Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 31-03-2011

Lightbulb Short Course Truck Electrics

Hi all

Just wondering what you all run in yours?

Have been running a Novak Havoc 10.5t in my slash, which works well, but notice a few short course specific set ups, Castle Creations and Novak.....

Just wondered if anyone runs these or just lower t versions of what I've already got. Often thought an 8.5t would be more suited to my truck and the havoc than the 10.5?

Cheers
matt
Old 31-03-2011
Mad Member

Hi Matt,

the Novak and Castle Creations SCT set ups are aimed at the 4WD trucks, they are 550 motor based to handle the weight and heavy duty drivetrain.

10.5's seem pretty well matched to the 2WD class, any more and you will need a steady throttle to get the best out of it without wheelies and wheelspin, pretty much all our 2WD's are running either stock kit motors or 10.5 brushless.

There were a couple of 2WD's running 8.5T's at the Carnage meeting last year, but as soon as the front lifts under power the air gets underneath the body and parachutes backwards like an air brake!

I know that the mid east regional rules for SCT's are 10.5 limit class for 2WD and everything else is in open class... so 2WD's with faster motors will be in with the 4WD's... i think this is a great idea and will hopefully work and give some good fun racing.

If you are running the shortcourse shootout meetings then as far as i know its split into drivetrain classes so you can go as fast with motors as you like.
Old 01-04-2011

Cheers for reply and the info Freckly

Thought my set up was good enough, just thought worth an ask. Am planning to run in either 1 or 2 of the Shortcourse Shootout meets, (would love to do all, alas, don't think the mrs would be best pleased if I start spending nights away with the hobby as well )

Many Thanks
Matt
Old 01-04-2011

Im going to be running a hong nor with a cc mamba max pro with an ezrun 5.5
I will see how hot it gets and how it performs but would take some convicing to pay £190 for the 550 short course set up
Old 01-04-2011

You only need to worry about 550's in the heavier 4WD models. A 10.5T system in a 2WD is just the right balance.
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares View Post
You only need to worry about 550's in the heavier 4WD models. A 10.5T system in a 2WD is just the right balance.
What about the hong nor 4wd? Is there a system you would recommend?
Old 01-04-2011

Im just setting up a Tekin 550 system in my Durango Looking forward to its first run
Old 01-04-2011

Testing it tomorrow then Mr H?
Old 01-04-2011

Nope, not looking forward to it that much lol
Old 01-04-2011

This is Mine with a Neu 2250 MMp

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
What about the hong nor 4wd? Is there a system you would recommend?
I've seen the standard 540 sized gear in that car (SP V3 motor and SXX TC/Pearl ISTC) and in both cars they really guzzle those mAh out of the battery.

I've been reading around recently as I've just got a DESC410R and the impression I get is that you should be using 550 + a good powerful ESC (pref. 1/8 speedo). It does start getting expensive but can be kept cheaper with the right gear, like JonyNitro's below, the Mamba Max Pro is a good speedo that handles up to 6S and supports sensored or sensorless motors. Then you've got motors such as LRP or Tekin's 550 5.5T models, both top quality and top spec stuff, that setup would cost around £225. (MMP/LRP).

Don't forget, some good spec batteries are always a good idea too. The way I see it is that your better safe than sorry, i.e. go for good quality, heavy duty stuff over gear that could potentially go wrong!
Old 01-04-2011

If it was me I would buy RX8 ESC,MMP 5.5 T ,SC4X for sure, or the LRP buy once,

Or for the odd one GO MGM you get a two year warranty not 120 days on all their ESC,s
http://mgm-compro.com/index.php?tid=...-32-bit-system

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyNitro View Post
If it was me I would buy RX8 ESC,

omg, I've never seen such an expensive set up......bet it's sweeeeeet tho

this thread definitely makes sense as to why my havoc 10.5 didn't go too well with my hong nor when I had it in there
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares View Post
I've seen the standard 540 sized gear in that car (SP V3 motor and SXX TC/Pearl ISTC) and in both cars they really guzzle those mAh out of the battery.

I've been reading around recently as I've just got a DESC410R and the impression I get is that you should be using 550 + a good powerful ESC (pref. 1/8 speedo). It does start getting expensive but can be kept cheaper with the right gear, like JonyNitro's below, the Mamba Max Pro is a good speedo that handles up to 6S and supports sensored or sensorless motors. Then you've got motors such as LRP or Tekin's 550 5.5T models, both top quality and top spec stuff, that setup would cost around £225. (MMP/LRP).

Don't forget, some good spec batteries are always a good idea too. The way I see it is that your better safe than sorry, i.e. go for good quality, heavy duty stuff over gear that could potentially go wrong!
To be clear, my cc mamba is ok to run a 550 size motor. If that is the case I will buy a 550 motor, which one should I get?
Old 01-04-2011

I only really know of the LRP X12L, Tekin Redline SC4X and Novak do some too. LRP for me are top motors but the Tekin's are big in the states. Go for whichever you think looks best!

I've gone for the Tekin personally, but the LRP is about £20 cheaper...
Old 02-04-2011
Mad Member

The Novak HV 4.5T is so popular in USA with SCT that they started manufacturing it again after a slow run with 1/8th electric cars...

Tried a HoBao 4WD SCT running one on tuesday night and was impressed enough with its smoothness and torque that i've ordered one for my Losi 4WD SCT... will be running it with the same Fusion Comp speedo i ran in Hong Nor SCRT-10, which is compatible with 550's and rated at 150A.

for 4WD SCt the 550 motors are really recommended... my 540 size 6.5T was getting hot indoors, even with 2 cooling fans on the motor it was just acceptable on short tight tracks... but was stupid fast

The 550's seem to use less battery power with same gearing and have lots more torque... but more importantly don't get hot and will handle the heavy drivetrain better.
Old 02-04-2011

i had a novak ballistic 550 4.5 with a mmp speedo in my scrt10 it was awesome the torque was immense.it could jump doubles with no run up
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Default LRP 550

New LRP 5.5 550 in my Hong Nor. Its running on a SXX V2 and 40c 5300's. Its RAPID and the torque is unbelievable. Just needs gearing up now. Gonna try a 16 tooth pinion next. Great fun.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 04-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to 1rcdad

ran the castle creations short course combo in my hong nor,the 4 pole motor never even got warm,same rpm as a 10.5 but way more torque,ended up running a 17 tooth pinion,truck was way quicker than with the novak 4.5 but very smooth and controllable.
vbc wgt 10,skyrc toro 1s, 10.5
Losi 22 2.0sct,highest servo,speed passion 6.5
yokomo yz2,highest servo,skyrc 7.5
Old 19-04-2011

I have an Orion Vortex Race ESC not doing anything at the moment. Would that be able to handle a Novak Ballistic 550 or a Tekin SC4X? (In an AE SC10 4x4 btw.) I know it's able to handle pretty high amps.

Stig Berget - GMBK - Norway