Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-12-2019

Default Buggies for racing... 1/10th

So I'm really wanting to get back into racing. Trying to figure out what options there are these days in the off road scene.

I've compiled this list of what I believe are the current offerings. Hopefully it might prove useful to others.

Please feel free to comment on any I have missed or any errors. I would also welcome peoples feedback on the various models. Despite starting racing in 1993/4, there are a few names on here I am totally unfamiliar with such as; Serpent and PR Racing.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2019-12-04 14_46_30-Racing cars - Google Sheets.png (35.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-12-2019

I have also been trying to compile a list of past models. As when looking for a used racing buggy, it is handy to know what the proceeding model was called.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2019-12-04 14_49_09-Racing cars - Google Sheets.png (28.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 04-12-2019

You might want to add S-Works to your list.

I recently got back into racing 9 months ago after a 17 year absence.
I bought a used Cougar KC to get me back in and its been brilliant although the batteries and brushless motors etc has been a learning curve.
The Cougar KC is for Carpet, Cougar KD is for Dirt tracks, and the Laydown only comes in the one configuration which I think is carpet focused.

From what I can gather the Associated RC10 B6.1 is the weapon of choice for alot of racers, Schumacher are still popular, and Team Losi are not the dominant force they use to be. I don't know an awful lot about the other brands but the X-Ray cars also seem popular.
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 05-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty2332 View Post
The Cougar KC is for Carpet, Cougar KD is for Dirt tracks.
How much of a disadvantage would a KD be if used on carpet? I know the KC is more tailored for carpet, but the KD still has the motor in front of the rear axle? I assume the KD would just have more push in the corners.
Old 05-12-2019

I don't know I have only driven the KC, and haven't seen a KD as I race on Astro & Carpet so nobody at the club I race at has a KD.
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 05-12-2019

I would go to the club you plan to race at and see what models people run. You can then get advice on how to setup the car for those track conditions and also if you break there may be someone there with the spares you need.

I run the Associated B6.1 which is easy to setup and very strong.

If you wanted a cheaper option the Associated B6 is very similar and has lots of interchangeable parts.
Old 06-12-2019

Absolutely the first sentence of this ^^^^^

Chat to as many people as possible.

Do your homework

Don't be afraid to buy used - be wary of some on Facebook, but most on here are trustworthy.
Old 09-12-2019

If you decide to go down the TLR/Losi route I have a 22 4.0 for sale with heaps of spares and quite a few upgrades (brass bulkhead, aluminium gear diff etc). Also have a new uncut/unpainted shell to go with it. I've raced it on astro for the past 6 months, it's an excellent, competitive car.
Old 11-12-2019

All cars are good and affordable, but check spare parts prices and options (at least the price of the brand car in one year...)

As example, I run a Kyosho RZ6/7 and SC6, and it s a shame to find spare parts available in Europe dealer ....I must order to US ou Japan....delay in 3 weeks..for front sway bar kit...or silly plastic parts that broke on crash...

AE / Xray / Schum are the main brands, AE is a great car on every surfaces, and parts are cheap