Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

View Poll Results: Summer 2013 Season Proposal
Yep go for it... 7 53.85%
No way man you must be mad!! 6 46.15%
urmm I think something else 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Yep can totally agree with that, but I think the least we cut it down to is 28 scores counting so another 8 results or 4 weeks so 10 weeks in total can be lost but yea I like the sound of FTD extra point :-)

If there was even point count back would always decide of course

That sounds about right to me. What does everyone else think?

Just took a quick look at the results for last summers Mardave/Mini Championship and there are about 12 or so drivers that attended (or nearly attended) enough weeks to record 28 scores/14 weeks.
Old 31-01-2013

It makes absolutely no difference to me wether I am getting points or not as I am not going to get anywhere in the championships anyway.

As long as I can race everyweek, I`m happy!

That was quite a pointless post really, reading it back!
Old 31-01-2013

Starting position in qualifying is determined by your average score from qualifying from the previous year/championship. You are scored up to 30 points for 1st, 29 for 2nd and so on. It is an AVERAGE of all your qualifying results (not your finals). So for example, if you turned up once in 2012 and TQ'd you would start all of this season on pole.

However, Steve is the adjudicator so this is flexible. therefore, if no one has any previous scores, or their qualifying score was not representative of thier performance, Steve will manually adjust this - you just need to a) ask him and b) proove it. If its a close call, he will give it in favour of the person who has the more results.

So if your asking to move up you'll need to quite convincingly beat the people starting directly ahead of you. you cant expect Steve to just move you up on your say-so.

but this system works and is fair. Ive not known anyone get upset from this - so if anyone is I suggest they speak to Steve as its so easily resolved. If someone is in the wrong heat he will move them forward - just takes a little common sense which our Steve has in abundance. (he went to Marling)

I dont think this needs to change as it aint broke. and the way it is at the mo is very easy for people like Steve to create the heats (which he does for a mere £100 a night - joke!)
Old 01-03-2013

Any updates on this, I know the questionnaire went out at club a few weeks ago.

Another thought on this would be to run to championships through the Summer and to be run on alternative weeks. Touring car and Supastox championships A one week, then T/C and S/S championships B on alternate weeks.

This would give competitive racing every week and for those that can only do certain nights, it will give them the chance to race alternative weeks but still compete for a championship. Downfalls would be that it means two championships that run concurrent, which may confuse some people And that it could make championship A or B more competitive as drivers concentrate on each class on alternative weeks.

Personally though I'm not really looking at championships and just want competitive fun racing every week
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 14-03-2013

Default The Results Are in....

Hi all

Well the votes are in and out of the 25 Votes we have a majority who want the new system

Voting was 14 (56%) for yes, 8 (32%) for no and 3(12%) for try something different.

So I am pleased to say the new system will be adopted for the start of the next season.

Thanks for Voting.
Old 14-03-2013

what a stupid system, now I can spend half my time at GERCC "practising", total madness
Old 14-03-2013

Right - let's see if this works!!
I have read through this thread and feel I need to clarify some things and put my view forward, which hopefully is unbiased, as I don't race.

Qualifying score
Some of you have got the right idea of how this is calculated but here it is simplified.
Each week there is a total of 60 points up for grabs (30 for qualifying & 30 for final). 30 points for 1st, 29 for 2nd etc. These are added up each week and the total is divided by the number of weeks ie your average score or qualifying score. The number 30 was picked purely because it was decided that there would never be more than 30 drivers in any one week who would be racing the same class of car. This method of calculating the qualifying score has proved very accurate. This can be shown during any evenings racing by how little the heats change from qualifying to finals. It also is not affected by how often you race except if you only race very very occasionally and only then if your results for that night are not your normal standard.

Championship
The points for the championship are made up from qualifying and finals. I decided that it was unfair to only get points from one race ie the final. There were racers who did really well in qualifying and then messed up in the final and therefore had nothing to show for the evening. Each championship season is approximately 26 weeks. We appreciate that people have holidays etc and (as some of you have realised) we didn't want the championship to be decided by whoever came the most hence we allow for a number of absent weeks - normally about 5. Therefore we say the maximum amount of weeks which can be attributed to your final count is 21. The only advantage now of racing every week is if you have a bad weeks racing because we only use the best 21 weeks out of 26.

Summer championship rules
The new rules will not affect anyone's qualifying position. It just means the scores will be lower because there will be less scoring weeks.
Personally, I can't see any advantage in the new system which reducing the number of qualifying weeks wouldn't solve - say 'the best 15 out of 26'. This way you are not held to certain weeks as qualifying weeks. Say for example you do shift work - it could be feasible that you will be working every qualifying week and therefore get no championship points at all. Doing it my way you can decide for yourself which weeks qualify.

This is just my view - I will do whatever you all decide.
Old 14-03-2013

Had a problem finishing the missive above so thought I would send it before I lost it and continue here.
Mark is correct re how I can manually input qualifying positions.
When someone first starts racing I have to 'guess' a score based on their own view. If this score is proven to be wrong I can adjust it so that drivers are racing against other drivers of a similar ability - obviously if all else fails, £100 will always improve your qualifying score. I think I'm joking but don't tempt me!!
Old 15-03-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Have to see how this works out but my first reaction is that I believe it will reduce the number of drivers from the fast end of the field showing up to race on non championship nights thus making the whole thing less fun.
Really enjoying GT12 even if I am still struggling a little with getting my head around setting up a car on sauced foam tires but if I'm right it will be in the classifieds soon & I'll be back to 100 mile round trip for club racing again :-(

See you tonight if my tires show up in time
Old 15-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy Senior View Post
Right - let's see if this works!!

Summer championship rules
The new rules will not affect anyone's qualifying position. It just means the scores will be lower because there will be less scoring weeks.
Personally, I can't see any advantage in the new system which reducing the number of qualifying weeks wouldn't solve - say 'the best 15 out of 26'. This way you are not held to certain weeks as qualifying weeks. Say for example you do shift work - it could be feasible that you will be working every qualifying week and therefore get no championship points at all. Doing it my way you can decide for yourself which weeks qualify.

This is just my view - I will do whatever you all decide.
My thoughts exactly, it wasnt broke was it?

We should have just reduced the number of qualifying championship weeks to 12-15 thus keeping the flexibility for attendance and maintaining competitive racing week to week.

The new system will reduce club revenue too. Personally I wont bother coming to non championship weeks whereas currently I come along whenever I can (approx 40 weeks a year) because I know there will always be competitive fun racing.

Sorry chaps, I just dont get it
Old 15-03-2013

As I have stated at the start of this thread. It aint broke so why change it. As Steve and Grayslick have eluded to, reducing the number of weeks that are counted towards the championship would have the same net result.

This wholesale change of the current system only satisfies those that plan on racing two cars in different championships.

Like Martin, I may also consider only racing alternate weeks, reducing active numbers, making the racing less fun.

The club has people travelling from far afield to race competitively at Glos, will these people bother week in week out? I very much doubt it.

So when the club numbers drop again as they do year in year out during the summer months, we will see how profitable the clubs becomes then.

A backward step satisfying the few "who bothered to vote".
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"

Last edited by Simion Wabs; 15-03-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 15-03-2013

Cool

I am quite new to this and have stayed out of the thread but having seen the "result" I had to comment.

Picture the scene - its a lovely evening, the sun is up and the Wife is pestering you to drag the BBQ out of the shed. Having said that its Friday night and that means race night at Glos .... on hang on, it's only practice for my class tonight so why bother. Lets stay at home and earn some browny points for putting the family before the club.

It does seem short sighted in my opinion to make it so that the incentive to turn up each week is deminished. A far more sensible approach would have been to reduce the amount of point scoring weeks so that if people did have a poor week when setting up the car it would not impact their standing. Having an average is also a good idea as long a minimum number of rounds have been reached.

The club will surely lose revenue if the reason to turn up each week for those of us who do not have the money to run more than one class. If people are so keen to run set ups on the live track is not possible to arrange a seperate practice night during the week? I am sure this might be possible if the venue is not already booked up and people are willing to stump up to cover the cost.

With the Gloucester Quays event on the horizon we have the potential for even more people joining so what is next, a once a month competitive week per class with a deli style ticket system!

Not everyone goes on Oople and whilst I understand that voting slips were available at the club it was a bit covert and as such not everyone will have been aware. The people who are engaged will have voted but as many of them are normally the ones who are proposing the idea with a voting pool so low it may have distorted the vote.

Shame to have gone down this route especially as so many people have stating that it was not broken in the first place.
Old 15-03-2013

Ok, so just looking my diary for the coming months. I know I'm not going to be able to make at least 3 of the scheduled GT12 rounds. So that means I already know I cannot score the maximum qualifying rounds
Old 15-03-2013

I am baffled by the moaning here…

A complaint had been made about the way the championship was run…

A solution was created by the committee to be passed to the club

YOU the drivers were asked to vote..

YOU the drivers voted it in.

I think it is probably a good idea to let this run for the summer season and see how it goes and we can re-evaluate the system if it looks like its failing..
Nothing in the RC world is for ever
Old 15-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMadShane View Post
I am baffled by the moaning here…

A complaint had been made about the way the championship was run…

A solution was created by the committee to be passed to the club

YOU the drivers were asked to vote..

YOU the drivers voted it in.

I think it is probably a good idea to let this run for the summer season and see how it goes and we can re-evaluate the system if it looks like its failing..
Nothing in the RC world is for ever
I didnt see any voting slips, when were these made available? seems at least 2 others are in the same boat, so 8 peope said no + 3 others that didnt know about the voting slips + 3 others that didnt like the idea anyway = 14 yes 14 no
Old 15-03-2013

crikey - i voted for the change, but seeing the objections people have means they feel a lot more strongly about this than I do. Maybe this is the same for others as well.

I voted for it as the championships or championship points arent my priority. I just want to win whatever . And I liked the idea of groups of us all concentrating on the same class at the same time.
But basically id still turn up the same amount so whichever decision wouldnt affect me hugely.

But guess if other people dont feel the same it aint good. I dont think we want to be putting people off coming - thats for certain.

Dont really know how we could go forward now???
Old 15-03-2013

guys- would also say be careful how you/we comment about new rules - Shane has tried to do things fairly so try not to blame but explain.

If people didnt know about voting then its defo a valid point.

Cheers
Old 15-03-2013

It’s all well and good waiting till now
The voting slips were at race control for any1 one to vote for more than 1 week and I think Shane took them around so if people didn’t vote whose fault is that?

The main advantage of the new system was that there would never be mixed cars in races where there were champ point up for grabs…. But seeing as the new club no longer allows mixed classes in heats then that advantage as now gone.
Another one is yes people doing 2 classes it makes life easier……but id still do 2 class’s neways because I ENJOY JUST RACING.
Less counting weeks so it’s not just an attendance race…. That can also be fixed due to having less counting week …. Granted.
People could spend less racing ……not have to run good tyres every week for instance people could use a harder compound on practice nights which will last longer and save money???

But at the end the day I go racing because I enjoy racing my toy cars, if there a champ or not I don’t care, I enjoy racing round with friends having a social night and hopefully doing well.
If people ONLY come to collect points for the champs and this system is going to kill of the club (as that is what you are trying to say and use that as leverage) then how come so many people turned up in the snow for just a free for all???
Im quite sure the vast majority come to the club because they love racing RC cars and get a buzz out of it and that (inless people only are points collecting) isn’t going to be effected by these rules. Same people will be there same racing will take place nothing on the surface of the night will change only the background champ tables. So I really can’t see how that is suddenly going to kill the club like you are saying.
Old 15-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markygia View Post
guys- would also say be careful how you/we comment about new rules - Shane has tried to do things fairly so try not to blame but explain.

If people didnt know about voting then its defo a valid point.

Cheers
My response was absolutely not having a dig at anyone on the committee and especially not at Shane - I never shoot the messenger. Running any kind of club is hard work and will no matter what your intensions and with the best will in the world you will never please all of the people all of the time.

As said in a previous post this is running over the summer season and see how it goes.
Old 15-03-2013

Sound - let's all stay cool and happy. My post was really aimed more at possible future comments rather than previous- I was being presumptuous. I don't think anyone has been offensive but can see people gettin more and more emotive.