Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 27-01-2008

Default Rb5 status.

Hello buggy-friends!

The Rb5 have been on the market for allmost a year now. And I am wondering of getting one my self.

But how is it compared to the very popular B4? Is it better/worse? Any thougts?

I do think the rb5 looks very hot! And I don't want go main-stream by getting a Associated B4, (if you know what I mean).

I think it's very sad that no one race the Rb5 here in Norway So thats why I ask you Brittish guys who some of you acctually have driven one

Cheers from Norway!
Old 27-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The RB5 is a great car.
I changed from a B4 because i was bored and wanted something different to the main stream.
The car handles great, it is very stable at the back, but has plenty of turn in. It also jumps really well, better than my B4 anyway.
It is also built like a tank, and the new kyosho shocks are super smooth and leak free.

I'd highly recommend it.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 27-01-2008
Mad Member

Well here in Germany the car is not popular. I have sat in front of it with a friend for two entire days and we were not able to get it to run as well as a B4. I don't want to say it's a bad car and other people seem to be doing fine with it.
The thing with the B4 is that everyone has parts, everyone has some sort of setup they can help you with and spares are cheap. It also handles very nicely!

Kyosho is a bit problematic with spares here in Germany. Don't know what it's like in Norway
Old 27-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
The RB5 is a great car.
I changed from a B4 because i was bored and wanted something different to the main stream.
The car handles great, it is very stable at the back, but has plenty of turn in. It also jumps really well, better than my B4 anyway.
It is also built like a tank, and the new kyosho shocks are super smooth and leak free.

I'd highly recommend it.
Thanks for fast reply, Jim

It sounds like a great car. And after some reading on Jimmys rewiew, I am only getting more and more excited obout this car!

What kind of track surface do you race on most of the time?
Old 27-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow.2 View Post
Well here in Germany the car is not popular. I have sat in front of it with a friend for two entire days and we were not able to get it to run as well as a B4. I don't want to say it's a bad car and other people seem to be doing fine with it.
The thing with the B4 is that everyone has parts, everyone has some sort of setup they can help you with and spares are cheap. It also handles very nicely!

Kyosho is a bit problematic with spares here in Germany. Don't know what it's like in Norway
Hm... Intresting. I agree it is very easy to get bitten by the B4-stream, since everybody drives it, and therby got a deacent setup and some spareparts.

Kyosho is a bit problematic here too, but Associated is even more It is a Kyosho shop here, but when I needed parts for my Lazer, they always had to order. Therefor I just order most of the parts from Amainhobbies or from other online stores, which almost took shorter time then ordering trough Kyosho here, and it was cheaper from Usa...
Old 27-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i mainly run on grass or astro. i haven't tried the car indoors yet on carpet.

There a re a few knocking around cheap second hand as the lack of team support makes it unappealing to most.
give it a try is all i'll say. it's no worse than a B4, and you may find it suits you better.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 27-01-2008

I race with Jim, although we have gone our own ways with set up. We have both got better results with the RB5 than with our B4's.

I think really it is because there is not a majic setup lying around you have to work yourideas through with the car and with this i have now got myself a flat flying stable 2wd car. Jim has worked his to be a little more agressive.

Tracks that we have run on,

CML, astro and tarmac
Eden park, astro, concrete and tarmac
Stotfold, astro

Coventry, grass
Silverstone, grass (but scrubs away to loose dirt and craters!!)
Swindon, grass (with a touch of swamp!)

Also carpet at DMS, small tarck and large track layouts.
Old 27-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

lol to the Swindon Track !!!

it is true though. most people put on the "generic" b4 setup, when there may be one that suits then better.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabben View Post
Hello buggy-friends!

The Rb5 have been on the market for allmost a year now. And I am wondering of getting one my self.

But how is it compared to the very popular B4? Is it better/worse? Any thougts?

I do think the rb5 looks very hot! And I don't want go main-stream by getting a Associated B4, (if you know what I mean).

I think it's very sad that no one race the Rb5 here in Norway So thats why I ask you Brittish guys who some of you acctually have driven one

Cheers from Norway!
check out the thread on rc-tech. lots of information.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147740
Old 28-01-2008

My local track is a mix of concrete, loose dirt and some sections with carpet.

Astro, what kind of surface is that? Have heard it before, but never got an explanation...

But I think I just have to get a Rb5, now that you says it works as good as a B4

I have been reading in the Rb5 thread at RcTech now the couple of last days, but I still got like 80 pages to read
Old 28-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

astro turf is basically a kind of outdoor carpet. slightly longer pile usually and sometimes not as grippy as indoor carpet.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 29-01-2008

I run the RB5 on indoor carpet tracks. I'm no top class driver, but I had some good results with a 12x1 V2. Expect to be the odd one out. If you can live with that, you will have plenty of fun with the car. It reacts crisp and clear on setup changes.

I did not break anything yet, so the spares box still well-stocked I have to disagree with Sparrow, as spares are easily available directly from Kyosho Germany. Most parts cost very little (with a few exceptions).

Have a look. Ain't it beautiful?
Old 29-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Astro (AstroTurf) is the sort of material that they make artificial all-weather sports fields out of.

The RB5 certainly does react to set-up changes. Made what would normally be a relatively small change to the car last time out and it reacted way more than I expected ... in a good way but for the first couple of laps it was so different it caught me out. To get that large a change from a B4 would have been a LOT of work ... on the RB5 it was just a simple change.

Get the car ... you will love it!!!!
Old 29-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Get the car ... you will love it!!!!
I think I will Roger:-)

Seems like a excellent car, and in fact, it did finish 7th at the Worlds i Japan which is quite a good result for such a new car!