Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 28-12-2009

Default Hello

Hello,

Potential born again racer here. I still have the old Turbo Optima Mid and the little plastic trophies stashed away in the loft somewhere under about 20 years of dust but clearly things have moved on since the last time I was a regular at your old Unsworth site.

So among my many questions are:

When do you race now - I recall it used to be every Wednesday evening and Sundays?

Which are the competitive cars nowadays?

I always raced 4wd, is that still the main grouping?

Would any of the old equipment I have be transferable? 112b era stuff.

Is there any call for the old stuff anywhere?

I'm sure your answers will only give me more questions but perhaps you'll see me as you come round to lap me at some point in the future.

Thanks
Old 28-12-2009
Mad Member

Hello welcome back, it is very different to how you remember it. Now we run brushless motors and speed controlers your 112b(is that the futaba) will probably not run any of the modern brushed motors. The batteries are now Lithium Polimer (lipo) loads off punch and run time. Radio gear is now 2.4 ghz no crystals needed the radio finds its own signal. As for cars the 4wd class has just had an explosion in the last few years you have loads of choice I run the Team Associated B44 very good car. Bury race in the winter indoor once a month and outdoor every week in summer.
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Bring your Turbo Optima and 112b along some time and I'll take a look at at. I'm sure its still usable and I'd rather like one again so might buy it off you! As for transferable - well I don't think the 112b can handle modern motors, (IIRC it struggled with 19t's back in the day) and your batterys are never going to cut it, but I guess if your radio gear is OK thats still usable.

4wd is the most common class at Bury (though oddly 2wd is more popular down the round at Southport!). The Associated B44 is a good place to start - About £235 and race ready from the box.
A brushless motor system starts around £100, this Exceed system is seriously nippy, probably a bit much to start with.
The B44 takes saddle pack batteries, and you'll be wanting modern Lipos. These Intellects from Demon are a little large but will last you a whole days racing with a little topping up. They'll need a suitable Lipo compatible charger - this one is mains and 12V so work indoors and out.

Of course you could save a lot of money up front and get one of these : A Kyosho Lazer Brushless which sorts out the chassis, motor, esc and radio. Its needs a lot of upgrades to reach full race spec, but is good enough to start with. Likewise the brushless system is basic but will do for now. And since the car takes stick lipos not saddles you can get this Trakpower pack. And you could save on the charger with one of these.

Hope that helps!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-12-2009

Default sounds like an advert for Roundabout Toys & JE Spares

Not just satisfied with links to local modelshops you must have been working nights Si
Old 29-12-2009

Default what gear to buy

a few of us bury lads will be going to the roundabout track in denton on monday 11th,if you can pop along to that with your old gear,(some of it might still be useable) ,i started back this year using my old tekin speedo it still worked ok.i still use 15+ year old transmitters for my cars.also we can advise you on what to spend your money on.we race at goshen sports centre in bury now through the summer
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cells View Post
Not just satisfied with links to local modelshops you must have been working nights Si
Or not working until the 4th, no racing until the 11th and bored senseless......

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2009

Thanks guys, the more I see the more it's clear I need pretty much everything! I'll get myself down to one of your meetings in January although I probably wont bring the old kit - it'll be too embarrassing!)

I was always pretty envious of the lads with cats and procats, are they still a good piece of kit?

I'm reading about these new fangled brushless motors and ESC's. Am I right in thinking once you have your ESC it will run a variety of motors or do you need one for each motor?

The old amex card is getting a bit nervous already! Otley modelshop used to be my favourite place for new stuff but it's a bit far away, where would you recommend locally (I'm in Rochdale).

Thanks again
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well I linked you Roundabout in Ashton under Lyne and JE Spares in Middleton. They are about the best locally for 10ths.

I wouldn't worry about the old kit being embarrassing, I'm still running a RC10T.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2009
Mad Member

Default Old kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Well I linked you Roundabout in Ashton under Lyne and JE Spares in Middleton. They are about the best locally for 10ths.

I wouldn't worry about the old kit being embarrassing, I'm still running a RC10T.....

Like si said don't worry about the old kit pal.si has a couple of models that noah must have had on the ark !!!!

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 29-12-2009

Right I have it all back at home again, its bringing back some memories, I just found my old membership card from the club - joined Feb '89!

After a dodgy start I have scavenged some batteries from round the house and once the connections were cleaned the tranny looks like it is still working.

I have put what was my 'best' battery back in the day onto the homemade charger and attached it to my motor to see what it'll do... Better just go and check it's not on fire.

Anyhow this is where I'm at so far cos everyone like pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0838aa.jpg (47.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok well:

1) I want that car!

2) I have an instruction manual for that car I think (courtesy of Rob M)

3) Rob can win our A final using a very similar Futaba Attack radio, so that at least can be kept......

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2009

Yeah I have the original instructions and the box here too.

Batteries are dead, wont take a charge.

So to get going am I right in thinking the following are needed:

New batteries - will lipo fit??
New motor and ESC system
Is the receiver the same as the ESC?
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not surprised the batteries are dead - they weren't designed for long term storage!

Yours is the earlier short wheelbase Mid right? Using stick packs held in by tie wrap type mountings? If so then a stick type lipo should fit, but please note that unlike the old nicads you can't convert stick lipos to saddle ones, so if you got a stick lipo for the mid, then bought a B44 you couldn't use it.
Besides lipos are total overkill for that car - these cost just over a tenner and would get the old girl going. Besides as lipos must not be discharged you should really only use them with a speed controller with a lipo cutoff - which the 112b doesn't have!

If you want to run the Mid before buying a new car I'd suggest the following:
This esc and this motor. The motor is fast but not insanely powerful - some brushless systems would destroy the drivetrain on a mid in minutes. The speed controller is cheap but decent, and can handle hotter motors when you have a chassis that can cope. One of the club (Mark) uses this setup and his car is rapid enough. I'm using the motor (with a lesser esc) in my RC10T precisely because it doesn't wreck the drivetrain.
The esc is lipo compatible.

Esc = Speed controller.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2009

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris Magnum View Post
Hello,

Potential born again racer here. I still have the old Turbo Optima Mid and the little plastic trophies stashed away in the loft somewhere under about 20 years of dust but clearly things have moved on since the last time I was a regular at your old Unsworth site.

So among my many questions are:

When do you race now - I recall it used to be every Wednesday evening and Sundays?

Which are the competitive cars nowadays?

I always raced 4wd, is that still the main grouping?

Would any of the old equipment I have be transferable? 112b era stuff.

Is there any call for the old stuff anywhere?

I'm sure your answers will only give me more questions but perhaps you'll see me as you come round to lap me at some point in the future.

Thanks

Personally i would pop down to the Bury indoors event or Southport sometime and have a chat with some of the lads!

I do like the old RC`s but i really wouldn`t bother as Si demonstrates how poor these perform on a regular basis

Come down have a chat then invest in either an RTR or buy a race spec buggy, as in my opinion you will be throwing money away,the old buggys etc really aren`t very competitive anymore (although Woody would probably disagree) plus you will probably break it and would find it hard to sauce the parts, let it live the rest of its days as a shelf queen

Hope to see you soon over a Bury

Andy
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4miy4 Guy View Post
Personally i would pop down to the Bury indoors event or Southport sometime and have a chat with some of the lads!

I do like the old RC`s but i really wouldn`t bother as Si demonstrates how poor these perform on a regular basis

Andy
I think you'll find its my driving not my cars. In fact, I seem to do better the older my car is - my D4 isn't much older than your Dugra but I'm faster with a 20 year old RC10!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2009
Mad Member

Default rc10

Quote:
I think you'll find its my driving not my cars. In fact, I seem to do better the older my car is - my D4 isn't much older than your Dugra but I'm faster with a 20 year old RC10!
yes i agree si i watched your truck go round and id say it was every bit as good as the new rc10s if not better
Old 29-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4miy4 Guy View Post
as in my opinion you will be throwing money away,the old buggys etc really aren`t very competitive anymore (although Woody would probably disagree) plus you will probably break it and would find it hard to sauce the parts
I think I agree with you. It's already had a fair few years on the track and is probably ready to be retired. I'll pick up a battery though, so I can have a play and decide if I want to re-invest in some new stuff.

Assuming I get back into it, I'll need lots of advice on whats good and what should be avoided.

I'm pretty sure I'd like a Cat unless someone tells me they are now kack?

Does the trakpower lipo go with this? Which charger would you go for?

Any advice on suitable servo, receiver, speed controller and motor would be appreciated - I'd like to reuse my old 27mhz tranny unless there is a performance advantage of getting newer stuff?
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The Cat SX is a good car. Go for the cheaper S1 version as its supposed to be easier to drive. Beauty of the Cat is it takes stick lipos so could be used in the Mid too.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 30-12-2009

Quote:
Besides lipos are total overkill for that car - these cost just over a tenner and would get the old girl going.
Got a battery, put the right connectors onto it and.... nothing!

Battery took a charge off my old charger. Motor seems ok as touching the battery connectors onto it gets the wheels spinning.

So its either the tranny or the receiver that is dead.
Old 30-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

New radio time then. The Ansmann 2.4ghz radio is pretty decent for £66. 2.4ghz means no more crystals needed, its computerised with a 10 model memory and in theory can't get interference.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC