Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 21-05-2009

I found that tightening the diffs fully and backing off the screw 1/4 or 1/2 turn caused lots of problems with the DB-01 diffs - crushing of the spring, damage to the K4 part that holds the locknut and damage to the thrust bearing.. I know this method works for other diff designs, but it did not seem to be the intention for the Tamiya diff.

I have since followed the directions Tamiya provided in the DB-01 manual: hold the diff in one hand while locking both diff joints with allen keys etc. Now tighten the diff screw little by little until you can no longer turn the pulley with your other hand - then 'stop'..

Setting my diffs this way has eliminated all problems. The diffs work perfectly for racing - even after running a 6.5T..

P.S. The default setting for the slipper clutch (3mm) has worked pretty good so far. I can hear it slip and catch with higher power motors much easier than lower power motors.

I think you may be right about backing it off a little if you are running say a 13.5T or higher turn motor.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 21-05-2009

Thanks Dan, I'll retry the directions in the manual for the diff.
Old 23-05-2009

Send a message via MSN to darryl

i bought a secondhand durga a while back and the rear diff pulley wheel was shot i thought it was from just abuse but ater reading these threads i now know the cause so have re built with a new diff pulley wheel, but seems it will happen again so the only option is to use 501x rear diff halves, can anyone put me in the right ddirection as to where i can get hold of some please
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 24-05-2009

They are rarely found on ebay, bought mine from RC mushrooms ebay store. Keep you eyes open.
Old 24-05-2009

Its a stupid situation tbh. Here we have possibly the largest, most well known RC manufacturer in the world and you cant even get some parts for current kits anywhere

Ive tried a dozen shops UK & worldwide and no-one seems to have certain consumerable parts like the 501x/Durga metal diff halves in stock, or know when they are going to get any more. Which is silly when you consider the 501x is only 3 years old and the 511x, Durga etc are still current models.

501x bodies ? Nope. 37t diff pullies ? Possibly, i'm waiting for a reply of stock from one shop. Front 501x hexes ? Same as 37t pullies. White wheels ? Nope. Diff halves ? Nope.

Deep breath..... OK rant over

As soon as a modelshop e-mails me to say their in stock or a even a possible re-stock date for diff halves ill post it here. After ive got mine ordered of course
Old 24-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If it's an UK modelshop I wouldn't hold your breath Matt. Hobby Co don't/won't order TRF parts from Tamiya as they claim there is no demand
Old 24-05-2009

I've had 37T pulleys on backorder with Fusion for over a month. After reminding them on Friday, I have 1 on it's way (I ordered 2)

If you want Durga diff halves, I have a NIP set you can buy, I may have a spare hex or two as well.

501 diff halves are rarer than an honest politician, I got lucky and found a used set.

I'd advise you to get a pair of 18T layshaft pulleys for spares as well, my lad has done a couple of them.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 24-05-2009

Problem is Pete, its not just the UK ones.... US, Hong Kong and Euro shops ive tried or left e-mails with. Some parts, like the Diff Halves, just seem not to be available anywhere ive tried atm.

At least not that i can find anyway, after a couple of hours e-mailing. And i did find 2 webshops with them on the net, but as soon as they were ordered i got an e-mail back saying they were unavailable.
Old 24-05-2009

37t pulley
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-54023-Opt...0|293:2|294:30

Rear white wheels
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-51321-Spa...1|293:2|294:30

Front white Wheels
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-RC-TRF501...1|293:1|294:50

501x Diff joints
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-TRF501X-D...3286.m20.l1116

Or you can go to Racing Factory (Finland) and buy all you need from them. (Amazing fast shipping).
http://www.racingfactory.fi/products...a-parts?page=1
Old 24-05-2009

Whoops didnt look on Ebay.com.. only .UK. - Lesson learnt !

Spot on, cheers
Old 25-05-2009

Had a reply back from Brock Models today. Most of the parts i'm after ( 37t pullies, metal 501x diff joints, etc etc ) will be ordered in the next couple of days, and in stock, hopefully, in a couple of weeks. Worth contacting them to reserve a set or two if anyone needs those parts and don't want to order from abroad.