Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 03-01-2019

Default Best buggy/monster truck under 200 for a 3 year old

Hi

I want to be my 3 year old an RC car

I initally thought giving her a tuned down RB5,RB6,YZ2 and putting an cheap radio in it but that seems overkill

So.... What are the options
Always wanted a Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox
Owned a Manta Ray/ Grasshopper

I have loads of Lipos and imagine that lipos don’t fit which is annoying buying inferior nimh.
Do Tamiya re-release kits have any updates to allow for lipos?
XB expect built or RTR - are they the same as a kit. Just saves me a few hours building it

Any other nicer options Carisma, Associated, FTX, Maverick

Thanks

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 03-01-2019
Mad Member

How about a B5M? They are cheap as chips these days, nearly indestructible, many spares are B6-compatible with small mods (that is, if B5-spares run out any time soon anyway) and if your daughter really enjoys it and gets hooked in a year or two, the car is even suitable/legal for competition

A cartoony car like the Lunchbox is fun (maybe even more fun to start with), but might prove quite fragile in the hands of a youngster: vintage suspension and gearbox, hard bodyshell... I am saying that without first hand experience though, so I could be wrong.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 03-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2019

Thing is if I went down a second hand competition buggy route like a B5M I might as well use an old RB5, RB6 or YZ2 as I never use them. I am
getting back into oople after a break and realize that the forums seem a lot slower for posts and selling stuff. Maybe that’s just my perception - is it still active user base. Seems a bit quiet.

I am realizing there are too many options but think getting a Tamiya Lunchbox. She is 3 years of age and it looks so much fun. I always wanted a Lunchbox and maybe this my excuse to buy one. Also heard they take Lipos.

Trader Feedback Link
Old 04-01-2019

Hi, I have just built a Lunchbox that came from Father Christmas for my 9 year old. He has a Schumacher KF2 for racing but loves the Lunchbox for Garden Bashing.

If your kid isn't going to go racing anytime soon the fun factor of the Lunchbox is probably the way to go. It is still pretty robust. My boy has been fairly rough with it already and hasn't broken anything off. With the silvercan motor it is fun but not fast enough to self destruct. Parts are easy to get and cheap as chips too.

You can put a lipo in the Lunchbox but it needs to be the same shape as and old NiMh. Even then they are sometimes a bit too long and you need to mod the retaining bracket. The silver can and a half decent Nimh will give enough run time though.

We are now looking at upgrades (oil shocks etc..). There are some cheap mods to strengthen up the chassis too. These are easily found on Google searches.

Really depends on what/where you plan on using it?
Old 04-01-2019

Well in the end I just bought a Lunchbox XB for 150 from a modelshop called Jadlam Toys and Models. I guess the ball bearing I will steal from my spare box as I have loads of spare bearings from the cars I own. Just need to pick up a few spare batts now. Cannot wait.

Trader Feedback Link