Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 04-04-2017
Mad Member

Default Converting a standard yz2 to a CA

My YZ2 is an original standard one. I'm told the 3gear lay down box is better on Astro so I'm going to give it a try. On MB site I can see they do this
https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/spares/y...roturf-15061-p

Do I need anything else? Is the rest of the gubbins already in my current gearbox?
And should I go with a ball diff or gear diff
Do need to change the rear arms for wider ones?

Thanks in advance

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 05-04-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes thats all you'll need to convert it to a 3 gear

As for the wider rear end, yes go for this, as the new DTM Yz2 has been launched I would look through the manual and find the parts this car uses so you have the latest spec

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 05-04-2017

Chris,

I did this conversion on my YZ-2 when we went indoors at MB and found it a lot better on the high grip carpet.

Everything you need is in the conversion kit as you re-use some of the gears etc from the original gear box.

Is it going to be better on high grip astro, probably, is it going to be better at Batley is still undecided as the astro there I wouldn't consider high grip, so will probably try both 3 and 4 gear.

In terms of longer rear arms i use the S4 arms (#Z4-008RS4) but you will also need (2x) #Z2-010RB2 - Rear Universal Bone (62.0mm) to ensure the drive shafts don't fall out.

Also I would run a gear diff over a ball diff if its dry but its personal preference
Old 05-04-2017
Mad Member

I liked my YZ-2 best with the wide rear end, 3-gear and gullwing front arms/shock tower. As for the diff, you may want to try the gear diff with 2 spider gears and some thicker oil (7,000 as a starting point). While I did not try a 2-spider gear diff in my YZ-2, I loved it in my 22 3.0, and it has been great in my son's Firebolt!
The DTM has some interesting options, such as the rear hubs and rear shock tower brace. I wonder whether the CA or the DTM is the better starting point for my next buggy kit?
Old 10-04-2017
Mad Member

Thanks all. Still undecided as I do like my current YZ2 and after Chris F at Batley helped me get a better set up it felt great with the 4gear in on Sunday, but then one can never tell...
I was bidding on a CA on eBay but the seller obviously sold it and cancelled my bids (or had heard about my driving and didn't want his car subjected to the ridicule &#128514.
We'll see..

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...