Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 21-11-2008

Default To Schumacher or not to Schumacher?

Hello guys

What should I do?
I started racing again after a 20 year break
I bought a Losi XXX4 used 3 months ago, but I understand now that this car will not bring me happiness and glory. Therefore I am currently looking for a new car. When I quit 20 years ago I drove a CAT XLS and I am a bit nostalgic, but I see that the BJ4 and B44 should have been my first choice at least when I bought my Losi.. Is it still B44 or BJ4 that rules or should I go for the new CAT SX?
I have done some research and I register that the turnbucles are weak, this I dislike. Really I am looking for a tank that flies like a bee with minimal hopups and minimal work... Is the CAT the right thing??
Old 21-11-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

The cars to have at the moment IMO seem to be the CAT(Still a few teathing problems to be solved but defently looks a good car) (X5 again IMO seem a bit fidlly with the belt tensioners and i think it would be tricky to change a belt)

You defently bought the wrong losi

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 21-11-2008

CAT SX is AMAZING.

I love it. Honestly it is the nuts. Perfect time to get one too, slightly more flexi wishbones mean it is strong enough even for a pants driver like me.

Plenty strong, very very cool and handles beautifully.

http://www.glypo.com/reviews/catsx/

I will be doing a follow up report soon too.
Old 21-11-2008
Mad Member

Yep, I have to agree, the CAT is the bees knees.

I've just changed from a B44 to a CAT SX and the CAT out of the box is a much easier drive. It also seems stronger with thicker 4mm carbon towers and big wishbones. You can fit normal stick lipo's so need to worry about what saddle lipo will be legal. The B44 has a tendency to nose dive a bit if you don't work the throttle spot on whereas the CAT flies nice and flat.

Awesome car that you won't regret buying
Old 22-11-2008

Or you could get the X5 conversion for the XXX4 http://www.4wdrc.com/
http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Old 22-11-2008

If the kabaking is who I think he is, then he doesnt have to worry about sadle sizes, the norwegian federation did not go for the size rules, so we can go for any size we like.

Well, back to topic, I just bought a 501x second hand, and after picking up jimmys carpet setup, I'm really happy with the little blue bling. except for the poor front shock towers, since I broke two in our last meeting. guess I have to double them up.

When it comes to parts, guess we have the same issues with lokal or national support like you have in the uk.

but the 501x is an awsome car.

and guys, please tell mr.kababking that 3,5 BL and lipos are a little over overkill.

sant Richard? Arild skal vel selge sin, den er bygget av Trond, men aldri kjørt en meter.
TRF-415MSXX/LRP
Futaba
www.microracing.se
Old 22-11-2008
Super Moderator

The Cat is awesome

G
Old 22-11-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Yeh the cat is real nice. Very easy to work on! No hopups on my car either I didnt know the turnbuckles were weak

Ben
Old 22-11-2008

I think he means the B44 maybe?

Either way CAT SX turn-buckles certainly aren't weak
Old 22-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

However...from the breakages I saw yesterday..the wishbones and diff outdrives are??

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 22-11-2008
Mad Member

The rumour is that Schumacher is coming out with some new outdrives. I personally have been lucky enough not to break any at all. I did however break a few front wishbones but since fitting the medium flex ones they have been holding up very well.
Old 22-11-2008
Mad Member

Made these.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 22-11-2008

Outdrives are no rumour, I was thinking they would even be here this week.

All I can say is, limit your shocks and widen the car and the outdrives don't break unless it's an extreme crash. Lots of cars broke at the MK GP, and mine didn't. For those that know me, that has to be best advert for medium flex wishbones ever.

sly - your outdrives look insane!
Old 22-11-2008
Super Moderator

Nice Sly, they look simpler than the Trinity style ones I have
Old 22-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Nice Sly, they look simpler than the Trinity style ones I have
Northy, did you made yours in steel or alumium alloy ???

Some pics would be very nice
Old 23-11-2008
Mad Member

I have also made my car wider and am running 2mm plastic spacer on the outside of the shocks to limit downtravel and so far have not broken outdrives at all. Here's hoping the new ones come soon and also that they don't bend drive shafts instead
Old 23-11-2008

Ive been really happy with my 501X. Im in no way the most tallented driver around and this car has seen its share of bumps and bruisers. All in all I have broken a few arms,shock towers and worn a few belts running 5.5 motors and always trying to hit up the big jumps and make those near impossible triple sets of jumps from week to week. The car has been a true performer and the reliability when well lookd after certainly speaks for itself.
But now I have just bought the new CATsx. Everyone that knows me also knows Im a mad keen vintage Schuey nut so it seemed fitting that I give the new car a go. I wasn't sold at first when I looked over the net in its earliest release but after seeing a couple of these cars on the track I was hooked. They simply look damn hot and once i got a better look under the body I knew this car had to be mine. At $600aud it was not cheap but I got in on a better deal than what was going to be around in the future with the aussie dollar heading south-. I am still yet to put her together but I cant wait to have it out on the track. I'll kep you posted on my experiences. Thanks-Jason
Old 24-11-2008

Send a message via MSN to ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliv996 View Post
Northy, did you made yours in steel or alumium alloy ???

Some pics would be very nice
He brought them of me
Old 24-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
I have also made my car wider and am running 2mm plastic spacer on the outside of the shocks to limit downtravel and so far have not broken outdrives at all. Here's hoping the new ones come soon and also that they don't bend drive shafts instead
Hey Carl,
Limit downtravel? Thats wrong, and external limiter limits the uptravel. Hope you haven't limited your downtravel. Im guessing that was a typo mate

I hear the outdrives are being reprofiled as well as strengthened, so not only will they be stronger, but the driveshaft should not touch the internal shoulder of the outdrive either. Thats what I am expecting anyway, don't hold me to it.
Old 25-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Hey Carl,
Limit downtravel? Thats wrong, and external limiter limits the uptravel. Hope you haven't limited your downtravel. Im guessing that was a typo mate
Not if you're coming to the Belgian GP next year.

I chose not to limit uptravel on the CAT, but I widened the car and placed the diffs in the "high" position. Haven't broken an outdrive yet (knock on wood).

I've made the switch from the TRF501X to the CAT SX for next season. The TRF501X seems to be an easier car to drive fast out of the box. But after some minor setup work, I was definately faster with the CAT. And that's all that counts.
Also : the TRF needs some modding and hopups to make it reliable (diffs, shocks, ball caps and ballstuds). The CAT doesn't. So far : I do not regret having made the switch.

Tom Erik and Jason : use the 3racing front shocktower. The first year I ran the TRF, I broke like 4-5 shocktowers. This year I started with the 3racing tower because the Tamiya item was unavailable at the time and it took all the abuse I could throw at it ! Weird because it is actually thinner but I'm guessing they use a lower grade CF with more flex.