Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-11-2010

Default first car for kiddy

right crimbo is coming up and my partners 6 year old lad has been pestering me for a buggy after seeing my hormann, i did let him have a go with it but that lasted 10 seconds (dont ask, was silly to let him get hold of £3k worth or rc lol)

anyway any suggestions for a first rc? was looking at a rtr truggy or somthing durable and very easy to drive. i have plenty of old race packs here so batterys and chargers are not a problem.

was thinking of a tamiya grasshopper 2 (was my first rc many many many moons ago lol)

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 17-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

this would be a good car for a first one! i'm pretty sure kiddy is 1/10th only also
http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_in...oducts_id=7576
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

Hehe, not sure he meant the 'kiddy' your thinking of
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post
right crimbo is coming up and my partners 6 year old lad has been pestering me for a buggy after seeing my hormann, i did let him have a go with it but that lasted 10 seconds (dont ask, was silly to let him get hold of £3k worth or rc lol)

anyway any suggestions for a first rc? was looking at a rtr truggy or somthing durable and very easy to drive. i have plenty of old race packs here so batterys and chargers are not a problem.

was thinking of a tamiya grasshopper 2 (was my first rc many many many moons ago lol)
Tamiya have re-released a few of the buggies from your childhood - not the Grasshopper 2, but the original Grasshopper, Hornet, Frog etc. are still around on shop shelves.

Lots of fun to build (for you mainly) and sufficiently slow not to freak out a 6-year old.

Tamiya's "modern" equivalent basic buggies are probably a bit more durable and a bit easier to find spares for, and probably drive a little better too. DT-02 is the common basic 2wd chassis, they do it now with the Holiday Buggy shell and a 380 motor.

The Associated B4.1 that was mentioned (I think he confused kiddy to mean the kidderminster track, not a child!) is a very durable and good handling car (good enough to race competitively), but it is also VERY fast compared to a Tamiya.

There are lots of other decent cars around as well, personally I think there is something a bit more special about the Tamiyas for beginners, despite their shortcomings in terms of speed and handling.
Old 18-11-2010

ya i remember going from my grsshopper to a brand new schu bosscat (was like driving an f1 car lol)

anyho was looking more truggy as they are easy to drive and have lots of ground clearance and easy to jump with , these any good?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=36512

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 18-11-2010

they look like great trucks or you could get something a bit cheaper like a ansman macnum £45

Trader Feedback-1
Old 19-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post

i just brought my 8 year old lad a kyosho ready to run short course truck........its the dogs danglys......easy to drive.......jumps nice....dont break and it looks good..........kids just want something that works.....and these do,makes your life simple,we brought ours from moto arena for around the £200 area.......my boy gets up early for school just so he can hav a go with it 1st.......well reccomended........he's just started to race it at the tuesday night moto arena club night.....touch wood......its still in 1 piece........