Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 17-10-2009

Default rtrs? Any good?

Are the rtr brushless cars at modelsport any good? They are around £250 and only need lipos. I am not intending to race.
Old 17-10-2009
Banned

no many places race 1/8scale its all 1/10 scale buggys. but you mite find a club that races 1/8 buggys over the winter
Old 17-10-2009
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

stampede read the first post it says I WILL NOT BE RACING i think it will be ok but i would defo check wether u can get spares easy for them
Old 17-10-2009
Banned

sorry they should be fine all my rtr traxxas are good cars and the rest of the rtr i have got all my cars from there .thats my local modelshop good model shop
Old 18-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well if you are referring to the Ansmann Vapor Brushless (or the Kryptonite truggy version of the same) then its OK, but very very basic. The ESC is very low current so will be pushed to its limits running 4S to start with.

The car may be cheap, but you will need to spend a lot on Lipos. To get anything like a decent runtime you will be needing 5000mAh packs minimum and they'll need to be 30C or better too. And you need them in multiples of two since it takes 2 packs.
Then if you don't fancy waiting over 2 hours to run it again you will need either 2 lipo chargers or a dual charger.

Basically expect to pay nearly the same again for the batteries and charger. Not so cheap now!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-10-2009

The best bet would be to go for something like the Caster Pro version, then put a Mamba Monster 2200kV combo in there.

As Si Coe said, Lipos will be your biggest cost, cheap lipos just won't cut it in 8th Scale. You'll need at least 25C packs, 30C isn't necessary to be honest.

As a rough guide, two 7.4V 5000mAh packs should get you 30 minutes when just mucking around in a park.

Note that HPI have also released a D8-based RTR electric, with the Castle system in there already. This may prove cheaper than starting from scratch.