Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 28-02-2011

Default What shocks and bearings and general hop-ups? madrat

First off, really sorry if this is a re-post of stuff that has been covered; I have searched the forum but thought I’d drop a post. If there is already a tread on this please PM or post a link.

I'm new to electric RC and have bought a madrat, gone a bit mad and bought 2 lipo batts 5000ma 7.4v and a 5.5t hobbyking motor and esc kit (and a motor heat sink and fan). I'm not looking to win races just have fun and a bit of bashing (bashing is such a harsh term). So I’m looking to get some hopups to enable the car to handle the extra power etc.

I've heard the shocks are rubbish and would like to know what my best option is to replace them if I want something durable but on the cheap side of things.

Also should I buy a bearings kit? If so are there many options of bearings? And again which would you say are good cheap and durable?

And last, are there any metal/alloy/carbon/etc bits that I should get? Some of these cars seem to have weak points that break again and again which are easily fixed by buying a few more expensive parts.
Old 28-02-2011

Hi mate,

I got my bearings from an eBay member called " rcbearings " for a tenner.
Metal sealed bearings are fine for inside the transmission, but be sure to get rubber sealed bearings for the wheels if you drive in dirty locations. Rcbearings supply either.
Re the shocks, I can't help, as mine are still fine. I'm sure somebody will be along to help soon though.
Again, i've not broken any parts on mine yet, but i'd recommend an Rpm b4 wide bumper as it's saved me in some minor crashes.
For hop-ups use http://www.tcmodels.net
They are a brilliant source of aluminium and carbon fibre parts and charge less than 1/2 price of what UK retailers sell them for.
I've attached an image of the said bumper that's proved invaluable.
Btw- you might find that the 5.5t is too much for the car. I use a 10.5t and have geared my car for approx 35-40mph which has proved to be just on the verge of being an handful. I'm a newbie though, so i'm not too clued up as to whether a 5.5t setup will be too much. I've just read this on other forums.
Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01838.jpg (281.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 28-02-2011
Mad Member

TBH if you are not competing with it and just having fun then i wouldn't bother too much with the shocks.

I use mine at club meetings and the standard plastic shocks are fine IMO they respond to set up, they are not pretty to look or won't be very strong in a big impact but they do the job.

I'm running Losi blue front springs with 35wt oil and Losi Pink rears with 25wt oil as the kit ones are a bit soft.

I run a 6.5T 7800KV motor and its silly fast on kit gearing and will run for 20 mins+ on a 5000mah LiPo.

Would recommend you get an upgrade metal idler gear to cope with the motor as my plastic one lasted 3 meetings (roughly hour and half use) till it was worn and needing swapping out.

diff outdrives look to be wearing a little so will look into diff upgrades if it gets much worse.
Old 01-03-2011

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feed back. Shall be putting it all in soon, fingers crossed.
Old 01-03-2011

Frecklychimp... have you a metal Idle..if so where did you get one from?.

Thanks

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 01-03-2011
Mad Member

Here you go:

http://www.jespares.com/electric-mod...tegory_id=1302

Old 07-03-2011

Default oh dears

yeah think that ide gear is a good plan. My brother, friend and I have all destroyed the ide ear and they both broke a shock each. oh well.
Old 07-03-2011

I wouldn't run brushless with out bearings... it's sure fire way to break things as the stresses in the transmission are much higher than a stock brushed motor. As already said £10 should do you OK on Ebay, fit them when you up up the tanny cases to fix the stripped gear(s)
Old 07-03-2011

anybody running Tamiya TRF buggy shocks on mad rat i swear i saw it on a post but not sure?
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo86 View Post
anybody running Tamiya TRF buggy shocks on mad rat i swear i saw it on a post but not sure?
Snap I saw it aswell
Old 07-03-2011

glad i wasnt the only one thought i might have imagined it lol they seem cheaper then new b4 shocks but really need some raced once and there pissin shock oil lol just got look for some second had ones or see if someone confirms tamyia shocks work
Old 07-03-2011
Mad Member

It was my pic i think you saw from a while back.
Cuervo check your pm i have a spare set of shocks if you need
Old 07-03-2011

budgio check ya pm mate