Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 29-06-2011
Mad Member

Default Gear diffs for the B44.1?

Anyone know if AE is planning to make this?

So far the only solution I know of is machining Durango gear diffs to fit, and it's a very complicated process...

Or are there any other gear diffs that are a direct fit???

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 29-06-2011

Isnt a ball diff a better drive than a gear diff?..why would you want to change to a gear diff? (just interested)
Old 29-06-2011

I think the idea is to fit and forget.

Ball diffs are better but do need a rebuild more offten.
Old 29-06-2011

ehh...

to say ball diffs are better wouldn't be true. people don't test them fully. they drop them in, try one or two oils and call it quits. there is a reason TC and Offroaders are starting to integrate them into their arsenal.

more direct drive, less maintenance, can be fine tuned. its all about feel. some people like them some don't, i'm sure with some manufactuers they'll become a mainstay, which will mean stronger materials, better tuning ect.

i won't go as far as to say they'll take over, but in the next year or two, i wouldn't be surprised if they came standard on more than the durangos. they'll definately be option parts for even more cars sooner than later.
Old 30-06-2011

Interesting that the Durango guys are running ball-diffs in their cars then..
Old 30-06-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabben View Post
Interesting that the Durango guys are running ball-diffs in their cars then..
Really??? Who? And how do you make them fit? AE diffs?

My reasons:

1) Less maintenance. The ball diffs perform great, but with all the power these days and high grip astro the ball diffs must be rebuilt very often. I race and practise mostly for fun, and I'd like as little maintenance as possible. And time is in short these days

2) Performance. Being lazy, my ball diffs are more often than not crap. So even if a gear diff is only 90% (just an example!) efficient compared to a new built ball diff, I'd still get a lot better diff than my worn ones

But of course, if gear diffs are not to my liking handling wise I'll go back to ball diffs of course!

And I don't believe in gear diffs for 2WD, only 4WD.

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 30-06-2011

I believe Hupo tried it at the Worlds warm-up..

I think the car will get a much smoother feeling with ball diffs. Much easier to drive, and not that edgy and nervous.
Old 30-06-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
Really??? Who? And how do you make them fit? AE diffs?

My reasons:

1) Less maintenance. The ball diffs perform great, but with all the power these days and high grip astro the ball diffs must be rebuilt very often. I race and practice mostly for fun, and I'd like as little maintenance as possible. And time is in short these days

2) Performance. Being lazy, my ball diffs are more often than not crap. So even if a gear diff is only 90% (just an example!) efficient compared to a new built ball diff, I'd still get a lot better diff than my worn ones

But of course, if gear diffs are not to my liking handling wise I'll go back to ball diffs of course!

And I don't believe in gear diffs for 2WD, only 4WD.
not that we run ether car but wanted to pick up on ball diffs need building very often ?? really we manage to get 2-3 months plus out of a rebuild easily,i wouldn't say that is often and see people running geared diff's take em out more often than us,
Old 30-06-2011
Mad Member

Get some ceramic balls in your diffs...

Last for ages, very smooth and cheap. (60 for £16 off ebay)
Old 30-06-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

schuy runs em any way
Old 30-06-2011

A kyosho fs diff can be modified to fit in a Durango.

I hate balldiffs. Not in a performance like way but for the maintenance part.
People who say they run their diffs for months and still have a silky smooth diff are not telling the truth. Strictly impossible. they ware out rather quickly.
On flat dirt tracks with normal grip and normal jumps they lasts much longer and even indoors on high grip track because they often are flat and the jumps are evenly flat all over the surface.
What kills a ball diff the quickest are bumpy high grip track like astro tracks.
Our astro track does not have one meter of flat surface and the car is in the the air more or less all the time and it eats the diffs up after only one run.
Have build and rebuild diffs a thousand times and in different ways and with different diff grease and balls and what not. Still the same result.

I have discovered what I think is a gritty diff, others find perfectly good so my standards are maybe a bit high. I must be damaged after all the Tc I have been doing. Really really important in tc that the diff is right on the money.
More geardiffs for the masses and the technology to build them lighter and with less rotating mass exists. I do not race buggy any more cus of that fact and the Durango is not a option for me. Do not think the durango is the way it is because of the geardiffs only.
Old 01-07-2011
Mad Member

That's the thing! When you rebuild properly (I know all the ropes, and have tested ceramic balls also), they last quite long on a low grip surface. B-Fast diff plates are great!

But high grip astro + bumps + jumps = ball diff killah!

@West Ridge: Do you have the time + equipment to modify Durango gear diffs to fit a B44 for me? I have a friend with a lathe, but the stuff has been at his place for 12 months now... he says he finds it too difficult...

Visit my showroom
Old 01-07-2011

@ shy
I got the knowhow but not the time nor the necessary equipment to do this mod. I was that close to buy a lathe myself to get it done but the pricetag was too steep. Sorry.
I hope we will see more geardiffs in the future. I am convinsed the manufactures can build cars based from the beggining around geardiffs. Not only geardiff converted balldiff cars.
Old 01-07-2011
Mad Member

OK, no prob

Then there was some other swede who had done that mod himself, you remember who?

Visit my showroom
Old 01-07-2011

No, it was me but gave up due to the expencive pricetag. Was just not worth it. Talked with a lot of different companies and everyone could help me but when the price landed on at least 1200sek (115Gbp) per diff I gave up. Plus the cost of the diffs and bavelgears.
Run 1/8 electric now a days instead. Faster and more durable and a lot of fun geardiffs ha ha.
Old 01-07-2011
Mad Member

I see

With LiPo and brushless, the final "lazy boyz" piece missing for me is gear diffs >> Just press the ON button

Theoretically - wouldn't it be great also with a center gear diff? (Like in 1:8) For a smoother drive, and less strain on the driveline?

I'm guessing we will see more and more geared diff in the future, but as you say smaller and lighter...

Visit my showroom
Old 01-07-2011

Yeah, centrediff combined with a slipper. Been thinking on that matter a lot. Could be done rather easily with shaft driven cars but the problem is the added rotating mass.
Old 01-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ridge Racing View Post
Yeah, centrediff combined with a slipper. Been thinking on that matter a lot. Could be done rather easily with shaft driven cars but the problem is the added rotating mass.
But with a longitudinally mounted motor like in for instance a B44 I guess the center diff and the motor would equilize each other?

Visit my showroom
Old 01-07-2011

Yes, but the way it is now it is pretty closely balanced between the centre shaft and motor. I am afraid a centrediff could over compensate perhaps.
Do not see those issues in 1:8 due to the wider diameter rotors I suppose.
But still worth a try in 1:10
Old 01-07-2011
Mad Member

@Sabben: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...031#post522031

>> may look as you're right...

Visit my showroom