Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 02-10-2014

Default Different diameter vintage Schumacher 2" spike tires.

I have one set of Schumacher front tires which are only marked "C.A.T.", which look like the stock tires for my Procat. I also have a set of tires which are marked with "C.A.T." and "Cut spike 3x20". These are larger in outside diameter than the other front tires. Both are 2" inside diameter. What gives? Was this done on purpose to achieve a front torque bias, perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires02.jpg (84.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-10-2014

Also, are repro 2" tires available somewhere? I have a set of JC Racing wheels with 2.2" tires, but I like the old school look. I tries an old Kyosho OT-66 tire and it's a very tight fit and the profile becomes deformed on the Procat rims.
Old 21-10-2014

I ordered some modern 2.2" tires. They fit the 2.1" Procat rims just fine. Some of the front tires I ordered were a little loose, but the Schumacher tires in the picture were perfect. dBoots Multibyte in the rear (Front 4WD were loose) and Schumacher Mini Spike 2 1/10 4WD Yellow Front tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Procat03.jpg (115.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 21-10-2014

Yes it seems that with the old wheels being 2.1" rather than true 2" & with their tyres generally coming up a little small, means you can actually run new tyres on old rims.... the 2wd stagger ribs especially seem to fit the old Schumacher wheels really well!

I can remember there being different profiles of Schumacher tyres - Minispikes especially were very 'baloony' - I wonder if it was so that the O/A of the tyres measured from the tip of the spike were about the same dia as say a full spike? - So gearing wouldn't change with a change of tyre? However I do remember there being some super low-profile mini spike tyres - but I have a feeling these were Schumacher copies (Amark perhaps?)

Schumacher still sell old 2" tyres in block & full spike treads - regular rears & wide (4wd style) fronts - the block tyres in modern yellow compound work really well on the high grip astro at my local club - even the modern buggies are using them stretched around 2.2" wheels (which are also wider) - so these are what I'm using;

+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 21-10-2014

I like the 2 inch block pattern tires as well, use these on my Kyosho Optima Mid:

Old 21-10-2014

Good to know. I have a hard time identifying the sizes in Schumachers list though. Are all tires 2", except when listed as 2.2"?

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/catego...oad_Tyres.html
Old 21-10-2014

Regarding the initial query, are you sure the outside diameters are different? I had something similar with the old Schumacher block tyres. I found that the front blocks I had were set really for thinner than normal 4wd front wheels. When stretched to fit normal 4wd front wheels it reduced the outside diameter of the tyres. The tyresvrear were fine. In the end I just moved the inside of the front tyres further outboard on the rims so that the outside diameter on the front tyres matched the rear.
Old 21-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
Good to know. I have a hard time identifying the sizes in Schumachers list though. Are all tires 2", except when listed as 2.2"?

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/catego...oad_Tyres.html
Errrm, I think they are all supposed to be 2.2" except those listed with C.A.T at the end of the description - these are the original 2" tyres that have been re-released ;-)
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 21-10-2014

Schumacher did do different diameter tyres in the original 2.0" mini spike tyre. The standard tyre had carcass about the same size as the original cat spike tyre, there was also a much lower profile version (about 2.4" diameter) and a high profile version. All in rear and 4wd front sizes.

There was also a larger diameter version of the current style 2.2 mini spike tyre when they first came out.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC