Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 15-03-2010

Default Advice needed..

Hello, I am in the progress of converting a MBX 6 to eletric.

I am thinking of this setup:
http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...oducts_id=5538

The Tekno kit. Has someone any experience with this?

I have also heard that Eliterc has some pretty nice Motor mounts, but is the Tekno any good.?

Then MOTOR an ESC:

MOTOR: I am probably going for a Tekin , but what does the different 2D, 1,5Y and so on stand for??
I am going to drive 4s 5000mah batteries, which motor should I go for??

I was thinking of 2200 kv but maybe it is too much?

ESC: Either Tekin or Hobbywing, beside the size, is the Tekin worth 100 quid more??

Cheers
Old 15-03-2010

The Tekin will be easier to return if anything goes wrong, and it is a lot smaller.

I don't like the Tekno conversions personally as they tend to flex around the motor mount area which can ruin the motor. The Elite-RCD mount is very good, but pricy. RC-Monster do a conversion kit for the MBX6, which has a battery tray that the ESC can sit on (pre-drilled for the RX8 mounting holes).

The 2D, 1.5Y etc is the winding pattern used. Generally, a Y-wind will be lower KV, higher torque than the equivalent-numbered D wind. I would suggest the 1900KV motor for more controlability on a loose or small track, the 2050KV for normal track use - this would be most versatile, or the 2200KV for large or high grip tracks, or for bashing.

Which batteries are you going to use?
Old 15-03-2010

I am buying these batteries:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8584

Ok, so the Elite + monster battery tray is a good combination?

Thanks!
Old 16-03-2010

Send a message via MSN to BRS

You can see the rc monster kit in my thread here with a RX8 / 1700kv 5S Tekin setup http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39819

The Tekno kit looks nice but that chassis is very wide (ironing board stylee), I prefered to use the standard chassis with side guards that have relief so not to scrub so much. Also I didnt want mechanical brakes in an electric car I like the simplicity inside the car of esc brakes, plus the weight (5000mah batterys weigh a ton).

If I was buying now I think I would go for rc monster kit again with a custom battery tray for 6S 2500-3000mah RX8/1400kv Tekin setup. That way the car would be as efficient as possible and weigh close to a nitro setup not 1/2 a kilo more like mine does with the 5000mah battery in.

The Elite mount looks very nice but not sure its worth it especialy if its a seperate order rather than all from rc monster to uk with shipping and possible customs taxs. Once you have the gearing right its right, not much call for quick motor in and outs anyway....
Old 16-03-2010

For the easiest time overall, just get the RC-Monster MBX6 conversion (includes motor mount, battery tray and servo mount top plate).

For the best performance/ease, get the Elite motor mount, a custom-sized battery tray, specifically made to your batteries, and you'll be there.

I'd expect you to get about 15 minutes out of the 4S 5000 pack, and the weight balance will be pretty good like that too.

The batteries you've chosen perhaps want increasing to the 30-40C batteries, but the brand is pretty good overall, and for the money, simply excellent.
Old 16-03-2010

I have been running mbx6E conversions for awhile now and so do about 7 of my close racing buds so I have seen alot of conversions for it and here are y thoughts.

Marvin is right techno is not that good unless you absolutely have to run it like a gas car and want all the brake bias and clutch crap that comes with that. Otherwise pass.

The elite and rc monster mounts are both good quality. Elite lets you change motors and or pinions SUPER easy and adjust gear mesh SO easily. The RC Monster mount has a versions that lets you take out the center diff a tad easier (less screws) and thats nice if you adjust your center diff oil alot. So you have to ask yourself which is more hassle a few more screws for as often as you change diff oil (rc monster mount) or 1 screw gear mesh adjusting and fast pinion changing or motor changing if you use plugs to your esc (Elite mount)

The big thing about elite mounts also is the extra bearing (gas clutch bell std. size) that goes in their mount that helps take out alot of wear and jaring out of the life of the normal front brushless bearing. The 3 that I have had go out were all on standard mounts. They were castle motors and had to send them in to be completely replaced since the balls blew out and I could not remove the bearing rings, castle demed it easier to send me a new motor than replace the bearing for some odd reason in the 2 cases it happened to 1/8th motor. My 3rd time was to a traxxas motor.

The New bolt on mbx6 battery mount from RC monster seems good.

If your running 4 cell get either the tekin 1900 or castle 1800. Tekin will feel smoother on the low end but Castle has better reliability reputation. both are superb customer support. The tekin esc runs cooler and tunable with out a computer and on board temp meter makes it my favorite.

Good luck
Old 16-03-2010

Thanks a lot for very good advice here guys, the bricks are beginning to fall in the right place now!
I will keep you updated on the end result!