Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 20-05-2016

I sold a few bits so could afford a motor and ESC,they arrived today ,I got the trackstar 17.5t and 80amp ESC roar approved combo as I have another in one of my other cars and I already have the programming card ,that way if its too much for the 30+ year old translation I can dial down the punch etc to a more gentle setting .
That's all the electric's ready to fit, so i'll play about with positions tonight and make up a connecting rod for the steering servo, then all I'm waiting on is suspension arms and a paint job, I have to admit I hate painting things ,all the fiddly masking and waiting for it to dry ,I just don't have the patience .
Old 20-05-2016

More pictures in the morning all the electrics are installed ,steering linkage sorted ,it just needs front suspension arms to arrive ,pargu store emailed to say that they were out of stock of plain colour lower arms and would gold arms be OK ! Result .Any way other than the arms its just the anti roll bar linkage's and a dash of paint and she's finished ! Maybe two weeks YAY !
Old 20-05-2016
Awesome Admin

What's the length of the chain if you know buddy?
Old 21-05-2016

Pick's

Old 21-05-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Isnt this the car that Cliffe Lett built in the plane on his way to the worlds?
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 21-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Isnt this the car that Cliffe Lett built in the plane on his way to the worlds?
I'm afraid I don't know that story but I'd love to hear it .

I almost kissed the postman this afternoon when I saw a parcel from Korea in his hand , the top arms arrived Yay , and the aluminium for the roll bar links, so it was workshop time .Now it really is just the lower arms and glue the tires onto the wheels .

the arms look yellow but that's just the light ,they are just polished aluminium uncoloured.
Old 21-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
What's the length of the chain if you know buddy?
Next time I have the chain off I'll measure it as best I can.
Old 23-05-2016

Well I finally got my money back via paypal from eBay seller "gonracing-rc " for the front suspension arms he denied ever selling to me ,all very strange as I bought quite a few other bits off him without issue ,I think he just made a mistake and refused to admit it but his loss not mine eventually .
Anyway I have paint and lower arms coming and then she's finished
Old 24-05-2016

I had a go at the paint job today ,i,'m going to blame the crappy masking tape for poor results ,instead of crisp edges I got a lot of leeching and its a bit messy ,I hope to replace this shell eventually with a better one at a later date so I can treat this as a learning experience I guess .
I'll post some pictures later when I've had an attempt to tidy up the worst bits.
Old 25-05-2016

Still not happy after re working the body shell but it will have to do for now , its a traditional box colour scheme but a little simplified .

Old 27-05-2016

Yay the lower arms arrived ,Boo one of the steering hubs broke on the first test drive it looks like there's too much end float on the drive shafts and the left one half popped out and broke the hub where the king pin locates .oh well back to the build board .
There does not seem to be any camber on the wheels so I'm thinking that the CNC "C" hub is out of spec allowing excess end float on the shafts .
There was already a small crack on the hub ,I had hoped it would last longer ,ho hum .
Old 28-05-2016

Well what a day ,I started by terning and milling out a replacement steering hub ,4.5 hours work.
Then it was a really good look at the front dog bones binding up and popping out problem ,now this car has CNC upper arms ,lower arms and C hubs ,somewhere there is some error in tolerance as it leaves the shafts barely into the cups . Now I had a set of RC10 rear shafts not being used so I thought I'd modify them rather than the very rare stock ones ,so it was time to hone down the pins with a diamond hone and cut and shut them, basically cut the shaft in half make up a copper sleve from copper brake pipe and solder the sleve on to the two halves of the shaft adding about 2.5 mm in length ,it took several attempts to get the joints solid enough .
Anyway the long and short of it was the day has ended with a good 20 min run without issue
Pictures to follow when my daughter is off the PC.
Old 28-05-2016

Old 29-05-2016

One thing testing has revealed is I need either a stiffer anti roll bar or a second one up front as she lifts a rear wheel on tight corners.
Old 29-05-2016

Lots of little tweaks today, the brackets on the lower front arrms were giving too much leverage to the shocks and at the same time did not give the suspension full downward travel so I redesigned them ,the front spring was too stiff as well so I fitted a softer one ,now the front is working well .there's little damping going on at either end and plenty of leaking so I've ordered some modern shocks ,not so old school but this is a runner and about half of the pictures of these have different shocks fitted so its a period thing to do.
Old 23-08-2017
Awesome Admin

Hi mate, thought I'd dig up your thread as I've just acquired an 834 and was looking for info about them before mine arrives.
Have you still got yours and is it still running?
Old 25-09-2017

Oops I missed this , yes I still have it and run it from time to time ,still love it , any help you need just ask