Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 07-04-2013

Default Motor power question

I have two questions about motors for my 8th buggy... I have ended up with three motors to get me running;

Reedy Sonic 1512 1800kv
HPI Flux Scream 1965kv
Turnigy 2200kv

The only one I have run so far is the Reedy and you can see it here;

http://youtu.be/d-Oyf2nQnd4

I have the motor attached to a Hobbywing Ezrun SC8 speedo.

My questions; is it just the KV that is used to differentiate the power - so are my three motors going to be good steps up in power or does the can shape etc matter?

My second question is whether there is a good way to connect the motor to the speedo so they are easy to swap in and out? Two of the motors have solder tabs and the HPI has hard wired wires. Is there such a thing as a three pin deans/EC5 type plug if that makes sense?
Old 30-04-2013

Kv is about rpms not necessarily power. however you could run 3 different manufacturer's motors that claim the same kv rating and you'll probably find the power band fells different on all 3.

For the track you were running in the video 1800-1950 is probably all you need since that is a tight track. You look like a very deliberate driver (good), from the video your rear shocks looked a tad bouncy in some areas and you like to land jumps level or slightly nose up. doing this can result in a small bounce or settling of the car that can take time before you can hit the gas or turn properly.

Try landing with your nose 15 degrees down, this will limit bounce or settling after a jump and allow you to hit the gas the moment the front wheels touch the ground. To do this either practice and hit brakes slightly in the air, apply drag brake in ESC, or possibly even use that 2200kv on a lower pinion will give a mechanical drag effect from the motor. All will accomplish a similar effect with other side effects you have to play with to see what you like.