Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 11-10-2009

Default brushes? brushless? lipo? im lost

hi guys its some time since i raced 1/10th off road, era of the cougar 2 works an the like. any way iv a son now and dug out everything from the attic to get him started, fireblade 2000, trinity matched 1700 batteries, trinity D5 motor etc etc and now i keep seeing reference to brushless motors and lipo batteries. can you guys give me a clue what i need to get racing again? do i need a full new setup or can i use what i have to get started again?? whats the advantages of these brushless and lipo stuff?

cheers
chris
Old 11-10-2009

there more efficient alot better run times ect. alot more over all performance little/no maintenance. allows u to run a higher voltage batt too. you can really get some speed out off them !

as its an oldish car you have there, the drivetrain might not be able to cope with a brushless set up. so maybe use wat ya got to get bk into it then move with the times and get a more up to date chassis ?
Old 11-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

Welcome back! If you want to be somewhat competitive then you'll probably benefit alot from a brushless esc, brushless motor and lipo battery setup and maybe a new car too as not sure if the cougars drivetrain can handle the high power motors we put in are cars these days

The lipo battries you never have to worry about discharging and conditioning etc. ever again and you'll only need one per car for club racing as you can just top it up after each race although you can run them for 2 or 3 runs easily without charging them so makes life alot easier, alot of people never even take the lipos out of their car. They also have alot more punch/power and capacity (up to 5500mah) than the nimh counter parts and are alot lighter too so well worth it.

The brushless speedcontrollers and motors are basically the same... less hassle... You don't need to do any maintenance on the motor, they are more efficient, more powerful etc etc...

Last edited by Mike Hudson; 11-10-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: RC Dan beat me to it!
Old 11-10-2009
Banned

lipo charger and balancer 3 lipo packs or 2 pack hard cased about £80 each 5000mha 20c to 35c. and a good lipo charger about £49.00 and brushless combo about £200 for a good 1. as brca will not let you use cheap china brushless combo
Old 11-10-2009

Hi, I used to have a Cougar it was ace, wish I still had it!

If you have Nicads and a brushed motor these will be fine to get yourself or your son back into it. I recently got a nicad out of a cupboard it had been stored for over 10 years and still charges and discharges fine. I know that as my charger tells me how much is going in and out. That's one thing you will like, modern chargers are the business.

Brushless motors do not have brushes or a commutator and so do not have the associated friction and heat.

Lipo batterys are better but you really don't need to worry about any of this you can run what you have for a while no probs.
Old 12-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I started back racing again with hand me down nimh's and a brushed motor setup and was competitive.

How a some months down the line I've bought lipo's and a brushless system and the car is much on the pace.

I could of done all of the MAM at kiddy yesterday on 2 packs of lipo with no need to charge there since I was only taking 1200-1400mah out of them each race.