Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 10-10-2013
Mad Member

Thanks guys!

@Graham: It's a very cool idea to have a set on a tree, but unfortunately 3D printing is (still) too costly to put any waste material in there for the sake of being cool The way things are looking now, the sales price of the +8mm mounts will be 14-17GBP.

The current design is too large to be posted in a Jiffy Bag, so I'll also make a version with two parts that fits through the mail box - The 3D printing allows such flexibility to offer loads of options and versions, so why not make use of it?

As for colours, The material is white as standard, and can be dyed or painted. The dying ensures the material has the same colour throughout, but I have no experience with it (yet). Painting (only tested so far with Tamiya PS paint) doesn't go throughout the part, but adheres very well. With the white material, it's possible to take virtually any colour, including Fluorescent colours:

@Tom3012: Thanks for the suggestion I have my concerns it'll compromise the strength of the mount. The spacer may also have a considerable amount of material in it, and as such may be costly on it's own. I'll look into it though, it's an interesting idea!

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 10-10-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Just a suggestion, didnt think of it that way... Possibly do 4mm increments? You could even do it so the 8mm spacer isnt solid, but uses three posts, 2 to the current holes and 1 to the rear, although a slight change in the original part would be needed... Sorry im getting carried away! Wish i had the knowledge and skill to make these kind of parts myself

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 17-03-2014

Is this still being worked on? I would love to get the wing mounts and the side pods.
Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

In fact, yes I have worked on this. Since late October, I've managed to test it plenty of times, of which several times indoors. In the last race I was even using a 3mm thick wing (which I think don't have to explain sends most of the impact forces straight to the wing mounts)...

It's held up perfectly! Now I must make a comment take I also made TLR22 screw-type wing mounts for two cars, and last indoor race I saw a pair break. They were about 4-6 months old and held up well so far, but when the car was lying upside down on the straight someone ran into the car at full speed and both mounts snapped in two at the same spot. So they can break, but to be fair accidents of such caliber reduce the chance of survival of other parts on your car, too

Anyway, back to your question. I'm ordering 3D printed parts regularly, so just send me a PM and I'm sure I can include it in the next order.

Just a note on the one-piece wing mount I have now: It does not fit in an envelope, making postage expensive. Therefore I'll also be offering a two-piece version, which will be cheap to post (and a little cheaper to produce, too).

Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

Would it not be an idea to make the bottom of the screw hole flat? So when you eventually strip the thread (which will eventually happen......) you can just drop a longer screw in and have a nut on the bottom........
Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Would it not be an idea to make the bottom of the screw hole flat? So when you eventually strip the thread (which will eventually happen......) you can just drop a longer screw in and have a nut on the bottom........
When that happens I would either insert a helicoil, or put in a hole from the start where you can insert a nut... That said, I quite like the idea, I'll look into it

Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

Yes, a 5.5 mm slot (some 8th use this I think) or a hex shaped recess would also work well.

I'm not so sure that helicoil is the sort of thing that most racers carry trackside..........
Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Yes, a 5.5 mm slot (some 8th use this I think) or a hex shaped recess would also work well.

I'm not so sure that helicoil is the sort of thing that most racers carry trackside..........
Many people don't even seem to know the existence of helicoils (and I didn't until just over a year ago) - they're great, but with few people carrying them I best either incorporate them before selling the part, or add a slot for a hex nut (the cheaper and easier option)

Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

To update everyone on the situation, this is what the revised mounts look like with the slot for the M3 nut, and of course the two-piece mount (which mostly retain the look of the original mounts):

Old 18-03-2014
Mad Member

Your mention of helicoils has made me think about just buying an M3 kit, probably under €10 on ebay.
Then i can reinforce threaded joints that are regularly used. Things like lower shock mounts, transmission cases, bulkheads and so on.
Saves binning the plastics after a dozen or so uses.
Old 18-03-2014

Nice design but why don't you make 2 piece wing mount with required size adaptor mounted on it? so people can add or subtract the adaptor with vary screw length.
Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooom View Post
Nice design but why don't you make 2 piece wing mount with required size adaptor mounted on it? so people can add or subtract the adaptor with vary screw length.
Because with that construction I cannot guarantee the durability: The spacer extends the 'arm' with which the screw applies force on the mount, thus increasing stresses, making the mount less durable. I can reinforce the mount - to a degree - but with that added material and the spacer a second mount is not that much more expensive anyway.

On an unrelated note to your post, I forgot to mention that the wings are a straight fit from the standard mounts, no modifications required (not even bigger or smaller holes than standard)!

Old 30-03-2014

I would like to order a set of the +8 wing mounts for my dex210 are they available yet? I have paypal funds waiting
Old 05-04-2014

Hi m8

you should get some of these done for the Belgium GP, you will definitely sell them their, see you at the GP
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk