Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 30-03-2016

Default Bodyshells?

Just a quick question on bodyshells. I know the body makes a difference to the cars handling so what's the most popular choice for drivers? Been on eBay and looked through and I have to say there's slot of choice and they all look pretty similar. Got a Mazda 6 gx on my car at the moment. Can anyone explain what the merits of the different shells are?
Old 30-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike145 View Post
Just a quick question on bodyshells. I know the body makes a difference to the cars handling so what's the most popular choice for drivers? Been on eBay and looked through and I have to say there's slot of choice and they all look pretty similar. Got a Mazda 6 gx on my car at the moment. Can anyone explain what the merits of the different shells are?
I started driving TC earlier this year (only been to 1 club meeting at aldershot) and bought a PF Mazda 6GX. the car handled amazing through the fast corners and changed direction really good but everyone there suggested PF Mazdaspeed6 because is apparently handles more 'stable' and gives more front bite. I now have both and have driven the speed6 briefly and didnt notice any difference.

I figure because I'm driving 17.5T you rely more on mechanical grip and less on aero. The variables here are: the type of track and gearing/speed.

Not knowing your skillset or what class you drive, i would suggest use the 6GX and see what other fast guys are using and further down the line buy something similar. At the end of the day I figure it comes down to confidence more than anything anyways.

The chart below from PF might be of some help also.

Old 30-03-2016

The two main shells are the Speed 6 and the Ltc-r. The dart and gx are very very rarely used by the top guys which is why they're all being flogged off so cheap because nobody is buying them.

I tried a gx out of curiosity and went straight back to a Speed6. Handy if you wanna buy multiple shells at knock down prices though.

Nick Priest

http://www.midlandsraceway.co.uk/

http://model-car-racer.co.uk

For the best PERMANENT Indoor Off Road circuit in the West Midlands.
Old 30-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike145 View Post
As they have told you main 2 bodies are Protoform Mazda speed 6 & protoform LTCR. First one is more neutral and second one more aggressive.
Mazda 6GX it was supposed to be in the middle, but i never felt comfortable with it.
You have different manufactures like Bitty design, Blitz or Montech. Blitz and Montech are getting very popular. I have to tell that Nazda 3 from Montech is one of my favorites bodies when used with a High downfoce wing. It goes straight into middle from LTCR and Speed6 so it's ideal when ltcr is giving you too much steering and speed6 it's a bit lazzy.
I have tried some Bitty design, but I did not like the plastic, really soft.
I have never tried Blitz one, but most of users are liking them.

Racing 17.5T blinky I will get stuck with LTCR outdoors and Speed6 indoors.

Best regards
Javier
Old 30-03-2016

Thanks for the advice guys. Booked in for wlrc's next meeting on the 10th April so I'll stick with the gx for that only because I can't afford a new shell right now. Are shells available at meetings??? Must admit, I did find the gx a bit vague when I tested the car there during last week.
Old 30-03-2016

From my experience (crash a fair bit!!) protoform are more brittle thn Montech, the Nazda 4 on carpet can be a handful but good use of additive makes it work, will be trying it on a slippy Tarmac track soon, think the 3 is the one to have for all round