Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

View Poll Results: I really really want a rerelease kit!
I would buy a new Schumacher Cat XL kit now! 44 19.56%
I would buy a new Schumacher Cat XLS kit now! 134 59.56%
I would buy a new Schumacher Cat SWB kit now! 61 27.11%
I would buy a new Schumacher Procat kit now! 67 29.78%
I would buy a new Schumacher Bosscat kit now! 65 28.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Id have a XLS, Procat and Bosscat.

One car not ont he list id have, the illusive TOPCAT!
Just concentrating on the epic 4WD kits for now, maybe 2WD in future if we're successful?
Old 18-09-2009

Al,

Loved those two at the time, can't justify the outlay for the comp. kits now though.

But if the Pro and Boss were re-released, well, I'd sell a Kidney to get them
Old 18-09-2009

I think it's a great idea to re-release the old cars.I've been buying parts to restore my XL XLS and Top Cat for a few years but there hard to find these days.I hope it happens.
Old 18-09-2009
Mad Member

I'm with Chris, the one car i'd take a shot in the mouth for is a TOPCAT

FIT!
Old 18-09-2009
Mad Member

there are two cat xls on ebay at the moment
Old 18-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've thought about this, and realise now that the business about MMS stuff is probably why I'd prefer a Procat. The Procat was the first version that didn't really need MMS diffs and layshafts, though they were better. The XLS used to kill standard diffs even with the motors of the day.

A simple re-release won't cut it. Todays cells and motors, even the milder stuff are much more than the early Cats were made for. They simply won't survive. What is needed is what Tamiya have done with the Buggy Champ - its not just a re-re Rough Rider, its been subtly re-engineered to look identical to the original, but perform more in line with 21st Century standards.

And quite honestly I doubt Schumacher will want to devote the time and money needed to do this to a 20 year old race car........

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I've thought about this, and realise now that the business about MMS stuff is probably why I'd prefer a Procat. The Procat was the first version that didn't really need MMS diffs and layshafts, though they were better. The XLS used to kill standard diffs even with the motors of the day.

A simple re-release won't cut it. Todays cells and motors, even the milder stuff are much more than the early Cats were made for. They simply won't survive. What is needed is what Tamiya have done with the Buggy Champ - its not just a re-re Rough Rider, its been subtly re-engineered to look identical to the original, but perform more in line with 21st Century standards.

And quite honestly I doubt Schumacher will want to devote the time and money needed to do this to a 20 year old race car........
You're right they won't do that, Tamiya are a much bigger company and can afford the added costs Schumacher can't.
Old 18-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Can't be that hard to do though, re engineer the diff cams to fit SX diffs, with wide gear for the belts and new layshaft, off it goes. Of the ballraced MMS steering was a big upgrade on the Procat, but the Bosscat steering was fine and should go straight on.
Old 18-09-2009
Mad Member

Come on Chris it's Schumacher so it's never that straight forward!
Old 18-09-2009

Default cat

id dig an original swb,xl,xls and dont change a thing,i have heaps of old ni-cd packs that still have good punch,also motors & electronics. i reckon it spoils the look of the old cars with new electronics etc dont care how fast they go in comparison to new cars.
Old 18-09-2009

I agree,just keep everything original.The first Cat needed wing wire and role bars bending and were harder to build but I think it was worth it.
Old 18-09-2009

I'd love to see them rerelease them.

I've got a pretty nice never run SWB, a few XLS's and a couple of Procat/bitsas.

I think if they were to be made they should come with an upgraded bosscat style transmission (original trannys were pretty crap) with slippers to handle more modern power, but otherwise keep them originalish.

Actually what I'd really like to see is a retro styled XLS based car with strong transmissions and modern suspension/tyres, but keep it looking original styled with the orig XLS shell. Something like what was done with this Hotshot:

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model...=65482&sid=418
Old 20-09-2009
Mad Member

Cat XLS seems to be the winner so far!
Old 20-09-2009
Mad Member

I think Schumacher would want a lot more numbers than we've mustered here to even comsidering a re re.
Old 21-09-2009

It'll be great if Schumacher would re re the CAT XLS. It's my favourite buggy all all time...
Old 25-09-2009

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

SWB. Yes.

If nothing else, re-pop the bodies and undertrays for the SWB. They are harder to find than hens teeth.
Old 25-09-2009
Woop Woop Member

id love to say yes and have it be the swb cat but to be honest it was the xls that really took off. perhaps a masami version could be done, i know the xls was the same but the name would sell loads .....only question is how much would he want for royalties lol

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 25-09-2009

Default WHICH CAT???

Damn it! Do we realy need to decide on just one? By far the best of the lot would be the Bosscat if you wanted to run a vintage schumacher as this was the last refinement on the original design and by far the most reliable if you consider the kind of power you want to lay down.
Aside from this the SWB car would possibly be the most desirable for the shelf as it was a handful to drive but also because its the car that started it all. Rereleasing the SWB car would be by far the coolest thing Schumacher could ever do as it would take the company back to its origins.
But for me it would by a tie between the XLS and PROCAT as they are both pre 1990 cars that did exceptionaly well back in the day. The XLS would be my pick of the two simply because of the chrome rims.....yeah Im a sucker for those chrome rims , what can I say...
Old 28-09-2009
Mad Member

All votes in?
Old 29-09-2009

"the car that started it all". Rereleasing the SWB car would be by far the coolest thing Schumacher could ever do as it would take the company back to its origins.
But for me it would by a tie between the XLS and PROCAT as they are both pre 1990 cars that did exceptionaly well back in the day. The XLS would be my pick of the two simply because of the chrome rims.....yeah Im a sucker for those chrome rims , what can I say...[/quote]

I know it off the debate a little but I thought the Kyosho Optima was "the car that started it all", When the Optima came out there wasnt much that could keep with it at my club, them the Cat XLS came out and wiped the fllor with the Optima!!