Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 13-02-2013
Mad Member

Default Turnigy Trackstar 150 amp

This thing here:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Car_ESC.html

Are they any good? Following the demise of the Kershaw unit, then the MMM, and now just the other day, my Hobbywing unit, this could be my fourth 8th scale esc, dont want to on my 5th by the end of the summer, but by the same token, I dont want to be spending countless hundreds for a big name speedo either.

Cheers guys.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 13-02-2013

im currently running a mamba max pro with a hpi 1965kv and im impressed with it in a rc8be
Old 13-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayst View Post
im currently running a mamba max pro with a hpi 1965kv and im impressed with it in a rc8be
That's great mush, but it doesn't really answer my question does it?
SWorkz S12-2

Old 14-02-2013

well after reading all the reviews... it seems to be ok but for the bust amps it is very low TBH..... in that price range i would rather go for a hobbywing 150 amp esc
Old 14-02-2013

Here at South Coast RC most of us run Hobbywing, either the 150A XERUN or the waterproof 120A WP SC8.

One of our guys however has recently bought one of these Turnigy units and not run it yet. I'll try and keep you posted as we may actually be able to run this weekend...
Old 14-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
in that price range i would rather go for a hobbywing 150 amp esc
Cheers Levon, Check out my fb page mate in the rc stuff album, that's what blew up on me last weekend. I'd buy another, if I could find somewhere that sold them. Mine came off ebay, but do you think I can find another?

Failing the hobbywing route, I may go for one, it isn't for racing, only monster trucking.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 14-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
One of our guys however has recently bought one of these Turnigy units and not run it yet. I'll try and keep you posted as we may actually be able to run this weekend...
Cheers dude, that would be very useful, thank you. Also handy too for anyone else who, (how's this for a contradiction) wants to get in to E8th on a budget.

I need something too to put in the Losi LST, which I'll be running on 4s to start with., so this might be the ticket.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 15-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
Cheers Levon, Check out my fb page mate in the rc stuff album, that's what blew up on me last weekend. I'd buy another, if I could find somewhere that sold them. Mine came off ebay, but do you think I can find another?

Failing the hobbywing route, I may go for one, it isn't for racing, only monster trucking.

if you get them local they are going to be way over priced.... the best prices are from china / hong kong.... thankfully there new years is over and we can order things now and get them soonish

i saw what you did to you little monster... and the lipo that is fooked

i do nto have any spares at all to sell or loan to you... the one motor and esc that i have spare i am selling to one of the guys in scrcc.

the reason i said not to go with the turnigy one is, burst amps is only 250 or somehting like that... that is way low... where as the hobbywing in over 1000 amps burst.

huge diffrence... but if it is to replace the one in your truck go for a 120 amp hobbywing m8..... they are pretty good. i ran one in my buggy for a bit and as Alex aka hotshot said the guys at scrcc run it in there rcs... (1/8th buggy and truggy) and they are nto slow at all.
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Following the demise of the Kershaw unit, then the MMM, and now just the other day, my Hobbywing unit, this could be my fourth 8th scale esc, dont want to on my 5th by the end of the summer, but by the same token, I dont want to be spending countless hundreds for a big name speedo either
I run Turnigy lipo's which are fine, never tried their speedo, chances are they make them for someone else anyway and they're just put in a more expensive casing. I appreciate this doesn't answer your question but a lot of it is, you pays your money, you takes your chances....

How much have you spent in total on the 3 you've listed in your first post ? I know several people running Tekin ones, granted they're pricy but similarly they've had no problems with. I know there is a lot of good cheap stuff out there, Turnigy Lipo's as an example but it does seem there are somethings where the old " you get what you pay for " really does ring true.

My paintwork thread
Old 16-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
I run Turnigy lipo's which are fine, never tried their speedo, chances are they make them for someone else anyway and they're just put in a more expensive casing. I appreciate this doesn't answer your question but a lot of it is, you pays your money, you takes your chances....

How much have you spent in total on the 3 you've listed in your first post ? I know several people running Tekin ones, granted they're pricy but similarly they've had no problems with. I know there is a lot of good cheap stuff out there, Turnigy Lipo's as an example but it does seem there are somethings where the old " you get what you pay for " really does ring true.

well the biggest problem on his last run, is water and electrics do not mix

LOL

it was pissing down with rain and he rode it with a 6s lipo in the rain / water.

anyway... if you are going to get another esc, i would maybe recomend a 120 amp wc8 like alex recomended..... they seem to be pretty good in the water / rain... alex aka hotshot has personal experiance with it and he also does nto bull shit people and says what he genuinely thinks so you know when he says something it is the truth.

hope this helps
Old 16-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
well the biggest problem on his last run, it was pissing down with rain and he rode it with a 6s lipo in the rain / water.
Just to clarify, obviously a picture gives a good description, but, I had turned it on, driven all of 4 feet with just enough throttle to turn the wheels, found the steering didnt work at the same time, then, "phloooof". It wouldn't have been so bad if I'd had 10 minutes of wild thrashing about in the mire beforehand., but no, 4 feet on the pavement at gay throttle.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 16-02-2013
Mad Member

As a side note, do you use "Lazy Goo", it water proofs everything very well. If you don't have any yet get some ! Well worth it for the price.

I'm not saying it would have sorted your issue out this time, that sounds like the speedo failing, not your fault, maybe a manufacturers thing ??? Do they not offer warranties or anything you can go back to them with. Even the cheap ones of these ESC's are a fair bit of cash, surely you must be able to complain ?

My paintwork thread
Old 16-02-2013

I would personally invest in a tekin
For the price of 4 cheaper ones its worth it plus
Randy pike offers great support
Old 16-02-2013

Quote:
anyway... if you are going to get another esc, i would maybe recomend a 120 amp wc8 like alex recomended..... they seem to be pretty good in the water / rain... alex aka hotshot has personal experiance with it and he also does nto bull shit people and says what he genuinely thinks so you know when he says something it is the truth.

hope this helps
Thanks for the vote of confidence Lev. Crazy L, this is my current HPI Vorza setup:

Hobbywing 120A WP (waterproof) SC8 ESC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Express-EZ...item3f1f39f35e

This has been fitted to the car for over 6 months now without any problems (including driving in rain and aquaplaning through deep puddles etc.) and in my experience is as powerful as the Hobbywing 150A XERUN (I also have one of those in another car which i've found just as reliable when it's dry).

The only problem you might have is, how much does an LST weigh? The WP SC8 runs about 30 celcius hotter than the 150A XERUN fitted to the same car, and if I remember rightly an LST weighs more than a 1/8th buggy so this may cause problems, plus it can only handle up to 4S. If you want to run 6S i'd get another 150A XERUN, mine has been reliable and I know a lot of other people who've had the same experience and it sounds like you were just unlucky and got a faulty one.

TBH i've seen one other 150A XERUN burn up for no apparent reason but the owner fitted his spare one that day and that has been reliable ever since (this was back in May last year).

Motor wise i'm currently running a 2700kv EZRUN but HW don't make these any more so recently I bought and tested a Leopard 4065 2700kv:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ePacket-USA-...item416db2d9ce

This is identical to the EZRUN motor, in fact the boss of HW and the boss of Leopard apparently know each other. The performance of both motors is also identical, very very fast and about 17-18 mins runtime on 6000mah 65-130c 4s LiPos (although the ESC can be de-tuned and I plan to try this sometime along with lowering the gearing to see if it will last a full 20min final against nitros).

I went this route because when I bought the Vorza I originally wanted a spare (MMM) ESC but the £185 price tag almost buys you two Hobbywing ESCs and two Leopard motors so I thought i'd give them a try and i've never looked back.
Both ESCs are noticeably smoother than the MMM even when running sensorless and for about £20 you can get the HW program box and reprogram them trackside without a laptop.
Also IMO sensorless is more reliable in the wet-you only need one droplet of water to get on the sensor cable multiplug to confuse the hell out of the ESC (maybe that's what happened to your last one). Hope this info is helpful.
Old 16-02-2013
Mad Member

cheers guys for all your suggestions. I'm gonna give 4s a try again from now as I only had one 6s pack anyway, but quite a few 2s packs I can use to make up 4s.

Lazy Goo, I use it in my 1/10 buggies and ST.

Water ingress was not the issue as I only drove 4 feet, very slowly, and the motor is sensorless (Leopard 2000kv btw)

Warranties, Had the esc a while, and it came from HK.

The Tekin is sexy, just a shame it's a few bob more than I'd like. Does it run sensorless motors too?

Hmmm, nailing the gas to pull the LST along might cause a warmth issue on the HW 120amp. While the MGTe is all working fine with the bugs ironed out (just needs a wash now to remove smoke damage), I've got as far as machining up a motor mount and bolting it on, no gear ratios, cell tray, single gear conv'n, nothing. So I don't know if it would be similar.

I ran the MGTe on 4s before with enjoyable results, I only bought the 6s as a giggle and to see if I could then lower the power and get a longer runtime (was running a 2250kv in it), on 50% power, as full tilt was just mental, destroyed OE wheels, tyres turned in to pizza cutters, sheared off cvds, mental, 50% throttle was plenty.

Didn't have the issues with 4s. I dont know exact figures, but the LST is defo lighter than the MGT.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 16-02-2013

Quote:
cheers guys for all your suggestions. I'm gonna give 4s a try again from now as I only had one 6s pack anyway, but quite a few 2s packs I can use to make up 4s.

Lazy Goo, I use it in my 1/10 buggies and ST.

Water ingress was not the issue as I only drove 4 feet, very slowly, and the motor is sensorless (Leopard 2000kv btw)

Warranties, Had the esc a while, and it came from HK.

The Tekin is sexy, just a shame it's a few bob more than I'd like. Does it run sensorless motors too?

Hmmm, nailing the gas to pull the LST along might cause a warmth issue on the HW 120amp. While the MGTe is all working fine with the bugs ironed out (just needs a wash now to remove smoke damage), I've got as far as machining up a motor mount and bolting it on, no gear ratios, cell tray, single gear conv'n, nothing. So I don't know if it would be similar.

I ran the MGTe on 4s before with enjoyable results, I only bought the 6s as a giggle and to see if I could then lower the power and get a longer runtime (was running a 2250kv in it), on 50% power, as full tilt was just mental, destroyed OE wheels, tyres turned in to pizza cutters, sheared off cvds, mental, 50% throttle was plenty.

Didn't have the issues with 4s. I dont know exact figures, but the LST is defo lighter than the MGT.

it runs sensored and sensorless m8...

and the tekin esc is lovely.. i really love mine in my 1/8th buggy.

now if you do go the tekin way... have a look at the combo as it is at least half the price and getting the motor and esc seperate... if you do deside to get one let me know and i will give you a link for the combo for round the 230 pound mark.. that is nto a bad price tbh.... anyway

let us know what you want to do

Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
it runs sensored and sensorless m8...

and the tekin esc is lovely.. i really love mine in my 1/8th buggy.

now if you do go the tekin way... have a look at the combo as it is at least half the price and getting the motor and esc seperate... if you do deside to get one let me know and i will give you a link for the combo for round the 230 pound mark.. that is nto a bad price tbh.... anyway

let us know what you want to do

I am looking at the tekin seen a few combos for around that price what KW motor are you running ?
JQ THE E CAR (on order)
futaba 3vcs
Old 28-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdunk View Post
I am looking at the tekin seen a few combos for around that price what KW motor are you running ?

the 2650 m8

way over kill TBH. i would recomend the 1900 - 2050 if you go with the tekin stuff
Old 17-03-2013

Default hi

i got Turnigy 160A 1:8th Scale Sensorless ESC w/Fan (UK Warehouse) is best high speed any brushless motor.
Old 24-03-2013

I have recently bought this exact ESC.

I usually run Tekin RX8s and while one was being sent away for service I bought this as a low cost back up ESC to keep in my tool box. My RX8 isn't back so this ESC had to be installed im my truggy and I have one full practice and full race under my belt with it.

Setup: 6s Zippy 5000mah, Tekin T8 1350kv, Team C T8TE truggy, futaba brushless servo and kopro euro radio

Observations:

PROs: no cogging (unsensored), very cool, great power, battery mileage was very good under this esc. My RX8 ran at about 145 F and mileage was about 250 mah/min, this Turnegy 150A ESC is running at 97 F and I get 210 mah/min!

CONs: fan runs constantly but thats ok if its keeping it cool. At first their was an issue with it turning off completely out of the blue. For some reason it didn't like the transponder being plugged into it next to it on the receiver, oddly I moved the transponder to ch 4 giving the esc plug some room and the problem went away. Weird I know.

For the price I am very impressed with this ESC's performance and do recommend it for the budget racer. Great buy.