco USA l 12R5.2 l SP12X l EMB-1H
Old 05-01-2013

Both are winning cars. But if you have a mugen already, it just makes sense to stick with an eco this season.
Old 08-01-2013
Mad Member

Thanks for all the advise guys, it looks like I will stick with the Mugen.

Cheers
Ross

TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 10-01-2013

Well with lots of searching and 1/8 electric buggy investigating I have bought a new MBX6 Eco M spec
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 10-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzellia View Post
Well with lots of searching and 1/8 electric buggy investigating I have bought a new MBX6 Eco M spec
Good choice

TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 10-01-2013

Cheers mate are you running on astro or dirt/grass? Trying to find some good tyres that works well for the buggy.my local track is dirt ,astro and some paving stones alittle mix of everything.
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 10-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzellia View Post
Cheers mate are you running on astro or dirt/grass? Trying to find some good tyres that works well for the buggy.my local track is dirt ,astro and some paving stones alittle mix of everything.
Bit of both.the track I run on are either dirt or astro. On Atro it depends if its wet ot dry. Dry people tend to use Schumacher mini pins with some rows cut of,if it wet then Schumacher spirals. I like DBoots in the dry as I find the mini pins to edgy.
Dirt depend on what you like .
A mixture of the both then I would a say good dirt tyre that works ok on Astro, sory I've never run on a mixture of both.

Ross

TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 10-01-2013

Any advice is Good advice Cheers
SWORKS-S104 EK1
Old 13-02-2013

Both are well built and durable. But if I had to pick, I would get the MBX6. .

Some of the things I didnt like about the DEX408:
1 Piece motor mount was lacking in quality for a car that costs over $500.
2 The stock Durango black springs and shock pistons were disappointing. The car was really hard to drive fast on large 1/8 USA tracks. I think they have new springs out now.
3 Super sized 60t spur gear means you have to run huge 22t pinion.
4 It takes a little bit more time to remove and reinstall batteries + extra wiring for 2 packs
5 There really isnt one set up that everyone could agree was a good starting point.

The only things I didn't like about the MBX6 is the crazy bump steer, a slight push.

Last edited by Col; 29-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 13-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
IMO it's a better solution to have one single lipo too (DEX uses two). Unless you already have 2S lipos because you run an other class, it's just more convenient. So once again, the eco is the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwipf View Post
Both are winning cars. But if you have a mugen already, it just makes sense to stick with an eco this season.

You are so lucky to have a GF that runs r/c. Like someone else said and I mentioned, most of the top cars can be world champs. Hot bodies is a World champ but most don't like its quality and in the U.S. mostly beginners run it. Why? it was supported by the company with excellent pro drivers so it will sell cars and it did. That is the business model.

I can't speak for Durango but I hear the parts quality is very similar to Serpent. I came from Mugen to Serpent. Not because one was going to get me more wins or was faster. I did just as good with my Mugen and it was easier to tune. My reason was parts quality. WHAT?! "Mugen is awesome parts quality". Yes it is about a 6.5-7.5 on a 10 scale. But Serpent is an 8-9.25 IMO. If mugen had the same sprung steel and flexible plastic as Serpent or x-ray it would be 1.5 points higher on my scale. I just kept braking arms on my MBX-6 and I wasn't alone. Mugen is run by about 50% of all racers in my area so we see alot of what brakes, the hobby shops stock lots of arms and Eco motor mounts. 90% of the Mugen car brakes that come of the track (not related to electronics or motor) are the 2 aforementioned problems.

Our Mugan team driver stated the mbx-7 had beefed up the arms and the problem was solved. His first practice session out at the track he cased the pit area and broke a front arm. LOL There is a reason Mugan guys say "I have a ton of parts for this car". Serpent guys never boast about how many spare parts they have because they are collecting spider webs and we are all embarrassed for having wasted our money on spares for the most part.

Now my serpent, while not as easy to tune I admit, is tough as nails. My 1st year I ran the car without a single spare part in my box. I only got a few now to refresh the 2.5 year old car so it feels a bit tighter after all this run time. I have never left the track because the car broke a kit's part during a race in 2.5 years. Still on the same set of drive axles (would have been on 2nd or 3rd set by now with a mugan that old). And I love twin packs.

I used to hate the twin pack idea and even come up with reasons online to people about how single packs were better. Not anymore. asside from the balance issues, they are cheaper and more adjustable.

Cheaper: since they sell 10-20 times more 2 cell configs than 4s they have much better variety and prices are lower per mah due to volume. When one cell goes bad you only need to toss that 2s pack not all 4 (again cheaper). Keeping a spare means keeping one 2s pack in reserve not a whole 4s pack.

Adjustable: Standing up the packs vs. laying them down will have roll effects you can play with. Variety of packs allows you to get many different shapes. Flatter packs for lower CG or shorty packs that you can move up or down the chassis to tune weight balance or even in and out from center line to increase or decrease body roll again. I use small 2200mah 3s packs x 2 in my 6s 811 and Have 4 positions to play with. All change the cars feel at a moments notice depending on how track conditions have changed without messing with other settings mid race.

Not trying to change your mind here, stay mugan if you like it IS a great car. But don't let batteries sway your decision.