Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 06-10-2014
Mad Member

Default Wheelbase length - D413

Out of interest has anyone else noticed that the D413 seems to have quite a short wheelbase. Compared to my xb4 or db2 it seems like it is around 8mm shorter. Is this good or bad?
Old 06-10-2014
Mad Member

Good on the higher grip stuff but can be challenging when the grip is very low. All that said tho, mine was brilliant yesterday at Worksop after a little consultation with team leader Rich Lowe. It felt awesome in the final. Can't wait for the next one. I've got a great starting point now. Should hit the ground running.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 06-10-2014
Mad Member

That is interesting cheers
Old 07-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The car is on the shorter end of the scale, which has advantages and disadvantages. I'd like us to have the option of a longer chassis and will ask Torrance when he gets chance - they've been working on the 8th worlds stuff up until recently.

Mine was really good at Worksop this weekend, considering that was the first time running there with lots of competition who'd had chance to turn laps the night before I'm dead happy
One or two little thing's I'm going to try at Chadderton this Sunday which is largely similar to Worksop and I'll be hitting the ground running at round 2 in a couple of weeks!

Worksop setup will be appearing in the Team Setup's thread a little later...
Old 07-10-2014

Default wheelbase

I have been testing a 16mm longer chassis.Have tried it on grass Sunday and Maritime tonight.So much smoother to drive.So predictable in what the car is going to do.Q7 tonight first time out and finished 6th.It drives how my DARC durango use to so i am pleased with that.Only wanted to see if there was any difference in swb and lwb.I am pleased how it handles,and will be sourcing a c/f chassis instead of the heavy ally chassis that is currently fitted to the car.

Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 08-10-2014
Mad Member

BUT...

Is it the extra length or the heavy chassis thats given you these benefits...?

Presume 16mm was derived from the "slack" thats in the drivetrain and that you haven't sourced new driveshafts?

p.s. how are you finding the B5 front shock caps?
Old 08-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What have you done about the propshafts? Personally I think +10mm would be about right, added to the front - although adding the length behind the centre bulkhead would be easier and give more lipo position options
Old 08-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
BUT...

Is it the extra length or the heavy chassis thats given you these benefits...?

Presume 16mm was derived from the "slack" thats in the drivetrain and that you haven't sourced new driveshafts?

p.s. how are you finding the B5 front shock caps?
Need to make the chassis out of c/f and see if it is the weight.Will let you know once i have compared the two.

The front center shaft is 80mm so i sourced a 96mm replacement.With a little fuel tube at the spur end it stops a lot of friction without the end to end movement.

The front shock caps have been superb so far.Not saying that the stock caps are bad i just needed a bit of a fail safe.
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk

Last edited by spindles69; 08-10-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
What have you done about the propshafts? Personally I think +10mm would be about right, added to the front - although adding the length behind the centre bulkhead would be easier and give more lipo position options
Hi Richard,

The front stock driveshaft is 80mm,so i sourced a 96mm replacement.
All that i wanted to find out is whether a longer chassis would benefit what is already a great car. The reason that the chassis is 16mm longer is because the rear lipo brace fore and aft position points are 16mm apart.So for me to get the geometry of the chassis as straight as i could i used these points as a guide.Once i had drilled all the rear holes i needed all that i did was move the chassis to the forward points and drilled the front holes.Now i know that the chassis works i will get it made in c/f and then i can determine whether its the extra weight or the extra length that makes the difference.
Will keep you all posted.
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk

Last edited by spindles69; 08-10-2014 at 04:26 PM.