Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 13-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
I have a 5.5 turn motor and it's way too fast. It's ridiculous. I'm going to change to a 13.5 turn motor I have as I won't be racing it. I let a girlfriend of mine try it today and turned down the throttle to 35%. That seemed to calm it down to sensible speeds.
Of course you should race it! The Nordic vintage challenge is where it's at. Eskilstuna Sweden 16-17-18 of january. I will race my Cat or my Lazer, depending on which is more fun to drive.
Old 13-10-2014

I don't think I have anywhere near the skills to race it. I'm really afraid to break more parts as well.

My MMS diff arrived today. Typical. Haha. This is what I do. When I need something I order it, and then I try making it myself and don't need what I ordered any more.
Old 13-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
I don't think I have anywhere near the skills to race it. I'm really afraid to break more parts as well.

My MMS diff arrived today. Typical. Haha. This is what I do. When I need something I order it, and then I try making it myself and don't need what I ordered any more.
It's a Cat, it won't break. It's got that crashback front end!

The rules for NVC states a 13.5-motor, so it won't go super fast. You can do it.
Old 13-10-2014

I took out the rear diff now to make some measurements. The pulleys don't look worn at all, but I tried wrapping a new belt around the pulley and the pulley is just a smidgeon too small for the belts. The diameter of the pulleys is about 0,4 mm smaller than they should be, just like the front pulley. The pitch of the Schumacher pulley is actually 2mm. Could be wear, but I don't think so. the profile is rounded, so the center meshes better, but is still not perfect.

The used MMS diff I got seems to be the right pitch.

Last edited by tahustvedt; 13-10-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 14-10-2014

I made a rear diff with drive pulleys today. It looks like it should work really well. The belt mesh is just right and they are both wider and with fences on the center gear. I really should make new center shaft pulleys, as they are probably the ones that would slip first. I hope the belt tension on both drive and front belts can be much lower with these diffs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diff02.jpg (167.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-10-2014

EPIC performance.

Looser belt than before and no slip on any belts, including if I punch it with the front wheels on a wool carpet and the rear on slippery hardwood. Much better than stock. I'm happy with it.
Old 17-10-2014

Ran it outdoors. Worked really well. The 5.5 turn motor is way too much for me to handle so I put a 13.5 turn motor in there instead. I managed to break one of the front suspension brackets when I hit a goal post (I know). They look pretty weak. I think I'll make a new part out of delrin BEFORE I buy one this time. I glued it together and it seems to hold for now.

Still waiting for the bumper. Probably stuck in customs. Here's what it looks like. I'm quite happy with my paintjob. I popped off the anti roll bar to make it look aggressive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Procat02.jpg (114.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 17-10-2014
Mad Member

Fancy making some more pulleys/diffs?

I have either procat parts or cash!!
Old 22-10-2014
Awesome Admin

Just to throw a bit more fuel in the fire I recived a nip mms diff today and like the last set I had, it's got the belt guides protruding and not cut in for O rings. Which makes me wonder how many variations there were?

Old 04-11-2014

i have a spare rear MMS diff and the belt guides raised too. Decidied against using it for my build. The diff action just isnt as smooth as the bc pro diff.

let me know if you want 3d cad files for the diff outputs for bc pro diff. i did a whole thread on the diff and listed where the rare parts can be sourced off shelf. the main components to the diff are still pretty easy to source as they are common to the bc sport diff.