Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 23-11-2012

I think we should open up a 2m x 2m and maybe a metre deep bomb hole in front of the rostrum.
This would be a great feature as you can dive into it, and ramp up the other side, like at RHR. Wouldnt be a hard task.
Lift the astro, dig a hole, and nail the astro back down
Old 23-11-2012
Mad Member

Well you would need more astro as if you go up or down the astro has more area to stretch over and cover. That sounds a cool idea too what you reckon about the two whoop jumps a small one followed by a bigger one. It's like a rhythm section where the car flows over each jump
Old 23-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
Well you would need more astro as if you go up or down the astro has more area to stretch over and cover. That sounds a cool idea too what you reckon about the two whoop jumps a small one followed by a bigger one. It's like a rhythm section where the car flows over each jump
I think any kind of track update would be good.
It needs something else, as we race there week in week out and tracks are getting very similar.
Maybe we can arrange a work party for Feb/March next year, when hopefully there isnt any snow.
Old 23-11-2012
Mad Member

To be honest Chris your most likely to get snow in jan/ feb. if the weather carries on like this it would be possible as its still very mild for the time of year. Obviously digging ect would be difficult when it's frozen
Old 23-11-2012

Default track

I think digging a bomb hole in front of the rostrum or any hole for that matter is a bad idea. The track gets water logged after heavy persistant rain and thierfore would be more like a swimming pool. Some of the other ideas sound good.
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

It's crap because its a single surface and flatter than a lady boys chest!!!����

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 24-11-2012
Gypsy Member

So we're in general agreement that the bowling green with dead hamsters buried under it needs turning into a proper off road track
I reckon there's funds
But is there enough willing grafters
There's normally only a bout three people to ten people's job
Bomb holes could be tricky with bury weather
But reshaping some of the features or laying over the top in concrete cobbles or flags would work

C'mon committee listen to your members
We love bury club
But the track is getting beyond boring
Good for learners then two months later when they can drive better they are bored to
Table tops
Doubles
Triples
Wall rides
Drop offs
Step ups
Berms
Off camber
On camber
Brick berms
Tarmac sections
Grassy sections
Kickers
Sweepers
Death or glory
Big air
Power power power
Drift drift drift

Like the old track was
Fun exciting and challenging

Please
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Yeah bomb hole =bomb pool. Well first off the bat I'm in so there's 1. We need need a show of genuine helpers. (If we're given the go ahead obviously)
Old 24-11-2012

count me in
Old 24-11-2012

I'll stick my gardening gloves on!
Old 24-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Numbers isn't really the problem (well its part of it!) - what matters is skills. Once we start work we are committed to completing it - and lifting that astro is no easy task so whatever we do needs to be right first time.

Therefore what is needed is not just helpers but experts and a project leader. We need a proper design, a single person who will have oversight for the whole project and people who know what they are doing. Someone who knows about astroturf, about jumps, about track design etc.

It won't work just to get a few people down one weekend, knock up a bombhole, then some others another time to do a set of doubles etc. All you'll end up with is a badly designed mess that doesn't flow at all. As has already been said some of the current features suffer already from having been done by builder not racers.

So - we are back where we always end up on this subject. There is no objection in theory to some redesign work, but it needs to be just that - a redesign not just slapping in some random bits. And that means it needs a project leader. If someone is up for that role we can start the ball moving.....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Well the most experienced driver at the club is woody and since he designed the new track originally (albeit then not built as originally designed by the builders) I'm sure he would know what would work and what wouldn't so prob best to bring up the ideas with him tomorrow and see if he'll help?
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
Well the most experienced driver at the club is woody and since he designed the new track originally (albeit then not built as originally designed by the builders) I'm sure he would know what would work and what wouldn't so prob best to bring up the ideas with him tomorrow and see if he'll help?
That's exactly why he should stay well clear. Just let Johnny go nuts and it'll be fine

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 24-11-2012

Default Do you mean like this??

Watch this video:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=roTBwM59Yzg

BUT you'll notice there's not much variation with these permanent features. so the layout can't change much.....just like boring cars.
Sorry Chris.

Also Fan of "Shepherd Neame"
Old 24-11-2012
Gypsy Member

Hmm astro covered jumps look good
and I see ya point but there track hasn't got as much space as ours even enlarging or reshaping what we got would help
Any one on here got any track design or even cad design experience
We could get some 3d plans of features to give us an idea
Photoshop em In we can see how they fit

Sis right if we do it
We do it properly
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

To be fair roger that's a permanent track isn't it? Our track is huge and there's plenty of things you could built but the variation comes with the placement of the features and the orientation, I.e if you put them in corners or right against the edges then you're restricted. Surely it can't be too hard to build them? You bring a car and try it as you build
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Hi Bury,

Spotted your chat about track design, and although I'm not involved in any way with your club, I have been involved in building a new track in Weston (WORM in the South West) over the last few months, so have an idea of what your going through, both on the design front and the manpower and effort!

Prepping to build ours we spent a lot of time looking at other tracks: oople, youtube, UK, US, Europe, japan. I have been doing nationals and picked up many ideas from what are supposidly some of the best tracks in the country.

Our main design goal was to create something that had no hard edges, no obstacles and no geometrically engineered shapes. We specifically did not want to make a touring car track with 'features' (like in that vid above!), or an indoor track outdoors. They can look really nice and well dressed, but are not really offroad IMO.

We tried to create a landscaped and shaped OFFROAD area that could have track markings laid anywhere in any direction, that offers smooth transitions between lumps, banks, bumps, camber changes and elevation changes. Something that makes the most of (and enhances) the natural features that the area we had already possessed. We also then planned in a few areas that would offer jump opportunities if the track was laid correctly, but that even then those features could be run and used with variation.

That was the goal, and we're still finding out how well we've done, but the signs so far are good, and the feedback has been great so we're quietly confident we've achieved some of our goals...so far!

If I could offer any design advice...Features that make you slow to a crawl so you can make them without crashing are not racing features, they are obstacles...it's offroad racing...not rock crawling, and we all want to go fast when we're racing!!!

Think beyond the normal jumps and table tops (although having a bit of that is obviously cool!), and think shapes! Shapes and camber make for technical challenge without severely punishing driving mistakes...this not only makes for fun tracks and better racing, but less marshalling too...and we know how much we all dislike marshalling, and being marshalled

Anyway, good luck, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 24-11-2012

I have to agree with the general consensus here that we do need more "features" of some sort. I would be more than willing to pitch in and help.
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Well maybe we should have a bit of a chat tomorrow at Oldham because it seems the general consensus is that we all agree that we'd like to change;
A. The current features that it seems we've not been happy with from the start (banked bend etc) and
B. add some new features to give it more character
Old 24-11-2012

We need more track building experience for me, somebody to take charge and keep things moving. If we start hacking away at the astro without proper guidance we could end up making more of a mess.
That said, if we can get it well planned out it will definitely improve the track no end.

Chris