Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-05-2013

Default Which servo under £50

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new servo for my 2wd buggy. I'd like to pay less than £50. My last servo was an Alturn AAS752MG which after a heavy shunt will not return to centre quickly and eventually causes the receiver to unbind (I assume due to a voltage spike).

I've been looking for a decent replacement over the last week, but I keep reading comments about Alturns and Savox's being power hungry and causing some receivers to unbind.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. I don't necessarily need the fastest servo, just something reliable.

Ideally I think I should get something with a torque of at least 12kg/cm.
Old 05-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Highest or tresrey

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 06-05-2013

Where can you get Highest or Tresrey servos in the UK for less than £50?
Old 06-05-2013

I would save a little more and buy a futaba or sanwa for £90 new. they are much more precise and return to centre better and can take a lot of hammering. other wise you are going to be buying a new servo every season.
Old 06-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Where can you get Highest or Tresrey servos in the UK for less than £50?
MB models has them in stock. I've just bought the tresrey off road servo and put it in my bmax2 mr. Had great performance yesterday.....
Team Corally
Exotek

www.batleybuggyclub.com
www.rccarshop.co.uk

Trader Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169814
Old 06-05-2013
Mad Member

Always been a fan of Savox. I've used a 1251mg in both 2wd and 4wd for over 3 years without a glitch. Sold it to a mate for his gt12 and is still going strong
Old 06-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new servo for my 2wd buggy. I'd like to pay less than £50. My last servo was an Alturn AAS752MG which after a heavy shunt will not return to centre quickly and eventually causes the receiver to unbind (I assume due to a voltage spike).

I've been looking for a decent replacement over the last week, but I keep reading comments about Alturns and Savox's being power hungry and causing some receivers to unbind.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. I don't necessarily need the fastest servo, just something reliable.

Ideally I think I should get something with a torque of at least 12kg/cm.
Something is jamming in your servo, the figures you need to find are stall currents, the powerful savox have a higher stall current than your BEC can supply but this is probably the case for any 12kg + servo unfortunately when I looked the only manufacturers that print this info that I could find are Savox and HD. If you have a saver fitted its probably not going to be an issue as that will stop the servo locking. make sure your endpoints are set properly so the servo isn't pulling against a dead end. I'm running a Savox 1251 on 2wd which has a stall current of 3A which the BEC will handle (just) and a 1258 on 4wd which has a stall current the BEC wont handle but it does have a saver. The unbinding thing various from receiver to receiver, some are more sensitive to voltage dips, the spektrum have a bit of a name for this, with spektrum and Core / Code receivers I use a capacitor plugged in to the receiver, the Sanwa I have now seems to be ok without it. Of course you could always buy the Tekin rs pro gen 2 which has a 5.5A BEC but there wont be any ££ left to buy a servo
Old 06-05-2013

Hitec 7955
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt View Post
Hitec 7955
Bit slow and way more torque than needed for a 2wd
Old 07-05-2013

Noted I use 7940 an a expert 3401 but there overbudget just thought as he's looking for reliability more than speed
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 07-05-2013

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I see the point about buying a pricier servo, but I don't race often enough to warrant it. I have some nice KO servo's at home from the 90's that are better quality, but need a power lead direct from the ESC which is not common now with brushless ESC's. My fear with buying another pricey servo is that the technology will become obsolete again.

Seeing the comment about high torque servo's drawing high currents makes sense. I had initially disregarded the Tresrey servo as the torque was less than 12kg/cm, but with this new information about high currents the Tresrey sounds more promising.

I was initially going to buy a Savox, but feared it would just cause my Core receiver to unbind. Where can I get these capacitors and do they plug directly into the battery connection on the receiver? Do they come with the plug?
Old 07-05-2013

i use SAV-SC1252MG - Savox Digital Low Profile Servo 7.0KG / 0.07SEC @ 6V
in my dex410 never had any problems and less then£40 if you look around
Old 07-05-2013

I had a savox 1251mg worked well for the first 7 months then started chewing gears within 3 days of replacing them and unbinding my rx for no need, ive had the same set up and havent changed anything on the car but still chews up the gears! I m going for the cheap servos at least they are half the price of the savox, and its better then replacing the gears every race meet!
Old 07-05-2013

Normally I would say the link below:

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/voltage-...-p-406229.html

Unfortunately out of stock and the model shops charge £6 to £7 for these.

Alternatively buy cap from RS and solder to an old servo lead from a defunct servo:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/7110882/ £3.20 +vat for 10

you can get 4700uf from maplin but they are 16v so bigger and harder to find space for them

if you haven't got a spare socket in receiver you can buy a Y splitter from Giant shark, cut one socket off and solder your capacitor to that