Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Broxtowe Model Car Club

Old 06-08-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default Saturday nights 2013/14

Hi all.

Been to the sports centre today to confirm the bookings.

First night back will be 7th Sept 2013 runninhthrough to 26th April 2014.

Doors open as before 6pm till 10pm.

Main Classes

GT12 Brca spec
Gt12 Open
Tamiya mini Stock (Silver can)
Tamiya mini Open
Touring Car Stock (Blinky 17.5 @ 27t brushed)(Other spec upon approval)
Touring Car Open
Buggy 2wd
Buggy 4wd

Other classes will be fitted in and will be allowed to race.
Old 09-08-2013

The tamiya mini class rules need further clarification.

Stock
Stipulating silver can as the only restriction is insufficient in my view. You see, the beauty of the 'tamiya' minis is the restrictive gearing. If you allow high speed gear sets from the likes of 3racing, the silver cans will outrun a light brushless combo on the straights. Acceleration is limited by the fwd layout and tyre choice. Finally, what is classed as a silvercan? Kit mabuchi/johnson? Hpi saturn and other 'fan cans'? Red dot 20k+ rpm full race motors? I know the idea of this class is to provide a cheap introduction for new starters and to provide close racing but you will find the opposite true.

Open
I assume since the class is called 'tamiya' mini, the likes of the abc gambado, top racing sabre etc. Will be placed in gt12 open?

I think we can learn something from the aussies when it comes to the mini class restrictions. Any tamiya fwd chassis, open tyres and upgrades, STOCK gearing, tamiya sport tuned black can or ezrun 13t (same performance and cheap!).
Old 09-08-2013
Mad Member

The mini class is put on for you guys who run minis so feel free to sort out the exact spec rules for each class and we can run with them.
Old 09-08-2013

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate what you are saying.

I keep in touch with 90%+ of the guys who race minis and none of us have had any input on the decision to split the class. If you could point us in the direction of the decision maker that would be great.
Old 09-08-2013
Mad Member

Cool. If you all want to get together and come up with the classes and rules for the class you want to run then let me(Daniel), Andy, Jonno or anyone else on the committe know and we can run to them no problem.
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
I know the idea of this class is to provide a cheap introduction for new starters and to provide close racing but you will find the opposite true.
Why so? Will some be trying to gain an advantage by umm, shall we say pushing the envelope a bit? I heard on the grapevine (it's a big grapevine) that stock means stock as in the motor that comes in the kit so 99.9% Mabuchi 540 (I say 99.9% as there is probably the odd 0.01% of kits out there that had a 540-J in it). And stock gearing too, no fast tuned gear sets.

Quote:
Open
I assume since the class is called 'tamiya' mini, the likes of the abc gambado, top racing sabre etc. Will be placed in gt12 open?
Not sure, these may just go in Mini open, there haven't been an awful lot of non-Tamiya "Minis" in the past though so may not be an issue.

Quote:
I think we can learn something from the aussies when it comes to the mini class restrictions. Any tamiya fwd chassis, open tyres and upgrades, STOCK gearing, tamiya sport tuned black can or ezrun 13t (same performance and cheap!).
Personally - and it's just my 2 penneth - I partially disagree if we are talking Stock class. Firstly if you want to run an M04 or M06 you are welcome to do so (RWD) in either class depending on motors/gearing but yes run whatever tyres and hop-ups you want. Secondly black cans are getting quite pricey now and an EZRun setup is also not cheap compared to a boggo kit motor so why complicate it?
Old 14-08-2013

Thanks for your input Spoolio.

A Tamiya M-Chassis equipped with a bog standard kit motor, standard 37/20 gearing and kit 60d tyres has a top speed of approximately 17.5mph. 55d tyres (sweeps, shimisus etc) drops this to under 16mph.

At these speeds, the driver skill and car setup does not win races, it's the 'lucky' person who happens to come across a slightly faster motor, or the individuals who 'push the envelope' as you say.

The racers who keep to the rule book will need to run 60d tyres to remain competitive. As we all know, Tamiya 60d tyres are very expensive.

The HPI Saturn 20t is identical in performance to a Tamiya black can and they cost £10. I bought an ezrun 13t motor for £25 and a hobbywing esc for £20, both brand new. The top speed of the Saturn/ezrun is around 25mph. Not quick by any means but sufficiently quick to require braking for corners.

Every mini racer I've spoken to is in favour of 'one class', the same as last year.

Why does it need splitting?
Old 14-08-2013

I think that splitting the class is a waste of time, it worked last year with one class ... I do think that it should be TAMIYA minis only. It gave me the right hump being shoved around by Pan cars with mini shell fitted, bloody cheaters ...

I think the class is will be so difficult to police unlike GT12 blinkys.

Im running GT12 blinky for that reason ... I think alot of Mini guys are trying GT12 this season anyway ...

Is that 4p?

Scott