Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 22-12-2009

Default Carrying lipo's on planes

Hi-can anyone tell me if its ok to take lipo batteries on planes-in this case easyjet? I know from they're site they say no alkalai or wet batteries. Don't know where lipos come into the equation.
I'm flying to ireland 2nite and need to know...any help would be great!!
Old 22-12-2009

Ignore me, am thick!

Last edited by MatJohnson; 22-12-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Being thick
Old 22-12-2009

Send a message via MSN to lukehobson

They're perfectly safe in the hold luggage that gets checked in.
If you put then in your hand luggage then they might choose to search it and you could have problems (possibly)

hth
luke
Old 22-12-2009
Mad Member

Since they are not disimilar to camera batteries, mobile phone batteries, laptop batteries, etc, etc, you should have no problems. Lithium Ion and Lipo's are close in construction.

Lithium polymer is not classed as a wet battery...that is reserved for lead acid style batteries where there is a true liquid electrolyte...lipo's have a gel electrolyte in them.

That's my understanding anyway, not tried travelling with them myself...but I wouldn't have thought it'd be a problem.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 22-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I have taken them on Easyjet recently. I put them in the checked in bagage.

I believe there is some ruling in the US (or it could be that I dreamed it!!!) that says for LiPo batteries you are allowed to take one battery in the item (i.e laptop/camera!) and one spare. However, when I searched for this before I travelled I coudln't find anything about it.
Old 22-12-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
They contain liquid so no.

Best bet would be put them in the hold. But even then i wouldn't like to chance it. Small little square blocks look a bit sus
Do they
are you sure
Old 22-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
Do they
are you sure
No not anymore
Old 22-12-2009

Send a message via MSN to Matt_N

I've taken lipos on a plane before, just put them in the hold luggage as other people have said just to be safe.

Matt
Old 22-12-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I was led to believe there was a 5000mah capacity limit, but I may be wrong...
Old 23-12-2009
Mad Member

Took mine in checked baggage to the US and brought more home - no problems either way. If you are taking car kit on 'planes, one tip I would recommend is to put a big sign in the top of the bag saying "Radio control model car racing parts and tools" and a copy of a magazine that has your car type in it.

If customs or security decide to open it, they first see your sign, and then the magazine, and that helps them see what is there and why it is there. You'll get problems if there are any flammable liquids (buy tyre additive and motor cleaner when you get there, and leave it there!), anything in an aerosol or if things are not securely packed in boxes. IME they rarely open the bags, but if they do, best to be prepared. HTH
Old 24-12-2009

As others have said, you can find Lithium batteries in most portable electronics now, LiPos are used, commonly in mobile phones - the one in my Sony Ericsson phone is a LiPo. I think that the hold luggage would be a safer bet - you can't get to them and start a fire then - less of a security risk.
Old 02-01-2010

Cheers everyone for the replies-I put them in my checked in luggage with no probs on easyjet...they did take every piece of rc equipment in my hand luggage out though coming back from Belfast...all my rc toys and tyres on display...haha!!
Old 02-01-2010
Mad Member

First, your Lithium Ion batteries must be <100Wh and the energy must be stated on the battery. If they are >100Wh then do not take them on an aircraft. The batteries must be tested to the UN Manual of tests and
Criteria part III subsection 38.3 (ST/SG/AC.10/11/Rev.3) - more commonly known as the UN T- tests; and have been found to comply with the stated criteria.

For Carry-On: Batteries within a portable electronic device + spare batteries allowed (qty unspecified).

Checked Baggage: Batteries within a portable electronic device allowed. Spare batteries prohibited.

These are the ICAO recomendations however a carrier may choose to refuse transport them if they choose.

Moving Lithium and Lithium ion batteries around is getting more and more difficult due to a small number of incidents in the past few years. These two types of batteries LITHIUM BATTERIES and LITHIUM ION BATTERIES have different UN codes and are totally different beasts when it comes to transport, don't confuse the names.

N
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Took mine in checked baggage to the US and brought more home - no problems either way. If you are taking car kit on 'planes, one tip I would recommend is to put a big sign in the top of the bag saying "Radio control model car racing parts and tools" and a copy of a magazine that has your car type in it.

If customs or security decide to open it, they first see your sign, and then the magazine, and that helps them see what is there and why it is there. You'll get problems if there are any flammable liquids (buy tyre additive and motor cleaner when you get there, and leave it there!), anything in an aerosol or if things are not securely packed in boxes. IME they rarely open the bags, but if they do, best to be prepared. HTH

I think at most UK airports that would help the baggage handler identify which bag to ransack !
Old 03-01-2010

I know this is nothing to do with the lipo/flight arguement-but when checking into Belfast airport's Easyjet section-the guy checking us in never asked the compulsory( as far as I know ) "have you packed your own bags?" "Has any1 asked you to carry anything?" questions.

Also he never looked at my 11mth old daughter for i.d. purposes ( they asked and checked all this in Bristol ). Security Eh??
Old 03-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloliver View Post
First, your Lithium Ion batteries must be <100Wh and the energy must be stated on the battery. If they are >100Wh then do not take them on an aircraft. The batteries must be tested to the UN Manual of tests and
Criteria part III subsection 38.3 (ST/SG/AC.10/11/Rev.3) - more commonly known as the UN T- tests; and have been found to comply with the stated criteria.

For Carry-On: Batteries within a portable electronic device + spare batteries allowed (qty unspecified).

Checked Baggage: Batteries within a portable electronic device allowed. Spare batteries prohibited.

These are the ICAO recomendations however a carrier may choose to refuse transport them if they choose.

Moving Lithium and Lithium ion batteries around is getting more and more difficult due to a small number of incidents in the past few years. These two types of batteries LITHIUM BATTERIES and LITHIUM ION BATTERIES have different UN codes and are totally different beasts when it comes to transport, don't confuse the names.

N
Neil, providing you use the best, I think you'll find they've arrived from China in a 'plane already, and so meet that criteria. Whatever, they show up well on an x-ray (ever watched that in the 'oversize baggage area? Fascinating!!) no one at the Vegas race (LiPo only) got pulled on any airline. HTH