Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 06-08-2014

Default New to LiPo - Any Tips?

Hi All,
I've just ordered a:
Turnigy 5000mAh 2S1P 7.4v 30C hardcase pack

Wow, that was big...

Anyhoo - When it arrives what should I do first, do I charge, balance, etc.
I have a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger.

Also what should I set the cut-off voltage on my ESC to?

I'm a little apprehensive about LiPo as they sound dangerous in the wrong hands so I'm just after a few tips for running, charging, caring for, storing.

JIC it's relevent I have a 9.5T Turnigy Trackstar Motor and it's a 2WD Buggy it's being used for.
1/10th Electric Touring: Schumacher Axis 2
Full Scale Petrol: 2013 Focus ST-3
Old 06-08-2014

I'm unfamiliar with that charger but I would put money on it being an automatic type where by you'll select lipo charge, connect the battery up and it will recognize the cell type and set the cut-offs automatically.

As for tips, well always balance charge, it isn't strictly necessary but it's a good thing to do. for storage you could use the storage function on the charger, guess it has one, that will discharge, or charge your cells to 3.3v per cell. most people i know just do their last race and leave it at that voltage til the next time.

just be very careful around the poles, never connect up the wrong polarity, never ever short the battery, use a lipo sack and you should be fine. if anything bad does happen and they well badly then dispose of asap.
Old 06-08-2014

When I got back into racing in 2011 I knew absolutely nothing about LiPo, I had a bit of help from the guys at my local club but mainly I just read this article a few times:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

It's written by a helicopter guy and is quite long but nearly all the info is relevant to cars and it tells you all you need to know about charging, cutoff voltages, storage etc.

Hope this helps
Old 06-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters86 View Post
Hi All,
I've just ordered a:
Turnigy 5000mAh 2S1P 7.4v 30C hardcase pack

Wow, that was big...

Anyhoo - When it arrives what should I do first, do I charge, balance, etc.
I have a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger.

Also what should I set the cut-off voltage on my ESC to?

I'm a little apprehensive about LiPo as they sound dangerous in the wrong hands so I'm just after a few tips for running, charging, caring for, storing.

JIC it's relevent I have a 9.5T Turnigy Trackstar Motor and it's a 2WD Buggy it's being used for.
I don't know that charger personally but it looks like a fairly standard 4 button charger. I would set up the charger manually rather than rely on any auto detection.

You need to make sure it is in LiPo charge mode and set for 2s batteries. Your charge rate should be 5A. Use the balance leads. The battery will come with a storage charge which is about 3.85V per cell, it's best to charge it fully before use.

3.2-3.4V should be a safe cutoff (per cell) on the ESC. Obviously if the ESC does not have a per cell setting, it should be 6.4-6.8V for a 2s pack.

LiPos are safe if used correctly (a lot safer than originally feared). The things you need to avoid are:

- over-discharge (the ESC cutoff should stop that)
- over-charging (correct charger settings will stop that)
- storing them fully charged (if you didn't manage to use a pack on the day you intended to run it, use the storage mode on the charger when you get back). If the pack has been run (but not run flat) you can leave it alone.

Also, balance charge every time - there is no good reason not to.
Old 06-08-2014
Awesome Admin

When you get your lipos it will tell you what voltage to store them at.
I have just bought some lrp saddle packs and they need to be stored between 3.8v and 3.9v per cell and as I've just spent £55 per pair I'm gonna follow that and see how long they last.
Old 06-08-2014

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I'll read up on the link given.

How long does a reasonable pack typically last (before you need to buy a new one)?
Old 07-08-2014

I read the guide, basically answered all my questions
The pack came today, I soldered a deans connector on and gave it a balance charge.
It's amazing how if you use a fully charged NiMH pack the wheels spin at one speed. If you then connect the LiPo Pack (which the charger said has about the same voltage) it's like it's been turbo charged! Really didn't think it would make that much difference but it must be the fact there is no voltage drop when you put the power on.

Cheers for the advice all... Need some more LiPos now!
Old 08-08-2014

Quote:
The pack came today, I soldered a deans connector on and gave it a balance charge.
It's amazing how if you use a fully charged NiMH pack the wheels spin at one speed. If you then connect the LiPo Pack (which the charger said has about the same voltage) it's like it's been turbo charged! Really didn't think it would make that much difference but it must be the fact there is no voltage drop when you put the power on.

It makes a massive difference! I raced with NiMH & used to have to take this double jump almost flat out, from a short straight, to make it, next heat used the Lipo & almost sent the car into orbit!!

As already said, as long as they're not left fully charged for more than a day & storage charged (generally around 7.6v) when not in use, you'll be alright. Just keep an eye for swelling.
Old 08-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
When I got back into racing in 2011 I knew absolutely nothing about LiPo, I had a bit of help from the guys at my local club but mainly I just read this article a few times:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

It's written by a helicopter guy and is quite long but nearly all the info is relevant to cars and it tells you all you need to know about charging, cutoff voltages, storage etc.

Hope this helps
Quote:

Glad the link helped mate, like I said there's a lot of it but all the info you need is there.

oOple admins, can we make this guide to LiPo batteries a sticky?
Old 08-08-2014
Mad Member

A Lipo battery should have no noticeable drop of in performance (in a buggy application) for several hundred charges.
The absolute performance might drop off a few %, but most systems have so much spare performance, you are unlikely to notice!