Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 07-11-2016

Default Speed passion problems

Hi I have speed passion reventon 'R' esc with speed passion 8.5t motor I have used it in 2wd buggy with no problems but now I have put it in 4WD buggy and yesterday after 4 mins it would lose all power just lip round but not cut out when got back to pit table switch it off than back on it would fine to race again same thing would happen again it has a over heat protection on the program card so plug it in was at 95% not sure % it should be also the spur gear is 85T with 22T pinion so I can't see it been the spur & pinion making it hot any advice would be good
Old 07-11-2016
Mad Member

Heat protection is 95 degrees, not %

Most people switch it off as its *very* inaccurate. Same as the low voltage.

Get an IR temp probe and do some testing to see what temps you are actually getting when you run (motor and ESC). Do 4 mins, check and cool, 5 mins check and cool, 6 mins check and cool and maybe 7, 8. Depending on how long you normally run.
If you get the same temps repeatedly (i do, between 60 and 65) you'll be good to go, if they are increasing each time (not stabilising) you'll have to decide what *your* acceptable level of risk is and set a timer on your radio. Or play with gearing/boost/timing/whatever to reduce temps.
My timer is set depending on low voltage (10 mins for 4wd) rather than temp. Even 10 minute runs in 30 degree ambient only gets me 65 ish degrees C

Might also be worth updating to the latest firmware if you can.

FWIW mine used to cut out at about 55-60 degrees, despite the thermal cut out being set to 95!
Old 07-11-2016
Mad Member

I saw a similar problem occur to a racer once when it would enter limp mode at the end of the straight - the brief bit of "full welly" would push temp over the edge, then 5sec of limp would drop the temp and it would be fine for rest of lap

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...