Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 12-02-2019

Default HB Lightning 2 Sport - tinkering & tuning

Hi all,

Many years ago when these were new I bought one just for some bashing, and then donated it to a friend of mine who'd always wanted a nitro buggy.

Fast forward 10 years and I've just borrowed it back off him as I intend on entering a few club 1/8 races just for a laugh. I know it's not as quick and nimble as the latest stuff but it's all about fun.

First off I've tuned the carb to what I reckon is about 90% perfect - good trail of light smoke at WOT but still a bit boggy at the bottom. New plug in (R4).

I've stuck in a Savox steering servo as the HPI one couldn't even turn the wheels full lock when stationary! Also shoved one of my 2.4 RX's in.

Pullstart stuck out on me the other day, so stripped it down, pulled out and cleaned and oiled the clockspring, cleaned and greased the 1 way bearing and put it back together (don't want to do that again in a hurry!).

Regarding battery packs, it's still on the 4xAA dry battery holder which fits neatly in the RX box. Are there any 6V rechargeable options that will fit in this space? They all seem to be hump packs.

Next job on the list is to rebuild the diffs with proper weight oil in, as it pushes straight on at the slightest hint of throttle. 7000F, 10000C and 3000R sound about right?

Finally - fuel. Manual states 20%, as it's a .26 engine not a .21 (don't worry - won't be entering Nationals!). From a quick look it seems it's made by OFNA - it looks identical to this:

http://www.ofna.com/eng-force-26.php

Would it be wise to still run on 20% or will I see any benefit changing to 25%?

Lot of questions I know, but coming from racing 1/10th it's all new to me. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2019

After being inundated with replies I thought I'd update this for anyone else in the same boat.

There's a 6.6V LiFe pack that fits in the same space as a 4xAA square pack perfectly, so it's now running that.

Diffs were done to 7k/10k/7k as I didn't have any 3k to hand, and it drives SO much better now. They were all grease filled from the factory.

A set of pre-mounted Schuey spikes has increased the track by 5mm, again making handling better, and sitting at the same track as a mate's Losi 8ight now.

Not got round to trying different fuel yet but it's next on the list.