Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 06-03-2011

Default 5.5t

any body got any thoughts of running a 5.5t in mad rat at club level? gearing
24 pinion 80 spur gear or could you run stock pinion and spur?
Old 06-03-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Personally i think a 5.5 is far too much, a 6.5 or 7.5 should be the fastest you'd want to go

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 07-03-2011

Default erh!

I'm a bit new into this but my brother, my friend and I all bought a 5.5t motor and esc,(ezrun) running on just normal ni's (7.2v 3000ma) and on the lowerest setting for take-off (1!) and loosened the slipper off and compressed the spring but this weekend we have all stripped the gears. Not got around to opening them up yet to find the problem but I would say that 5.5t is a little to snappy.

I heard (read) somewhere that for racing you are better off with a 8.5t but running it on 11.1v lipos or 14.8v lipos, this will out proform a 5.5t because it only draws about 3600kv rather than 6000kv, this should give better instant power for jumps, better topspeed and takeoff, ofcourse the downside is the battery is even more £costly£ and more weighty. (p.s this is second hand information and is only what I have read but seems logical)

OHH! Anyone know of any RC shops on the IOW that sell madrat parts, I.E gears ?! Want to get my car running again asap as my lipos have got here today, yay.
Old 07-03-2011

I'm running an 8.5T at the moment and have found it pretty spot on in damp conditions. Yesterday was my first outing on dry astro and while the car was good the extra oomph of a 7.5 would have been good. Not sure my reactions are good enouh for a 6.5 or 5.5 - would just get me to the next crash sooned!
Old 07-03-2011

iamdigger are you planning to replace the gear with a metal one? it was the ezrun kit i was looking at, just seems you can get 5.5t cheaper then a lower turn motor thought i could power it down using esc
Old 07-03-2011

I'd also check that the clubs allow 5.5t... personally I feel that a 5.5 is a bit over the top for anything

J.

ANVIL-GFX
Old 07-03-2011

yer 5.5 is okay for club theres people running 4t in b4s!! just not sure about pinion and spur for 5.5!!
Old 07-03-2011

Default madrat gears idle

There's a guy on ebay calling 0planning or planning0 who has a 8.5t kit (motor is rebranded ''BULLSTORM'' but the same) i bought our 5.5t off him and they were a good price. I think the best thing to do is get down a local track and ask about. It what i'd sooner do at the mo.

Hopefully for me it should be the idle gear that is gone, so the thing is if I(me and my brother) just replace the old one at least the problem in contained, i'll just buy 10 or so and swap them out at £2ish a time (I believe people call it and sacrife gear/method so the fault does not contuine down the line and break something weaker and more exspensive, ie Put in a metal one and risk moving the problem onto the whole diff and then having to replace that instead.) Saying that I think i'll try an ally one and see how it goes.

Wheres the best place to buy multiply new replacement parts and get them quick ? I.E not hongkong and not gonna buy a whole rat as it's just the broken gears.
Old 07-03-2011

yer your right about the idle gear being suicide part i think, was at my local track yesterday was good but no one running the rat i think ebay is good for spare parts there seem to be alot of parts on there or JE spares there sponser on here have alot of parts
Old 07-03-2011

do people think the stock 80t an 21t pinon would be any good with 5.5t motor ?
Old 07-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdigger View Post
I heard (read) somewhere that for racing you are better off with a 8.5t but running it on 11.1v lipos or 14.8v lipos, this will out proform a 5.5t because it only draws about 3600kv rather than 6000kv, this should give better instant power for jumps, better topspeed and takeoff, ofcourse the downside is the battery is even more £costly£ and more weighty. (p.s this is second hand information and is only what I have read but seems logical)
I wouldn't follow that advice, for racing a 7.5 or 8.5 running a 2S 7.4v lipo is more than enough power for a 2wd car.
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
I wouldn't follow that advice, for racing a 7.5 or 8.5 running a 2S 7.4v lipo is more than enough power for a 2wd car.
yer your right i wouldnt want to run more then 2c also at other clubs its all you can run in 1/10th
Old 07-03-2011

I'm using a 10.5t 4500Kv geared 29/80 on 2s which is hitting somewhere between 45 - 50mph i'd guess.
I'd dread to think what a 5.5t would be like in terms of tyre wear.
Old 07-03-2011

I'm the same as damselfly but running a 27t and she is so dam quick
Old 07-03-2011

ill let you know on sunday!! think she might be a hand full gunna have to stock up on spares i think
Old 07-03-2011

can i ask where did you get your pinion from? think in gunna need something higher the 21t if you guys are running 27t pinion i think acceleration with 21 pinion will be too much!
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo86 View Post
can i ask where did you get your pinion from? think in gunna need something higher the 21t if you guys are running 27t pinion i think acceleration with 21 pinion will be too much!
Www.fusionhobbies.co.uk
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
I was just stating that it would be better to get a 8.5 / 7.5, and if that is not fast enough buy bigger volt lipos rather than a 5.5t motor and have the best of both worlds. I have a 5.5t and everyone has said the same thing ''oh dear''. Should have got a 8.5 !

Also I have now got my lipos and will fix the car asap and let you folks know how it is. If anyone has a 8.5t and can get hold of a 11.1v lipo I'd (and possible others) would be interested to know what it's like.
Old 07-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I've been considering what adjusting the end points on the throttle would do for, say, a 5.5T (lets say a Novak Ballistic at 7400kv, as they kindly provide a chart here) v a 8.5T (5000kv).

In terms of speed, the extra ~50% revs could be capped by setting max throttle end point to 66%.

This of course doesn't take into account torque differences, which I suppose on the quicker motor could be smoothed out by gearing up, increasing timing (EZRun is sensorless, so only on the motor endbell, if possible), reducing punch on the ESC and putting some negative exponential on the throttle (needs a decent radio for that feature).

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 07-03-2011

Default what i found

Pulled the gearbox apart and found that the green bushed (bearing) on the shaft of the pinion has worn and/or melted the gearbox casing and made the hole it fits in about 2 to 3 mm bigger causing the pinion shaft and gear to move away from the idle gear, there's a small amount of wear to the gears. So going to get a new gearbox case and buy a bearing kit this time.
Then should be able to test the standard gears till destruction and see what gives!