Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 10-08-2014
Mad Member

Ran mine at RHR Invernational this weekend. Car was really very good. I however was average at best. Loved driving the car on the superb clay track when the weather allowed. It's getting better as I understand more about what works and what doesn't. Thanks also must go to Rich Lowe who was happy to discuss the car and set ups.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 10-08-2014

I'll second that. Ran mine too, great car in tricky conditions, also ran it on Astro & was superb! Anyone thinking of buying this car should deffo get one.
Old 10-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Ran mine at RHR Invernational this weekend. Car was really very good. I however was average at best. Loved driving the car on the superb clay track when the weather allowed. It's getting better as I understand more about what works and what doesn't. Thanks also must go to Rich Lowe who was happy to discuss the car and set ups.
Sime, could you post your clay final set up on the sticky thread, id be interested to see how you ran it.
Old 11-08-2014
Mad Member

No worries dude. When I get five mins I'll do a sheet for ya.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 16-08-2014
Mad Member

Sorry, not had chance to do a proper sheet. To save time, here's what I did.
Rich Lowes starting astro setup but, gold front spring, 35wt oil front. Rear as before. Diffs 5/100/3k oils. Roll bars removed both ends. Went up to 300k centre and got more drive out onto straight but not so predictable change of direction through the twistys. Ride height was 20mm. Also added a little toe out when the track cut up and got carpeted in places to help settle the transition between surfaces. Any questions just ask. just to be clear, the astro start point was Rich's July 14 starting setup.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 23-08-2014
Mad Member

Ran today on astro at Broxtowe. Med to high grip level. Car set as Rich's latest astro sheet except 5/300/3 diffs, 35wt front shocks, standard wishbones and no spacers in rear wheels. Car was mega even on worn out spikes it found the grip but didn't get tied in knots. Very easy to drive. Next time out I'll go stiffer front oil(shocks) and space the rears out a mm or so.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 23-08-2014

I think Petes buggy was so glued to the track it ended up stopping there even after he went home,lol
Old 23-08-2014
Mad Member

That's the truth. Hilarious. He rang us saying he'd got home and unpacked the car but could find his 413!!! A quick call from the pub confirmed it was at the track still and Gord had grabbed it for safe keeping/eBay! Lol. Not often I've seen anyone leave the venue without their car.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 08-09-2014

hello,

finally got my car. went together well with no issues. only thing is the drivetrain is a bit tight and i hope it frees up after a few batteries.
here are some pics of the car.

Last edited by Rossi_14; 01-01-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2014

here is mine, still a few bits to do on it but nothing huge, hope you like
Old 11-09-2014
Mad Member

Looks sweet mate. You'll love it. If not, pm me. I could use a spare one. Lol

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 11-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Looks sweet mate. You'll love it. If not, pm me. I could use a spare one. Lol
lol, i wont get to use it untill the first week in oct, then im away for 14nights in Jamaica so i wont get to do much till im back from my holiday

i noticed most are running the speedo at the front, i was going to try it this way first then move it about to see what it dose for me,

my driving style is not like most

im used to 8th racing so i chose this over the kyosho zx6 but last year when i was waiting for this to come out i bought the b-max4 III, that was a great car but i always wanted this 1

i really hope HPI sort the parts out soon, ive bought 2 sets of front wishbones from the US and i dont fancy the wait every time i bin it lol

anyway im looking forward to seeing some indoor set ups for me to compare to
Old 14-09-2014

Hello,

i had the chance to drive my car today. i have to say the car is really reliable. i was on a 1/5th scale astroturf track with the jumps and bumps everybody expects from such a track. the car handled everything fine. had a few really bad crashes and from memory i would have repaired my old bj4 today a lot. the only thing that failed (after a hard landing) was the spur gear. new parts are ordered and i am looking forward to test the car indoors next friday.

Last edited by Rossi_14; 01-01-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 14-09-2014
Mad Member

Did the motor move or has something been through it? There are tips around for securing the motor a little better. I followed them from build and mines been perfect from day one.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 14-09-2014

Did proline ever release the shock caps ty uses ?!
Old 14-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi_14 View Post
Hello,

i had the chance to drive my car today. i have to say the car is really reliable. i was on a 1/5th scale astroturf track with the jumps and bumps everybody expects from such a track. the car handled everything fine. had a few really bad crashes and from memory i would have repaired my old bj4 today a lot. the only thing that failed (after a hard landing) was the spur gear. new parts are ordered and i am looking forward to test the car indoors next friday.
Was the pinion in line with the spur, it looks like it was only running on half the spur?

Make sure the little grub screw in the motor clamp is sitting slightly proud, that way it digs into the motor cam slightly when you tighten the clamp down and definitely won't move
Old 15-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBaker View Post
The Proline caps were just a one-off for Ty. HB have produced some together with new shock stand-offs which are in production and will be available very soon. Tbh I've not had issues with the kit ones. I always remove the standoffs complete with the shocks to prevent weakening of the joints. It's working so far.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 15-09-2014

Just been looking on the opinions list there are different shock towers can anyone tell me what the difference is between them and the standard ones
Chris
Old 15-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmad View Post
Just been looking on the opinions list there are different shock towers can anyone tell me what the difference is between them and the standard ones
Chris
The B front tower has 4 holes which are half way between the holes on the kit A tower, the inside hole on the B tower is half a hole further in than the inside on A, the second hole out is half way between the kit's inner and middle holes etc...

I'm currently running the B front tower on the inner/middle hole, I found with the kit tower the inside hole felt a bit soft and the middle a bit firm - the B tower gives a happy medium between the two and seems to work best for me. It's a pretty subtle change and I would think most people will like the kit middle hole best

The two optional rear towers are optimised for the different holes in the wishbone. The A tower is narrower/taller and is intended for the inside hole on the arm, the C tower is wider and lower and is for the outer hole on the arm, the kit B tower is half way inbetween the two.

Personally I'm using the C tower with the outer hole on the arm in combination with the upper hole for the hingepin on the hub carrier. This gives you the familiar B4 style rear geometry we're all used to after all these years
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBaker View Post
I have only had issues with the front shock caps and for this reason i went with the associated b5m shock caps and stand offs.They are a direct fit and i have not had a problem since.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk