Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 09-01-2014

Default WOW things have changed in 25 years!! :)

recently had a real desire to get back into racing RC cars, not a lot going on near me, my local club (220 mile round trip) was fading away sadly and appeared to be more nitro orientated and they dont float my boat.

now they have an off road track and Im hoping to get up there soon to check it out, see whats in use, what kits are supported best for spares ( I will be needing many wishbones I expect) LOL

thought I have a browse online shops and this forum as well to look at what people think of various kits and parts

last time I was racing electric you had to have more motors than tyres, almost as many packs of batteries and if you got past 4 minutes without dumping then you were doing well LOL

a schumacher topcat in 1988 was my first decent car, had been attending local club with a hornet and a boomerang prior to that. raced at southend track with the lil shed and a man pressing your race number on an acorn electron computer each time you went past LOL

strange thing is that the topcat was £99.99 in 1988, so compared to todays prices things really arent that bad, lipo and brushless really seem to have changed the game.

rather excited now to have a go again, watched some videos online and a bit intimidated to be honest as the speed of them now, but hey, every club needs a mobile chicane
Old 09-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

hehe you will find many old timers on here that understand just what you are saying I have been racing 30 ish years and I tell those old tails to the young guns of days when you had to gear your car to last 5 min…Just! and dumping on the last lap, boxes of tyres and one set of cells for every run. Was explaining to my son how we used to have to pace the heat in the old days, as if we were to drive the car flat out from the start line you were unable to last 5min

last time I set the timer on my transmitter for a practice run on the dirt track I did 12min before the lipo cut off, with a 7.5 in my 2wd, car is so quick down the straight I struggle to keep the front on the ground, and that was with a 2 year old second hand lipo

10+ years ago you would never have dreamed of that sort of run time

Get some gear and head to your local track, don't think there is a club in the country that wouldn't welcome a new member, It will all come flooding back before you know it

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 09-01-2014

Hey Tony,

2wd class seems to be the most popular nowadays. Two packs of lipos will get you racing and if youre running on astro a set of Schumacher yellow low profile cut staggers for the front and Ballistic Buggy rear greens for the cold/damp and whites when its warm and that all the tyres you need , some people run yellow mini spikes as well but its a matter of choice.

Ask around what is popular at the clubs you want to race at, that way set ups and help will be forth coming. At our club Durango 210 and Yokomo Bmax 2 are the most popular rides and youll find good deal for both here on Oople, spares are plentyfull for these cars as well as they are well supported.

Hobbyking offer good prices on Lipos and chargers to get you running.

Hope this helps and enjoy your comeback
Old 09-01-2014

Hi, thanks, think its you thats been helping me thru the facebook page.

will certainly be up to the mendip track soon as I get a chance to see whats being used and whats supported with regards to spares.

would love something like a B4 or cougar as I like the look of them LOL, but no point if I cant get spares.

think I will try and get started with 2nd hand car and radio to keep costs down, and minimise losses, just in case I really am too old to teach new tricks LOL
Old 09-01-2014

Hi Tony

I've been racing since about 1985 and remember the old days. I still have my PB Mini Mustang.

I run a club near Ottery St Mary in Devon.

If your close by come and see us. Our next meeting next Wednesday evening the 15th Jan.

Cheers

Paul

2014 & 2013 BRCA 4WD 1/10 Off Road Southwest Regional Champion
1998 BRCA 1/10 IC Circuit British Champion
www.racing-cars.com/
WWW.WESTCOUNTRYRESORTS.CO.UK
WWW.TRCMCC.CO.UK
Old 13-01-2014

well, I had a great day up at Mendip Raceway, so many people happy to offer advice and show me bits, watched some racing and even bumped into a few people I knew

I now almost certainly quite possibly almost know what buy LOL

not one of them as you might not be able to get spares, not one of them as they fragile, not one of them as they wont work here, not one of them as theres no purple bits

love just how much things have changed and how simple it now seems with batteries and motors etc

apart from initial outlay of the stuff to get started etc, things like tyres and spares seem very reasonable.
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane