Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team C Racing

Old 12-03-2016

Default TC02C exposed spur and pinion

Hi ,I've been building up a TC02C and it has an exposed spur and pinion gear ,how vulnerable are they to dirt ingress ,specifically sand ? I'm planning on taking it to track days at an outdoor astro track and i think that should be pretty safe ...but the only place to practice/bash locally to me is sandy and I'm just wondering how abrasive it will be .I made the mistake when cutting out the body of following the suggested cut lines and that leaves quite an opening around the gears but I could have cut it leaving it far more covered so I'm tempted to get another body shell and cutting it differently to use off track ,but am I worrying about nothing ?
Old 13-03-2016

Default Ahhh

Yes it will be a problem. Sand will eat away at the spur and pinion in seconds. You should got a gear cover with your kit. Check the manual for the part number and order one before using the buggy outside. It will be far cheaper to get the cover than to keep replacing the spur or pinion.
Old 13-03-2016

PS It sounds as though you have used an Evo shell, which will not have the bulges to form the gear cover. I used the narrow pre-Evo shell but mount it further back so that the integral gear cover lined up with the slipper. The front flares out a bit but nothing to worry about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC02C Shell 001.jpg (190.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg TC02C Shell 002.jpg (186.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Clive Loynes; 13-03-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 13-03-2016

Thanks guy's ,I have been trying to modify the gear cover used on the rest of the range ,cutting it a bit here and there ,covering the holes with plasticard ,I drilled and tappped a mounting hole beyond the pinion into the motor plate but no matter how I fettle it when i test drive it I can stilll hear it rub just a little and it sets off my OCD ,looks like new shell will be on order soon .
I have the Lupus/Mad Monkey chassis and body ,does the genuine TC02C shell/chassis offer more protection to the gear train or are they much the same ?
Old 13-03-2016

Oh dear!

The new oOple forum seems to have lost the ability to edit a post. It just replaced the text instead.

So I'll start again. The TC02C does not have a separate gear cover, it is an integral part of the body shell. Also, there are no fixing points on the motor plate to mount a gear cover either.

If you have the correct body shell then it will keep enough of the sand out to keep your gears healthy.

The two shells, now in the previous post, show "Penguins" two versions of shell for the pre-Evo verions of this buggy. The yellow one fits the narrow, TC02C, and the other one fits the wider, Lupuz/Mad Monkey. They are both in the order of £12.

The yellow shell now has cutouts in it, to accommodate a gear cover, which I needed to fit after switching to an Avid slipper. Prior to that no cover was used as the spur gear was well clear of the shell.

It now looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avid Triad 008a.jpg (359.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 13-03-2016

Thanks again Clive I'll look them up .
Old 13-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadio View Post

I have the Lupus/Mad Monkey chassis and body ,does the genuine TC02C shell/chassis offer more protection to the gear train or are they much the same ?
I'd say that there was no difference with regard to protection of the gears. The narrow chassis gives a lot less space to fit all the other kit in and unless you have a newish ESC (small footprint) there may not be too many options on where it can go.

I also started with the Lupuz and then switched directly to the Evo chassis but with my pre-evo rear end on it. If you are handy with a file you just need to remove 1mm from the innermost T-Plate fixing points. I'm still using the same chassis so I now have to put 1mm spacers in there. ;-)

Old 13-03-2016

Quote:
Thanks again Clive I'll look them up .

If you are over Southport way you can have my Lupuz shell for nowt. Not sure what it would cost to post.

Old 13-03-2016

I'm down south near guildford ,I had a bit of a surf about but cannot find the penguine body listed ,probably discontinud I guess ,I found one on Ebay the same as i have for 13 quid delivered so I think I'll order up one from there but I appreciate the offer .
Old 13-03-2016

Quote:
I'm down south near guildford ,I had a bit of a surf about but cannot find the penguine body listed ,probably discontinud I guess ,I found one on Ebay the same as i have for 13 quid delivered so I think I'll order up one from there but I appreciate the offer .

That's probably the same thing. I think it is Steve Haskins who makes them.

Old 13-03-2016

Thanks
Old 13-03-2016

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X2c-Team-C...8AAMXQlgtStyx-

I think that this is the narrow version and I can't see the Lupuz one. Perhaps he has stopped doing that one.

Old 13-03-2016

Default Body

I've got a brand new Team C TC02C body its in the packet. Part number TB201C if you want it. I'll do it for £13 posted. Let me know if your interested.
I'll send a pic if you need it.
Old 13-03-2016

Double damned , I just ordered the one i found on ebay otherwise i'd have taken you up on that ,but just to add to it I had one last go at fettling the gear cover i modified and now I have it working properly so I don't need the new shell anyway ,it can't happen any other way ,I guess it just needed a cash sacrifice to the rc gods ,often the way I find .If its a clear lexan body I might take it off your hands if you still have it next month but cash is always short and I can't afford it this month .

Last edited by Dadio; 13-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 13-03-2016

I think that the one Chris has is for the narrow TC02C.

It will not fit the wide Lupuz chassis. Well not too well anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC02C Shell.jpg (212.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 13-03-2016

I think you right it does look narrow.
Old 13-03-2016

Nevermind ,thanks anyway .
Old 13-03-2016

Just send Steve Haskins a message. He'll still have the mold for it if guess. Not seeing him until next weekend but could ask him then (if I remember).

Last edited by adon30; 13-03-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 13-03-2016

Thanks but I have it sorted now .
Old 14-03-2016

Guys beware - im sure its not BRCA legal to have your spur gear exposed