Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: abandon the electric board homologation list?
yes 97 43.89%
no 115 52.04%
abstain 9 4.07%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2014

Well as far as I was aware hobbyking haven't submitted? Or have they?
Old 07-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazp83 View Post
Well if hobbyking lipos escs and motors were allowed by the brca then sales of other products would drop.
If this would be the case and everyone would go for the cheap option, why isn't everyone buying Gens Ace cells? They are the same price as Hobbykings cells and a few of them are already on the EB list.
Old 07-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Written rules in a manual do not help with an understanding of how we got there and why they exist. I have been racing only for 2 years and was not involved back in the days some of you are referring to.
Here's a good example.
In 2007 the bike section didn't use the lists, and their rules specified that the electric bike stock class was restricted to a 27T stock motor. At the worlds the winner was way ahead of everyone else due to a one off special hand wound and balanced motor that was built by Corally to fit the motor specs.

The equivalent today is that if you don't use homologation lists then Novak will happily sell you one of their Vulcan Outlaw motors. They are special motors with hand wound stators with special low resistance wire and would cost around £30 more than a normal motor. Or you could also use the Corally Pro Red range that is specifically banned even by clubs being more open about the motor rules
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Wrong knowledge - most Sections do run to the lists. Get you rfacts straight...
Many? Most? Semantics, I make it 4 who don't which I chose to call many. Hardly getting my facts wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
That's the problem Jim is talking about - this is just exchanging views. Much of the rest is not knowledge, it is just supposition and uninformed comment. That's what Jim, Terry and I keep saying - check your facts and stop posting what is frankly, bollocks.
Gee thanks for the constructive criticism. I disagree with you as well. We are all learning from this, from Jim, Tom and possibly even you. Hardly helpful to say shut up and read the manual is it?

Its one of the ways we learn by discussion and debate. As it happens the points made mostly by Tom make a lot of sense and put the current situation in perspective and how we arrived here. I can also appreciate the potential for it to get out of hand again in the future and see the list has value.

That was my point, I did not see the value before, now I do. Not from reading a set of rules but by the interchange of views and opinions on this fine forum.
Old 07-11-2014
Mad Member

Fookin ell, this debate still going? That's well over a week now. Laws of the land are sometimes decided quicker than this.

You do all realise that you're all using up space in your real life to get het up about battery packs for model cars.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 07-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Well if hobbyking lipos escs and motors were allowed by the brca then sales of other products would drop. I'm obviously all for shops and get all my spares etc from herts or anywhere that has it online.
If someone's voting to create a monopoly on the market then that's unfair
Quote:
Well as far as I was aware hobbyking haven't submitted? Or have they?
Correct they have not submitted them, so when you say if they were allowed? If they submitted them they would be........they have not, their problem, not the brca.
Old 07-11-2014

Oh okay I thought you knew why they hadnt submitted or weren't allowed on the list.
Have a fun weekend racing
Old 07-11-2014

As a newbie to the hobby i have found that the BRCA lists have been a great help in choosing what equipment to buy which is safe, but also commonly used. Without them as guidance i would of needed to ask a lot more questions, but i wouldn't also feel as confident with the electrics as i do now.
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBaker View Post
As a newbie to the hobby i have found that the BRCA lists have been a great help in choosing what equipment to buy which is safe, but also commonly used. Without them as guidance i would of needed to ask a lot more questions, but i wouldn't also feel as confident with the electrics as i do now.
Excellent reason for having the lists, enough said
Old 07-11-2014
Administrator

Homologation is for fair competition - it doesn't affect off road, so it shouldn't be used. The last time this thread cropped up some people went MENTAL, particularly at me, because they CAN'T READ the words "OFF ROAD"
It isn't for safety.
A BRCA 'recommended reading' (suggested motor/batteries) list would be more worthy than a list of people who paid to be on it to sell more stuff.
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Homologation is for fair competition - it doesn't affect off road, so it shouldn't be used. The last time this thread cropped up some people went MENTAL, particularly at me, because they CAN'T READ the words "OFF ROAD"
It isn't for safety.
A BRCA 'recommended reading' (suggested motor/batteries) list would be more worthy than a list of people who paid to be on it to sell more stuff.
This post needs a 'like' button
Old 07-11-2014

The safety aspect is tenuous at best, ANY lipo can cause a fire, it's the nature of the beast.
I have only ever had one battery go bad on me and that was on the approved list
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
It isn't for safety.

Agreed
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post
The safety aspect is tenuous at best, ANY lipo can cause a fire, it's the nature of the beast.
I have only ever had one battery go bad on me and that was on the approved list
As has been said before, the list doesn't ensure the battery is safe, just that there is a paperwork trail back if there is a fault......
Old 07-11-2014

Ground hog day anyone?
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Ground hog day anyone?
I think it is more like 'Life, Die, Repeat'!
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I think it is more like 'Life, Die, Repeat'!
Damn good film! Reckon they had lipos in their exosuits?
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzerH View Post
Damn good film! Reckon they had lipos in their exosuits?
If they were, they weren't on eh EB list.... but it was a one-off event and not sanctioned
Old 07-11-2014

It was 1 up man ship that made me give up racing 20 years ago for the fact that a paper boys salary wouldn't cut it, not blowing myself up but at 10 years old was regularly on the podium up to winning An A final at 16, but sadly My cells just wouldn't manage a 5 minute heat on a 14x2 in 4wd so that was that, anyway a mate got me back into it and I praise the work of the BRCA, and wish everyone could just focus this on helping people into racing rather than deterring just to promote some slightly cheaper lipo's
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by beale View Post
It was 1 up man ship that made me give up racing 20 years ago for the fact that a paper boys salary wouldn't cut it, not blowing myself up but at 10 years old was regularly on the podium up to winning An A final at 16, but sadly My cells just wouldn't manage a 5 minute heat on a 14x2 in 4wd so that was that, anyway a mate got me back into it and I praise the work of the BRCA, and wish everyone could just focus this on helping people into racing rather than deterring just to promote some slightly cheaper lipo's

well said!