Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 07-01-2016

Default 2 wd confusion

Hello

I started driving off road and chose as advised Durango DX210, but now with all the emphasis of 2wd on high grip and cars coming out with more motor positions than you can shack a stick it, could this lead drivers to go for a 4wd cars.

The 4wd works on any surface, you can move that battery about on some makes but in general is it a all round chassis.
I am thinking of going 4wd as my main car just for this reason as it is one car for all conditions and surfaces.

What do you think.

Neale
Old 07-01-2016

2WD is far more popular at most tracks that I am familiar with but most do have a few 4WD stalwarts as well. 4WD is great fun and I would probably do more but 90% of the cars at the clubs I race at are 2WD so I prefer to race where there are some good battles with the same car.

There is little sign that 4WD is getting more popular but there are always a decent number for the Nationals and Regionals so plenty of racing at that level if that is of interest.

I do agree with your point that there are a lot of choices of 2WD but they are all good cars and have upsides and downsides depending on the track. The DEX210 is an older mid motor design but can be competitive in the right hands. Most at our club have moved onto one of the current crop of cars- the B5M with laydown, KF2, YZ2, PR01 V3 and XB2. But to be fair that is mostly fashion and a bit of following the herd ;-)
Old 07-01-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default 2wd

4wd is more expensive to maintain, 2wd sworkz also do a tidy car (just built mine) that can fit saddles or singles and loads of room if using singles for moving forwards or backwards for weight distribution and the difference on speed is minimal as the mid motored 2wd designs have got so much better so much so that you could be on the same pace as a 4wd easily.

As per Cutting42 comments, I would get rid of the durango as i found it frustrating that one setup wasnt good at the next event and wasnt a consistant car whereas sworkz, yokomo, associated schumacher do very good consistant cars that dont need much maintanence or set up changes once youve found a good setup.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 07-01-2016

Welcome aboard welshy

My lad drives the 2wd sworkz too. The local lads Andy, Chris, Mark, Gav and Lee are all doing really well with it too

Im still driving the b5m, we started on 210's last year, its a bit old and parts arent readily available ( as in you can get them but may need to wait or import them ) plus they are quite rare trackside whereas if you went for a b5m theres lots about lots of parts readily available and easy to set up.

There are as mentioned lots of really good new cars too like the kf2, xb2, yz2, team c evo/tm2 - best bet is to get down to your local track, see whats popular, if you can try have a drive if theyll let you

Last edited by Stickygeko; 07-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2016

Hi Neale,

I can see your point. And like others have said 2wd is certainly the more popular class even in the winter when a few people swap over to 4wd because it is a little easier in the wet.

For me racing is all about fun and having a close battle with someone else. I bought my first 4wd a few months back to compliment my 2wd. 4wd is great because it is easier to drive when the grip levels are low. I still race my 2wd in the winter but tend to favour the 4wd at the moment. 2wd will always be my priority though as it is the more popular class to race in.

So my point is really have both 2wd and 4wd if you can afford it or just focus on 2wd. 4wd will certainly die down a little in the warmer months. As others have said the Durango is pretty old now so maybe choose another car that is popular at your club.

Hope that helps!

David
Old 18-01-2016

Here is another option. I race a Schumacher CAT K1 aero 4wd. I run this at the regionals and also run the same car at the 2wd regionals with the front driveshafts removed turning it into a 2wd car. It works well for my purpose of keeping costs down but running it as a 2wd car it is a little slower than an actual
2wd car.

Gives you something to think about
Old 18-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwheeldon View Post
Here is another option. I race a Schumacher CAT K1 aero 4wd. I run this at the regionals and also run the same car at the 2wd regionals with the front driveshafts removed turning it into a 2wd car. It works well for my purpose of keeping costs down but running it as a 2wd car it is a little slower than an actual
2wd car.

Gives you something to think about

Personally wouldnt do that, hes after a 2wd, if he wants a schumacher its better to get a dedicated 2wd, be it kf or the kf2 - just my opinion
Old 18-01-2016

Odd question really ..

Neale, if you're planning on running at Mendip, then as a relative 4wd newbie I can recommend the 4wd class. We've had some really good close racing over the winter and the 4wd just has more grip than a 2wd on wet astro, its not easy to drive just easier !!

And then get a 2wd for the summer ... doesn't matter which one, they're all good, and then stick with one car and get it setup properly ... job done