Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 11-07-2013

Default mardave newbie help

just got myself a v12 as struggling to find the time to race 1/8 off road at the moment. i've raced to once at morcambe and loved it but the cars in need of some new foams, but not sure which to get, also what upgrades should i be looking at getting?
Old 11-07-2013

Hi,

You have two choices on the foams - Mardave or Contact rubber.

Where I race (West Suffolk Model Car Club) we find that Mardave rubber works best. Everyone, without exception, uses the UFRA Pink Medium compound on the rear and either the JAP 46 or JAP medium compounds on the front (46 for less grip, JAP Medium for more). We find that this combo works well on our carpet - 12x20m and medium-high grip.

With the Contact option, most drivers I have spoken to at other clubs use the 35 shore rear and 45 shore fronts. Some go to 42 fronts if they need more grip, some who prefer less grip use 50 shore fronts.

Whichever option you choose, my suggestion would be to run two or three sets each meeting, especially if you are using additive. If you use additive more than twice per tire per night you run the risk of over-softening the rubber and your tire wear is increased. I run three pairs of rears and three pairs of fronts and usually wear less than 0.2mm off their diameters each meeting. This means that, on average, I get 4 months or more racing out of my three sets :-) Some guys who run only the one set get through theirs in two meetings flat! Sure, getting the three sets means more cost to begin with but it saves you more over time.

Hope this helps,

James