Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 09-12-2009

Old 09-12-2009

I've explained the situation a few times already. It's less so for the nationals, and moreso for the clubs that only allow hard cased lipos to be run. If you can't run a micro with lipos at your club, and have to run nimh's which are getting harder to come by, are a lot of maintenance, don't have the same performance as lipos, then you're not going to get new people into the nationals, just the same old faces, who are the very same people objecting to this.

Peetbee, I don't remember your proposal sorry.

Also, Wim has done a very good job so far, I consider him a friend, and have him on my facebook, but if I give my reasons for submitting this proposal, then I'll only get a load of abuse from the usual suspects.

It's been said that only a handfull of people turn up at the egm's, so that handfull could fully write the rules to suit themselves, which means more people should attend it, but I thought the very nature of an EGM, was an Extraordinary General Meeting, a one-off. Surely, we should now be setting rules for the next season at the AGM.
Old 09-12-2009

Send a message via MSN to Ben Turner

I would love to see how someone can get through 3 packs of overlanders in a season, it sounds like it would make an AWESOME youtube video

To be honest, I prefer soft cased lipos where you can actually feel and see more of what is going on with the pack, rather then have it all covered up by a nice shiney hard case and then blow someones nads off with no warning
Old 09-12-2009

Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Turner View Post
To be honest, I prefer soft cased lipos where you can actually feel and see more of what is going on with the pack, rather then have it all covered up by a nice shiney hard case and then blow someones nads off with no warning
Well I don't have to worry about that lol

"Confused because by your own 'rules' anyone in that club would be able to run soft lipo cells that are not on the list So still not quite getting the point! If folks on the micro committee can't grasp this you gonna struggle exlaining it to everyone else ! Not having a go just making a statement"

Understand your confusion on this. The rules are there for the nationals. All I'm asking, all I've ever asked for, is that hard cased lipos be submitted to the battery list, but because of how things work, this tends to require a rule being made. If I could buy a set of hard-cased lipos and send them off to the EB for approval myself then I would do that, but I really don't know if that's an option, I think it has to be the manufacturer or distributor.

If I can submit cells myself, then please let me know and I will.
Old 09-12-2009

Just reading the thread as a semi-interested independent party what I think Sarah is trying to get at is there are several clubs that will only allow hard case LiPo that are on a BRCA list to be used at their facilities. Currently there isn't one for Micro so people either have to use NiMH or LiPo and risk expulsion from the club for not following the rules.

By getting the EB board to produce said list will make those clubs happy and give the racers that go to them the opportunity to use LiPo IAW the club rules and not just NiMH.

The national races could use any cell they wanted (soft or hard case LiPo or NiMH) and not be restricted to the EB list.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
I'll put ths in capitals below, so that the hard of reading can fully understand it.

ONLY HARD CASED LIPOS WOULD NEED TO BE ON THE BRCA LIST, NON-HARDCASED LIPOS OR "SOFT" CASED LIPOS, WOULD NOT NEED TO BE ON THE LIST, AND YOU COULD CARRY ON USING THEM.

FFS - Am I speaking another language or something?
So now you are saying that people within this thread are "hard of reading"?
Wow Sarah, you really know how to boost support for your cause!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 10-12-2009

I4n has managed to figure out what I'm trying to do where others have failed?

Cosie - When I've explained this over and over again, what other conclusion should I draw? The people are being thick, just don't get it, or just deliberately trying to wind me up? - which camp do you fall into.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think I fall into the "dont get it" camp..as such.

Maybe the fact that Ian explained it well in one post says that maybe your explanation needs developing??......

If you think its hard going on a forum try explaining that at in the EGM hall.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 10-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I actually understand what you are trying to do, but really, the cell list is first and foremost, for use at the National series, to allow people to have a level playing field(ish), clubs do not have to adopt the battery list, nor any other rule, in essence, as long as the track conforms to the BRCA regs, thats all that is neccesary, I believe.

I can understand those who are racing, not wanting to be forced to buy more expensive cells, but then I do understand the conformity issue too.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

with the whole battery thing, it seems your issue with the EB and not the micro section,

ask the EB to setup a list of micro hard cased LiPo's get them submitted to the EB for approval and there you go.

nothing needs to be chagned with the MIcro section.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As far as I am aware the just because a cell/pack is on the EB list does not mean that the cell/pack in question is any more safe than a cell/pack NOT on the list.

Therefore, surely the arguement that certain clubs have that micros should only run cells on an EB list for safety reasons is flawed?

If a certain Midlands based club stated that micros could only run hard-cased LiPos at their meetings then thats fair enough, but to turn around and say that micros must only run hard cased cells off an EB list seems pointless.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Having read through the EB section on the BRCA site it is possible for anyone to submit a lipo pack to be included on the list and there is no charge.
A micro pack such as the LRP would certainly come within the maximum dimensions for 7.4v pack! I don't know if it would fall foul of the rule regarding exit wires though.

I would say the best thing to do is email the EB and explain why exactly you need the EB list to contain a hard cased micro lipo (ie: clubs and venues requiring it) and see what they say.
You'd need to do it now though as the cutoff for submisssions for the 2010 list is 31st December.

(although I do agree with Cris' comments regarding safety).
Old 10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
If a certain Midlands based club stated that micros could only run hard-cased LiPos at their meetings then thats fair enough, but to turn around and say that micros must only run hard cased cells off an EB list seems pointless.
Ok, this seems to be the point of confusion, so let me try to clarify it.

IF you are running hard-cased lipos, they must or should be from the battery list. I have tried explaining this several times, but look at it another way based on cost.

I'll race lipos at the nationals with a normal rrp of £15. I can't run them at my club, so I have to shell out for 4-5 sets of nimhs at about £15 per set rrp. Now, even though I will get those at trade prices, you can imagine just how much I would have to shell out, and someone who is buying at the retail prices, will have to spend more.

Maybe a rule isn't needed, but I have asked before about submitting cells to the EB and been shot down before, plus, hard-cased lipos are expenisve now relatively speaking, but the more I buy (and other shops) the better deal we get, which can be passed on, and the prices eventually come down.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The reason you get shot down is due to your explanation I think.

I think that the issue lies with ""this club" moreso than anything else. If "club Chairman" says to you that you can only run LiPo off an EB list there is no change in the safety situation just because they may be hard cased and on the EB list.

I think the problem lies with "old school dinosaurs" not really understanding how things work outside of their patch...as such.

All BS aside, if you want the EB to produce a list for micro sized hard cased cells then I would email the EB directly and ask for their advice.
As far as I am concerned from a Committee/Chairman point of view I am against us running to an EB list for our Nationals, however if you want to get a list sorted solely so that "club Chairman" will STFU and let you race then thats fair enough.

This isnt an EGM matter though, you need to contact the EB about this.

If you wanted the Micro Nationals to run solely to an EB list then you would propose it at the EGM...but we all know how that would go lol.

See...I have a nice helpful side.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 10-12-2009

Without support from the BRCA micro section, it's a bit of a non-starter though.
Old 10-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I beleive the 'section' has to approach the 'electric board' with regard to a list, and the rules would be formulated that way, not an individual. I don't think the EB will produce rules and regs without a sections request.
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Is that an official statement from the EB? or just presumption?

Get in touch with the EB first, let me know what they say.

For the record, have you any details on hardcased micro LiPo's to hand?

Make, capacity, dimensions, C ratings, prices etc etc?

Id be interested, if you do, to see that information (my email address is on the brcamicro.org website)

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I beleive the 'section' has to approach the 'electric board' with regard to a list, and the rules would be formulated that way, not an individual. I don't think the EB will produce rules and regs without a sections request.
Well we wont know until she asks, will we

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 10-12-2009

I've asked before about this, and got a very confusing answer back. I'll forward you the emails Cosie.

This is the list of LRP cells, without getting a tape measure out I can't say what's what,

http://www.s-m-d.co.uk/car-c100108.html

but to back that up

LRP79821LRP VTEC LiPo Competition car line 1800 - 7,4V / 28C1 piece£47.9987 x 33,5 x 19mm89,5g
LRP79831LRP VTEC LiPo Competition car line 1300 - 11,1V / 28C1 piece£53.9987 x 33,5 x 19mm91,5g
LRP79862LRP VTEC LiPo Competition car line 5300 - 7,4V / 28C1 piece£99.99137.5 x 46.5 x 43.5mm282g
LRP79880LRP VTEC LiPo Competition car line 3600 - 11,1V / 28C1 piece£99.99137,5 x 46,5 x 23,5mm284g

Last edited by sldmodels; 10-12-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: forgot something